Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Joan & Melissa Rivers

Can anyone explain why these people have the jobs they have? I turned on the tvguide channel one day to check the schedule and was subjected to their mindless, mean spirited fashion reviews of the Oscars. I could only think - what a pointless existence.

What a country when you can make money being rude to famous people and making a fool out of yourself in front of the nation.

Does anyone actually like listening to these two?

I find it ironic that some old bint and her talentless ugly daughter who both have faces tighter than a drum have the nerve to actually criticize what other people look and dress like.

:yahoo:

Does anyone actually like listening to these two?

308870[/snapback]

Nope. Not me.

Only time I kinda could deal with Joan Rivers was when she was the voice of Dot Matrix in Spaceballs. But even then, she got irritating.

I find it ironic that some old bint and her talentless ugly daughter who both have faces tighter than a drum have the nerve to actually criticize what other people look and dress like.

:yahoo:

308872[/snapback]

Joan Rivers' humor has always been a self-deprecating humor based on the fact that she was an unattractive woman. All her humor pokes fun at her own appearance. I am sure the people who employed her to talk about the Oscars presumed that the style and focus of humor was well-known, and she was selected to comment on beautiful, well - dressed people for precisely that reason.

Having made that observation, I have never enjoyed Joan River's humor, and so have not enjoyed the commentary.

Joan Rivers' humor has always been a self-deprecating humor based on the fact that she was an unattractive woman. All her humor pokes fun at her own appearance. I am sure the people who employed her to talk about the Oscars presumed that the style and focus of humor was well-known, and she was selected to comment on beautiful, well - dressed people for precisely that reason.

That's entirely possible, but what accounts for her idiot daughter tagging along?

Are two unattractive, badly dressed morons needed to hit people over the head with the irony?

That's entirely possible, but what accounts for her idiot daughter tagging along?

Are two unattractive, badly dressed morons needed to hit people over the head with the irony?

308892[/snapback]

Apparently this was along the line of thinking of those who hired them, although they would perhaps not be so unkind in their description of the women. Neither of these women is stupid...it is a part of their 'act.'

I was just over in the Family Guy lines thread, and then I saw this one, and was immediately reminded of the episode where Brian goes to Hollywood and starts producing dirty movies. He's going to the awards ceremony, and Joan Rivers is there, asking him a question. Brian starts to answer, then sees that the microphone isn't plugged in. So he says, "You're not even on TV, are you?" Joan looks down and says "Only in my head." :yahoo:

Personally, I have no clue why anyone even knows their names anymore. They're more of an annoyance to television (and a reduction of our intelligence) than anything else.

Personally, I have no clue why anyone even knows their names anymore. They're more of an annoyance to television (and a reduction of our intelligence) than anything else.

308902[/snapback]

Actually she was never all that popular. A 'funny' incident that occurred in the latter half of the 1970's was that she had a show or program on the campus of a midwestern university (known for it's unofficial motto --'the life of the mind') and virtually no one came. During the same week, Carl Sagan, the well-known astronomer, came to give a talk, and it was packed...standing room only. The campus paper reported the response to the two campus visitors.

Oh..but people know their names because my generation, and those a little older, are not dead yet. We have 25 to 35 more years, on the average. Just because the younger generation does not know someone does not mean they are completely forgotten. And the Oscars cater to a slightly older group.

I think TUH's orignal point is better answered by the fact that Joan Rivers was never that popular a comemdienne.

Well let's see, she had her own night time show, her own day time show, and she WAS on Carson alot.

Rivers did have a successful career for a time, but I don't find her red carpet comments funny.

It's another example of people not being accepting of others and needing to make fun of them in order to feel good about themselves.

Also, I think her daughter being brought aboard with her was most likely her own idea. I think Joan thinks this is a way for Melissa to somehow get exposure and gain some sort of possible career in the future.

I can't stand Melissa and Joan Rivers, they are such snobs with too much plastic surgery. Joan Rivers was the worst part about the movie Spaceballs. Never liked her or her daughter.

I never liked Joan Rivers before she started doing her Oscar-wear commentary. She is dead-on in picking out the ones who got it right with what they chose to wear and the ones who really should have consulted with a friend before they left the house!

I don't mind her criticising those Hollywood types ... they all need to be taken down a peg or two, anyway. They put themselves out there in these ridiculous clothes ... they deserve whatever they get.

C'mon, guys ... the Academy Awards are just bloodsport. I like Joan, I like Melissa and I like that flamboyant chubby man that sits in on their "Golden Hanger" awards show.

Yes, Joan has gone a bit far with the plastic surgery and it looks like Melissa has had her lips done, but if they can make a buck and save a buck doing this schtick, I say good luck to them. I wish I could come up with some way to make money that required no more of me than giving out fashion citations!

Let them say what they like, they're not respected so nobody will listen to them anyway.

Sorry, MJ, my comments weren't inspired by what Joan "was" regarding her comedy - I remember her too. I'm disturbed by what she is now and the spots I've seen on the tvguide channel are just plain rude.

And gul - sorry but I have to disagree. Who decides what is fashionable or not? - somebody with a financial stake in people's clothes buying decisions. I should cowtow to these snobs in a boardroom when I buy clothes? I think not. As long as vital spots are covered and you don't smell - what difference does it make what people wear? And to define your existence by criticizing other people for what they wear - I guess Rivers ladies feel bad about that all the way to the bank.

Personally I think fashion (or peoples fashion sense) is more about a persons personality Joan rivers obviously has none as her clothes sense and wish to homogenize everyones fashion shows.

Well let's see, she had her own night time show, her own day time show, and she WAS on Carson alot.

Rivers did have a successful career for a time, but I don't find her red carpet comments funny.

308956[/snapback]

I agree that she was successful enough to be known, but not widely liked. I thought I remember ratings going down when she hosted Carson, as compared to some of his other substitutes. Were her shows all that long running? I remember them, but I never watched them.

Sorry, MJ, my comments weren't inspired by what Joan "was" regarding her comedy - I remember her too. I'm disturbed by what she is now and the spots I've seen on the tvguide channel are just plain rude.

Okay, I missed your point. But to me she seems consistent with what she always was.

Well...some people seem to like her.