Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Great Britain

An interesting question and one that I would like to hear the views of people who are not of the UK as well as those who live here:

Does the United Kingdom have closer connections/ties with Europe or the United States?

Personally, as an Englishman, I would have to say that I feel a closer bond with the US and the people of the US than most of those European (mainland) lot.

No eurodollar for me Mr Blair, thanks very much!

England to me is closer to the US than the rest of the UK letalone europe

United Kingdom ???

and we've never liked europe there ether trying to invade us or the other way around and anywhere that has the french has got to be bad theres nothing wrong with france but it could do without the french :)

being an american myself, i feel that england and the u.s. are closer. my uncle went over there to visit before, and he said the brits were great, that they love americans, then he went to france, he said that was just the opposite, the hate americans. after all we came from you. we may have rebelled against england but we are the same people, and good allies. :)

Personally I think that language and simaler history binds America and the U.K. closer. But I'm an American, so I don't know how the people of the U.K. think about it :)

Well I am certainly pro-Americans and America, as I’m sure you can tell.

I have to say that I do like Italy and that I do have a few Italian friends. On the whole I have to say that my favourite countries are the ones that I feel most relaxed in and in general these are the US, Canada and Italy. Other than Italy I feel little connection with Europe.

Guest johny speed

well I am english and I say that england and america have always had prity close relatioships, we are closer than the rest of the UK. the Brits and the yanks have prity much always been side by side with each other.

I'm american and I think we are closer. We get along very well, and like each other. Like most people have already said, we are probably tied becuase of our language and the fact that we came from england

Britain is one of the best country's in the world, and everyone wants to be here, look at all those asylum seckers :)

Well i have to agree with you all, i certainly feel a closer bond with America, but Blair is determined to sell us down the river where Europe is concerned. There will be no referendum 'cos he knows the majority will vote no. We'll be ruled by Brussels before you can say" There's a fight!.....oh! WHERE HAVE THE FRENCH GONE". :lol: I just hope it doesn't damage relations with America 'cos unlike Blair thay can see Europe for what it is.........

England to me is closer to the US than the rest of the UK letalone europe

United Kingdom ???

and we've never liked europe there ether trying to invade us or the other way around and anywhere that has the french has got to be bad theres nothing wrong with france but it could do without the french  :bow:

Careful now, Montreal native and fluent french speaker here. :lol:

Well i have to agree with you all, i certainly feel  a closer bond with America, but Blair is determined to sell us down the river where Europe is concerned. There will be no referendum 'cos he knows the majority will vote no. We'll be ruled by Brussels before you can say" There's a fight!.....oh! WHERE HAVE THE FRENCH GONE".  :lol: I just hope it doesn't damage relations with America 'cos unlike Blair thay can see Europe for what it is.........

I agree, I think the PM would like to rid himself of the trouble a referendum might cause. If we (the people of the UK) do not get a say in the future of our country by having a referendum, then I might as well vote BNP, because if I wanted a fascist party to run the country I would have voted for one!

The problem that the Prime Minister has is that Europe have threatened to give the UK less of a say in European policy if we do not join the single currency, however the euro does not meet all of the 5 economic tests, hence joining now would completely cripple our economy. My personal view is that we should not be forced into joining something that would not be of benefit to the people of the UK and if the European Union really wants to decrease the power of the UK in Europe then I believe that the UK should decrease funding to Europe, and as the UK is one of the member countries who pays among the highest amounts....

I agree, I think the PM would like to rid himself of the trouble a referendum might cause. If we (the people of the UK) do not get a say in the future of our country by having a referendum, then I might as well vote BNP, because if I wanted a fascist party to run the country I would have voted for one!

The problem that the Prime Minister has is that Europe have threatened to give the UK less of a say in European policy if we do not join the single currency, however the euro does not meet all of the 5 economic tests, hence joining now would completely cripple our economy. My personal view is that we should not be forced into joining something that would not be of benefit to the people of the UK and if the European Union really wants to decrease the power of the UK in Europe then I believe that the UK should decrease funding to Europe, and as the UK is one of the member countries who pays among the highest amounts....

Totally agree TM. You're spot on with all the points you make,especially about decreasing funding in ratio to the threatened decrease of UK power. Ever thought of becoming a politician? I'm sure you'd make a better job of it than the self serving lot we've got. :lol:

I'm american and I think we are closer.  We get along very well, and like each other.  Like most people have already said, we are probably tied becuase of our language and the fact that we came from england

Same.. :lol:

I have found this thread to be very fascinating. As a Canadian most times I feel a much greater connection to Britain than I do the US.

As an American I don't know how the British feel about the US or Europe but it has been interesting to hear your views.

Great Britain is not only our friend but our ally.....

Here's to you

SO02102_(p).gif

I have found this thread to be very fascinating.  As a Canadian most times I feel a much greater connection to Britain than I do the US.

Well we do share the same Royal Family.

I like Canada just as much as the US, Vancover is my favourite place.

I have found this thread to be very fascinating.  As a Canadian most times I feel a much greater connection to Britain than I do the US.

And many other things such as our parlimentary systems and best of all Boxing Day. :lol: I love trying to explain to Americans what Boxing Day is.

Vancouver is gorgeous just a little too rainy at times. If you ever are in Vancouver and feel homesick head to nearby Victoria. They have many places there that still practice many British traditions such as High Tea. Of course every city here has at least one "authentic" British pub although none of them compare to the Rovers Return. :bow:

And many other things such as our parlimentary systems and best of all Boxing Day. :lol: I love trying to explain to Americans what Boxing Day is.

Vancouver is gorgeous just a little too rainy at times. If you ever are in Vancouver and feel homesick head to nearby Victoria. They have many places there that still practice many British traditions such as High Tea. Of course every city here has at least one "authentic" British pub although none of them compare to the Rovers Return. :bow:

Yes, we visited Victoria when we went whale watching, its really nice there as well. The only thing that I found a bit out of place in the British pubs was that the staff were too nice, if they wanted to make it authentically British they should have had some 15/16 year old girl taking the orders while looking like she would rather be somewhere else and responding to questions in a rude and sharp manner. :bow:

Careful now, Montreal native and fluent french speaker here. :rolleyes:

Lucky you ! I think the French language if the sexiest sounding language in the world. They tried to teach me French at School. But being silly and young thought " Why do I need to learn French ", so lost interest. Now I could kick myself. :lol:

Lucky you ! I think the French language if the sexiest sounding language in the world. They tried to teach me French at School. But being silly and young thought " Why do I need to learn French ", so lost interest. Now I could kick myself. :rolleyes:

Same here with spanish. But i learned several languages independantly, infact no one i know in real life knows that!!

Usted lo puede hacer tambien.

Vous pouvez le faire aussi.

Sie connan es auch machen.

Lei lo puo fare troppo.

U can het ook doen.

Pode fazee-lo tamben.

Lucky you ! I think the French language if the sexiest sounding language in the world. They tried to teach me French at School. But being silly and young thought " Why do I need to learn French ", so lost interest. Now I could kick myself. :rolleyes:

Same here with spanish. But i learned several languages independantly, infact no one i know in real life knows that!!

Usted lo puede hacer tambien.

Vous pouvez le faire aussi.

Sie connan es auch machen.

Lei lo puo fare troppo.

U can het ook doen.

Pode fazee-lo tamben.

I know some french, but I've kind of forgotten it this year becasue I switched (i was forced) to latin.

so the translation of that is....

I don’t live in the UK so I can’t speak for the people that live there, but I feel that our two counties are very close and probably UK is more close to us then the rest of Europe. This deep relationship between US & UK is really from the long history between us. I would say that this is more so then just the language.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Edited by master_q

Learned independently...does that mean you taught yourself? Did you use a specific system or listen to tapes?

Handy little tool for translations:

Free translation.com

I know for me personally, I feel very close to England, and I think our country, as a rule, does, too. (After 1815 or so, we're okay as far as our history goes. :lol: ) I also have a great affinity for Scotland, but that's not really part of the question. :rolleyes:

Yes, we visited Victoria when we went whale watching, its really nice there as well. The only thing that I found a bit out of place in the British pubs was that the staff were too nice, if they wanted to make it authentically British they should have had some 15/16 year old girl taking the orders while looking like she would rather be somewhere else and responding to questions in a rude and sharp manner.  :rolleyes:

LOL How true that is TM.

I am from Northern Ireland. It is part of Ireland but is still under British rule. There are two communities in Northern Ireland. A Protestant British community. And a Catholic Republican culture. I can apply for either a British or an Irish passport. The troubles here have pretty much ended and there is a steady peace process going on. However, animosity is still high between the two communites. I would consider myself Irish. My descendants are all Irish. The people who live here and are descended from the British invaders of the 17th century would consider themselves Britishhowever. I think Britain is a good enough nation. A little funny in it's ways.

Learned independently...does that mean you taught yourself? Did you use a specific system or listen to tapes?

Handy little tool for translations:

Free translation.com

I tought myself using net sources.

I don’t live in the UK so I can’t speak for the people that live there, but I feel that our two counties are very close and probably UK is more close to us then the rest of Europe. This deep relationship between US & UK is really from the long history between us. I would say that this is more so then just the language.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I also think the cultures are very similar as well.