Sign in to follow this  
Klingonmike

Over 3 million dollars raised for Enterprise

Trekunited .com has raised to date $3,073,180.00 to help save Enterprise, they have also sponsored rallies world wide from L.A. to Tel Aviv, Isrial. There will be a rally in Norfolk, Va. on march 13th. for more info on that go to http://www.webspawner.com/users/kydsnipe/index.html

You know its all about the money, if TPTB are given enough money from the fans they will do another season at least.

Lets hope the power of the people will work for Enterprise!

Edited by Klingonmike

Great News to hear that over 3 million US dollars was raised so far for Enterprise might/might not get a 5 year but with that amount who knows.

:) :) :P :P

I really do hope they get enough. But their goal is for over 30 million. I really hope the money starts pouring in in this short amount of time

307010[/snapback]

They appear to have a long way to go.

A couple of points:

1- The donors of this amount of money are unnamed. If this fund raising campaign is supposed to be transparent, all donors should be named and confirmed. The list of donors should be visible for anyone to see.

2- Paramount would never accept sums of money to fund production of one of their properties. The potential for legal problems is immense. The last thing you would all want is for Star Trek to be caught up in a mire of legal problems related to funding from unknown nameless sources.

3- If it's confirmed this sum of money has been pledged, then it's still far short of the $35 million dollars they are aiming for.

4- Paramount/Viacom have made no promises or statements saying that the television show "Star Trek: Enterprise", nor any other Star Trek project will be placed into production assuming the target level of funding is achieved. Paramount neither want or need funding for their properties from such sources. In a few seconds, Paramount could gain their own funding for their production needs from confirmed and safe sources.

I'm not aware of any laws requiring donors to made public - exactly what is the conflict of interest? If I go in a store and buy an object I don't have to have my name printed. These people want to "buy" the production of a tv series. What's the difference between major businesses paying for it as opposed to individuals? And advertising is where the money for tv produciton comes from.

This would be great for the network, that means all the advertising time they would sell would be "cream"

Now, if I were considering becoming a donor - which I'm not - I would have some concerns.

I'm not aware of any laws requiring donors to made public - exactly what is the conflict of interest?

Because Trek United themselves claimed that the process would be transparent, which it doesn't seem to be. For the good of the people who are actually donating money to this cause, I think the sources of these donations should be revealed. The mysterious secretive nature of this campaign is one of the main reasons StarTrek.COM advised against people giving their money to this group, in addition to the fact that it has NO connection to Paramount, Viacom or indeed Star Trek.

What's the difference between major businesses paying for it as opposed to individuals? And advertising is where the money for tv produciton comes from.

Yes, but Paramount are actually legally in business with those contributors. They offer funding for Star Trek because Viacom OWN Paramount and they fund their productions with their own money which comes from their own operations and the money provided by their sponsors. Since Viacom fund the show, they make the decisions as to it's budget and creative direction through the people they hire. If they accepted money from Trek United who's sources of funds are widely varied and unknown it makes it impossible to proceed, since the donors could in theory say "We are paying for it, and we want a say in Star Trek's creative direction".

Paramount are not going to say "OK, all you mysterious people who have not identified yourselves can take control of our most lucrative and prized property", and personally, the idea of Tim Brazael and the people at Save Enterprise and Trek United having creative control or influence over Star Trek is a frightening though.

Trek United have no connection to Viacom and the money will not be used in any way by Paramount in relation to Star Trek or any other means. The people donating of course can do as they wish, but sending money to this group in the hopes it will be used to fund official Star Trek projects is simply not realistic.

Accepting money from Trek United or any other similar source would be a legal "Pandora's Box" for Viacom, but this time, there won't be any sign of "Hope" left for Star Trek's future.

I speak for many fans that we will deal with the legal stuf when we get there... as for now it's all about the money!!!

The King.... what I meant by "major businesses" ie the companies paying for advertising - and advertisers do at times make demands as to what they want for their money. Advertising is the only source of revenue. I still don't see a difference between a private company (the advertiser) and a fan club "buying" a program.

Now it may be common sense from the donor's perspective to know more about this - but that's a totally different thing than UPN's legal considerations. And if they took money from an organization - their contract would be with the organization - not it's individual sources.

None of this means I think this is a good idea

Click For Spoiler
I still don't see a difference between a private company (the advertiser) and a fan club "buying" a program.

Because the advertiser is simply buying commercial spaces in the breaks during the show. They are concerned with making the viewer aware of their product and don't necessarily have any say in creative direction of the show itself (within reason, since if the show takes a different creative direction, it may affect how many and what kind of viewers are watching the show). But overall, if Coca Cola for example are buying commercial time during a Trek show, they won't be expecting Viacom to hear their creative input for the show itself.

The "fan club" are trying to fund the actual show itself, and for me, I cannot see how they would not insist on creative influence too. That's why Paramount won't accept any money from them. Besides, the money they are trying to raise would only be enough for a single season, and I can't see Paramount producing a show for a relatively small number of people, even if it is funded independently because the property is too important to allow that to happen.

Advertisers can possibly influence the content of a show, but it depends on the kind of show we are talking about. In Star Trek's case, it's very unlikely that a sponsor would say to Paramount "Hey, we want a three episode arc about Tribbles".

Now it may be common sense from the donor's perspective to know more about this - but that's a totally different thing than UPN's legal considerations. And if they took money from an organization - their contract would be with the organization - not it's individual sources.

But Trek United is simply a website. Nothing more. It's not a trust, it's not a corporation or media ventures group. It's not an investment body. It has no legal standing other than a bunch of people on a message board. Plus, Paramount are well aware that the low viewing figures for ENT mean that a lot of Star Trek fans didn't like ENT. They won't allow another season of ENT to be given the greenlight simply to satisfy the members of Trek United and they are aware that Tim Brazael does not speak for all Trek fans. If anything, he's simply the creator of a website which represents a very small hardcore element of the Trek fan community.

If Trek United and Save Enterprise wanted to make an impact, a letter writing campaign would have been the best way, since e-mails and faxes don't really make much of an impact. Like I've said before, and I'll say it for the last time, the problem with that is simply a lack of numbers.

"Trek United" adopted that name because they believe all Trek fans should unite to support ENT because they believe that saving ENT means saving Star Trek as a whole. Weirdly, if Paramount wanted to REALLY "unite" Trek fans, they could have said "We will never again produce another Star Trek project.....EVER", then things might be different.

However, the thing that I have been pondering is that I don't think the donors will be receiving their refunds. Not that I care about that necessarily, but TU claim that the refunds will be given when it becomes obvious that a fifth season will not occur. For me, that's already occured when UPN/Paramount/Viacom cancelled the show. But for the refunds to be given, Tim Brazael would practically be conceding defeat and I don't see him giving up the campaign, not necessarily because of a love for the show, but rather I don't think he wants to give up his "fifteen minutes" so to speak. TU/SE isn't even about ENT anymore. It became a "personality cult" for him a long time ago, In My Royal Opinion.

Edited by The King

That's great news! Once I get my check card I'd gladly donate 10 dollars. Anything to have one of the greatest TV shows on today stay alive. Especially Trek!

It seem the fans that actually work in the space industry (alot from NASA) have donated the 3 million dollars and it seems more donations from other industries are coming soon.

It seem the fans that actually work in the space industry (alot from NASA) have donated the 3 million dollars and it seems more donations from other industries are coming soon.

307131[/snapback]

I've read there is some speculation that Richard Branson may have something to do with it. He is getting involved with commercial space travel now. Volvo is running a contest with the winner getting a trip to space on Virgin Galactic. The website address for the contest is www.boldlygo.com That alone is so obviously a Trek reference.

And King, if a donor wishes to remain anonymous that is their right and obviously SE wouldn't be able to say who it was. Anonymous donations are made every day to every cause for whatever reason. This is no different.

I've read there is some speculation that Richard Branson may have something to do with it. He is getting involved with commercial space travel now.

The guy can't even get his "tilting trains" to work properly and he wants to send people into space???

:hug::elephant: B)

And King, if a donor wishes to remain anonymous that is their right and obviously SE wouldn't be able to say who it was. Anonymous donations are made every day to every cause for whatever reason. This is no different.

So much for "transparency" :elephant:

Secret mysterious anonymous donors who don't wish to be revealed. I'm sure Paramount will be very eager to do business with them.

:yahoo::yahoo:

The website address for the contest is www.boldlygo.com That alone is so obviously a Trek reference.

It certainly is. Not surprising since Star Trek is a major part of pop-culture.

Edited by The King