Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Kruge's Pet

Has anyone else wondered what Kruge's pet was from STIII was? A Klingon version of a dog?

kruges-pet2.jpg

kruges-pet1.jpg

Mod's note:

I am hosting the pictures you tried to post as they were blocked by the website you copied them from. A note to all members, remember when you are posting pictures from another site to the boards, please save them to your hard drive and upload them from your computer. Most sites have deactivated the ability to post pictures from their sites on others (such as www.ex-astris-scientia.org) as it affects their bandwidth numbers and that costs them money.

Takara

It was a Targ, a wolf-like creature that Klingons hunt for food and sport and in some cases, keep as pets.

Are you sure? A targ was seen on the Enterprise-D and it was similar to an Terran boar, not wolf like.

Targ.jpg

I think they are all the same animal, that is Targs but their differences in appearance represent artistic license being taken, a possible in story explanation would be they are different species of the same animal. Perhaps the Klingons breed new variations like we do for cats and dogs…

This is what memory alpha says about it.

Kruge's pet was not a targ, as some believe. It does not share any major biological features with that animal. Some conjecture suggests it might be a Romulan animal

Are the authors of Memory Alpha the same people who wrote the different stories featuring these animals?

I don't think so, they are people interpreting it the same way I did only to a different conclusion. Unless a story is filmed which explains exactly why the differences then all we have is our own theories to go by.

Memory Alphas theory is sound, it could explain that one crew-mans apparent revulsion to Kruges pet.

1. The targ can and has had design differences, like that of the Klingons, even though its 'explained' in ENt

2) The klingons are wiggy, why make a pet from food? Doesn't that mean they have an emotional bond with their animals, or are they completely emotional morons who feel nothing for their animals.

The difference in the targs is the same as the difference between Dax and Odan. 2 trills that looked nothing alike. Its just artistic license.

I looked up Targs in the Star Trek Encyclopedia and even they aren't sure about Kruge's pet. Here's what it says:

We wonder if either Commander Kruge's pet (in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock) or the jackal-like pet of the Klingon warden at the Rura Penthe prison (Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country) were also targs.

better graphics by the time TNG was on

317203[/snapback]

There was only a couple year's difference. Also, the ST III creature looked much better than the TNG 'boar.'

I think it was just a different type of animal. I mean, humans have dogs, cats, birds, all sorts of things. Why can't other species?

I felt bad for Kruge. The look in his eyes showed that he really loved that animal.

I preferred the 're-dressed pig' targ from TNg in the frist series. That was just funny. Reminded me of the Golden Girls a bit.... :laugh:

Geez, it's a targ...get over it...what does it matter?  :huh:

BTW, there are different breeds of targs.

331313[/snapback]

The pet was never identified by species so it is just assumed to be a targ by most people.

331313[/snapback]

It's a targ. That's what Klingon pets are. Targs. :lol:

331313[/snapback]

It's a targ. That's what Klingon pets are. Targs. :lol:

331455[/snapback]

In my post above I quoted the ST Encyclopedia regarding this. I'm sure Klingons can choose from more than just Targs to have as pets.

there is a huge variety in dogs  why cant there be for targs

331520[/snapback]

There probably are but that doesn't mean that creature was a targ. Using your anology, not all pets are dogs. We have a huge variety of pets available so why should that be any different for the Klingons.

there is a huge variety in dogs  why cant there be for targs

331520[/snapback]

Yeah, but all dogs have similar characterists. They are all obviously canine, as are wolves, dingo, coyotes, etc. But Kruge's pet and the jail warden's pet look nothing like a pig of any kind. They both looked more canine than a targ.

Klingons like their pets to be brutal and savage. That's why they keep targs.

331612[/snapback]

I think it's quite possible that Klingons have found brutal and savage creatues on other planets they've colonized that they've decided to domesticate. You never know, there might be a Klingon flying around with one of those creature that T'Pol and Archer saw when they were in the Forge on Vulcan. Asfter all, those animals can be seen as brutal and savage.

Klingons like their pets to be brutal and savage. That's why they keep targs.

331612[/snapback]

I think it's quite possible that Klingons have found brutal and savage creatues on other planets they've colonized that they've decided to domesticate. You never know, there might be a Klingon flying around with one of those creature that T'Pol and Archer saw when they were in the Forge on Vulcan. Asfter all, those animals can be seen as brutal and savage.

331752[/snapback]

A Klingon with a sehlat for a pet? Now that's scary.