Sign in to follow this  
deagletime

Voyager's Mysteries are finally solved!

Ive just purchased the new book "homecoming" by christie golden, which is set after the uss voyager arrives at earth imediately following Endgame.... i wont devulge any spoilers until more people have read it...but it does tie up a lot of loose ends...granted its not canon, but its as close as any we are gonna get to answering some great debates Voyagenarians have had for the last 8 years..golden does a great job in incorporating tv canon, the books Mosiac and Pathways (semi-voyager canon) ....buy it or go to a library and borrow it..but so far its been good reading

ok i got to give away at least one spoiler that made me jump for joy.. B)

Click for Spoiler:

Seven kicks Chakotays *buttocks* to the curb

Ive just purchased the new book "homecoming" by christie golden, which is set after the uss voyager arrives at earth  imediately following Endgame....  i wont devulge any spoilers until more people have read it...but it does tie up a lot of loose ends...granted its not canon, but its as close as any we are gonna get to answering some great debates Voyagenarians have had for the last 8 years..golden does a great job in incorporating tv canon, the books Mosiac and Pathways (semi-voyager canon) ....buy it or go to a library and borrow it..but so far its been good reading

ok i got to give away at least one spoiler that made me jump for joy..  B)

Click for Spoiler:

B) So? you would reccomend, yes?

lol... i guess i left that part out... yes i would recommend this book to all those that wondered just what happened after endgame...im only half way through it but it hasnt disappointed yet

im about half way through with the book...i'd be willing to discuss it if people dont want to take the time to read it...i recomend they do however

im about half way through with the book...i'd be willing to discuss it if people dont want to take the time to read it...i recomend they do however

I would not mind reading all of the spoilers you care to print up about, just use a spoiler box so no one (including myself) can latter say We didn't want to know that!

I just got the book yesterday and have been reading and reading. I'll come back to discuss it with you when I'm done. ^-^;;

I would not mind reading all of the spoilers you care to print up about, just use a spoiler box so no one (including myself) can latter say We didn't want to know that!

I agree with Alterego on that one..can't see myself actually buying the book..

ok so here is the jist of it so far

DO NO READ IF YOU ARE GONNA READ THE BOOK!!!!!

Click for Spoiler:

im serious dont read this if theres a chance that youll read the book

re the homecoming

Click for Spoiler:

the dominion war has had major casualties on the federation...and as such..the arrival of voyager is less stelar than we had all hoped..no antimatter fireworks..no parades.... most of the crew were debriefed in less than half an hour after almost a decade in a uncharted quadrant... dont get me wrong...its really cool when the crew get reunited with their families...almost brings a tear to your eye when the paris men squash their alpha male differences and hug....

Janeway and Chakotay

Click for Spoiler:

After protecting the crew for 7 years...our great captain and her no 1, have how can we put it...."empty nest syndrome"... also, we have seen the admirals put janeway back in her place after

having near god-like status aboard her ship..... now chakotay...got dumped by seven because she needed to find out who she really is (YAY!!) ....so you know what that means right kids?... voyager's "#1" bachelor (excuse the pun) is available to a woman whom he was once denied because she was his superior...

Paris and Torres

Click for Spoiler:

now the biggest surprise to me so far is that our former bad boy has been domesticated to a 24th century Mr. Mom... where is torres u ask, well following the plot of the episode "barge of the dead" where b'lana has dreams of her mother,Miral, in klingon hell, it seems that Miral was indeed on a spiritual mission where she may or may not have been killed...and now torres has traveled to the spiritual center of the kliingon empire to find what has happened to her mother

Tuvok and Harry

Click for Spoiler:

throught voyager..we have always seen tuvok as a stoic indiviual...unable to hear the processes going about in his head...but in literary format, however, we are able to and we get a great insight into what he is thinking and is at times hilarious... example, after surviving pon farr with only a simulated wife...lets just say Mr. Vulcan was a little overdue for some nookie... Harry on the other hand...has his handsfull with his exfiance Libby for getting a little too much nookie in the delta quadrant... needless to say... harry has been working on rekindling a relationship with his ex...

Plot...

Click for Spoiler:

regarding seven icheb and the wildmans...they are ingrained into the plot and ive got a few more chapters before i can summarize the entire book so more to come

ok so here is the big sack of potatoes...

plot 1

Click for Spoiler:

as i have explained earlier...voyagers homecoming was less than stellar....in fact there is an ongoing conspiract within the upper level of star fleet command where classified federation technology is being given to the orion syndicate..... several starfleet inteligence agents have been placed to watch the voyager crew and the people interacting with them because voyagers borg modifications are the hottest technology in the quadrant. one agent in particular is Libby, harrys fiance...

plot 2

Click for Spoiler:

insipired by the doctor's novel Photons be free, a human, oliver baines, has led a holo stike through out the federation essentially cripling the civillian sector... Baines, having met the doctor through false pretenses, has caused the doctor being arrested for treason for being guilty by association...

plot 3.

Click for Spoiler:

a strange outbreak of flu like symptoms...nausea, fatigue, pale skin, and hysteria has spread accross earth following the arrival of voyager and is leading to the quartine of all individuals related to the oubreak.......it is later revealed that this outbreak is the borgification of individuals through a virus...people are literally catching a cold that is turning them into borg... naturally seven and icheb are thrown into prison and have been treated very poorly by star fleet security.... as the epidemic gets worse...eventually all the crew is hauled in to a facility to be examined and probed for the virus but are later released...

finale

Click for Spoiler:

so by the end of the book...heres the deal..seven and icheb are in prison and are not doing well becaue they have been denied the ability to regenerate...(we have seen that seven can talk to the queen while regenerating) the doctor , also in prison, is to be made an example to quell the holostrike and is scheduled to be "lobotomized" and have his programming simplified so that he is no longer self aware...the borg infection is projected to overtake the globe within days...while senior staff is essentially put under house arrest until a punishment can be dealt....the book closes with Admiral Janeway conspiring with her senior staff on a plan "just might work"....oh yes janeway calls picard and asks him to loan him a very special officer of his for a covert operation...(it be nice to see u know who in action one last time)

so just like all the great finales in star trek....we are to wait until the homecoming II is released in july of 2003 to see what awaits our valiant but mistreated crew of the uss voyager

I have a question. Will the VOY relaunch be like a 9th season, an endless book series, just this 2-part book, or what? If there's only like 10 or so planned, I'll be getting them. If it's gonna be endless, I'll just stick with "Endgame" as the final adventure. B)

WOW I am definately have to go pick up that book on friday when I get my paycheck...sounds like a winner to me!!

I am not sure if this was mentiond..I caved and bought the book this aft..just wanted to let it be known that 'Homecoming' is a two parter. Thx.

Alright, I finished the book! Yay! I'm almost sorry I did because I was getting into it. And just when everything's building up... it ends. *sigh* So...

Click for Spoiler:

Who do you think the guy from Picard's crew is? I'm terrible at this sort of predicting thing. ^-^;; Have you liked the book? Do you think it portrays the characters well? I think it does. I can just see them going through the actions and I can hear them speaking. I really like the story so far.

We know Voyager isn't responsible for this Borg threat. How could it be? So who do you think is? Well, the Borg, obviously, but someone would've noticed a cube orbiting Earth and pollinating it with a virus.

What do you think of this Montgomery guy? Do you think he's really the antagonist? I don't think so. He certainly does act like it, and the text is playing him up to be the bad guy, but I don't think he is. Usually when somebody is portrayed as a bad guy, and it looks like the author really wants you to believe that somebody is evil, it turns out to be somebody else, entirely.

I have to say one more thing. Icheb's got some pretty mean friends. It was just terrible reading that part about them beating on him. I felt so bad for him. I really like Icheb. Do you think he'll ever be friends with them again, or will he forgive them. I hope he finds some new friends. They didn't even believe him when he said he didn't know anything about what was going on. Those aren't friends.

So, everyone, this was a great book! It leaves you hanging, but it's worth the read!

Alright, I finished the book!  Yay!  I'm almost sorry I did because I was getting into it.  And just when everything's building up... it ends.  *sigh*  So...

Click for Spoiler:

Who do you think the guy from Picard's crew is?  I'm terrible at this sort of predicting thing.  ^-^;;  Have you liked the book?  Do you think it portrays the characters well?  I think it does.  I can just see them going through the actions and I can hear them speaking.  I really like the story so far.

We know Voyager isn't responsible for this Borg threat.  How could it be?  So who do you think is?  Well, the Borg, obviously, but someone would've noticed a cube orbiting Earth and pollinating it with a virus.

What do you think of this Montgomery guy?  Do you think he's really the antagonist?  I don't think so.  He certainly does act like it, and the text is playing him up to be the bad guy, but I don't think he is.  Usually when somebody is portrayed as a bad guy, and it looks like the author really wants you to believe that somebody is evil, it turns out to be somebody else, entirely.

I have to say one more thing.  Icheb's got some pretty mean friends.  It was just terrible reading that part about them beating on him.  I felt so bad for him.  I really like Icheb.  Do you think he'll ever be friends with them again, or will he forgive them.  I hope he finds some new friends.  They didn't even believe him when he said he didn't know anything about what was going on.  Those aren't friends.

So, everyone, this was a great book!  It leaves you hanging, but it's worth the read!

well beedrill this is what i think...

Click for Spoiler:

i think we may see the return of the son of soong as he is unborgable..maybe he can mediate as an impartial scientist at starfleet command...

regarding the borg threat, i think i know what happens... it was total coincidence, but i was watching an episode of voyager while i was reading the book... dark frontier, in which the queen recaptures seven so that she can assist the borg with a mutagenic virus that will facilitate assimilation of humanity....seven replies something of the sort that it will take several years for the virus to take affect..that was around season 5 or 6 as i recall and that fits perfectly into the homecoming timeline as well as the charecteristics of the infection....3

regarding montgomery...i just think hes a hard as nails guy but i dont think hes bad...hes like a patton or a mccarthur...mean mofo in charge..but still has the best interests of the federation in mind.

regarding icheb...well i think its the fact that the "rumor" that the voyager crew is assisiting the borg with the assimilation of earth brought up all lot of bad blood between the families of the assimilated and icheb/seven.

but i agree with beedrill...its a good book and i seriously wouldnt be surprised if they made it into a movie..although its now impossible as it is placed after insurrection and before nemesis

Alright, I finished the book!  Yay!  I'm almost sorry I did because I was getting into it.  And just when everything's building up... it ends.  *sigh*  So...

Click for Spoiler:

Who do you think the guy from Picard's crew is?  I'm terrible at this sort of predicting thing.  ^-^;;  Have you liked the book?  Do you think it portrays the characters well?  I think it does.  I can just see them going through the actions and I can hear them speaking.  I really like the story so far.

We know Voyager isn't responsible for this Borg threat.  How could it be?  So who do you think is?  Well, the Borg, obviously, but someone would've noticed a cube orbiting Earth and pollinating it with a virus.

What do you think of this Montgomery guy?  Do you think he's really the antagonist?  I don't think so.  He certainly does act like it, and the text is playing him up to be the bad guy, but I don't think he is.  Usually when somebody is portrayed as a bad guy, and it looks like the author really wants you to believe that somebody is evil, it turns out to be somebody else, entirely.

I have to say one more thing.  Icheb's got some pretty mean friends.  It was just terrible reading that part about them beating on him.  I felt so bad for him.  I really like Icheb.  Do you think he'll ever be friends with them again, or will he forgive them.  I hope he finds some new friends.  They didn't even believe him when he said he didn't know anything about what was going on.  Those aren't friends.

So, everyone, this was a great book!  It leaves you hanging, but it's worth the read!

well beedrill this is what i think...

Click for Spoiler:

i think we may see the return of the son of soong as he is unborgable..maybe he can mediate as an impartial scientist at starfleet command...

regarding the borg threat, i think i know what happens... it was total coincidence, but i was watching an episode of voyager while i was reading the book... dark frontier, in which the queen recaptures seven so that she can assist the borg with a mutagenic virus that will facilitate assimilation of humanity....seven replies something of the sort that it will take several years for the virus to take affect..that was around season 5 or 6 as i recall and that fits perfectly into the homecoming timeline as well as the charecteristics of the infection....3

regarding montgomery...i just think hes a hard as nails guy but i dont think hes bad...hes like a patton or a mccarthur...mean mofo in charge..but still has the best interests of the federation in mind.

regarding icheb...well i think its the fact that the "rumor" that the voyager crew is assisiting the borg with the assimilation of earth brought up all lot of bad blood between the families of the assimilated and icheb/seven.

but i agree with beedrill...its a good book and i seriously wouldnt be surprised if they made it into a movie..although its now impossible as it is placed after insurrection and before nemesis

Ooh, them are some good spoilers! :rolleyes: Sounds VERY interesting.

Click for Spoiler:

WOOOHOOO!!!!! I already pre-purchased it like a month ago, ill go to the mall Monday and pick it up =)

Will "Homecoming" be an independant story, answerring unanswerred questions, or will it be an ongoing "relaunch series"?  If it's the beginning of the relaunch, how many books will there be?

Well, on the cover it says "Book One of Two," so I'm assuming there's only two books in the Homecoming series.

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

Hmm, I've never seen that episode. *sigh* I'll just have to wait for it to come on reruns. But you're right. It does seem to fall into the timeline. Spooooky.

Hmmm, do you think Janeway and Chakotay are going to get together now that he's not her subordinate? That would be great. I always thought they would make a good couple. ^-^;;

Now, who says they can't slip a movie in between there? They've already shown they can produce things out of order with Enterprise. I don't think anyone would be confused. The bad thing about making the book into a movie, though, is that if anything in the movie contradicts the book, you can't believe the book. *sigh*

Guest Ktrek

I just have to say that I am 2/3rds done with Homecoming and it is a pretty good story. It does tie up alot of loose ends. Christie Golden, the author, is currently one of the more prolific Star Trek authors at Pocketbooks. I'm looking forward to finishing it and moving on to part two which is called "The Farther Shore". This is the first in what will be an ongoing relaunch series by pocketbooks. So to answer Picard's question as to how many books there will be? Only time will tell! But I'm sure you can read these two books, get some closure, and not have to read anymore of the relaunch books. If you're looking for a story of epic proportions and lots of action like the DS9 "Left Hand Of Destiny" books don't look here. If you are looking for something fun and quick to read and that reads like an episode of the show then you will enjoy this book.

Ktrek

ktrek...i hope that u didnt read any spoilers that might diminish your experience...but i am curious as to what u think of the book when your finished as i am a avid fan of voyager

I heard that there is going to be a book 2, is it true?

*Edit*

Duh Rob! LOL! I gotta start reading posts before i post a reply, :waaaa:

Guest Ktrek

Deagletime,

Well, I finished the book last night. I can't say that it was one of the best ST books I have ever read but it's not the worst by a long shot. BTW I didn't spoil the book by reading any of the spoilers in this thread. I didn't want to ruin any enjoyment of the story as it unfolded. :waaaa:

Click for Spoiler:

Several things that Christie Golden writes about have modern parallels. For example the response by Star fleet in arresting Seven and Icheb followed by the rest of the crew is much like after 9/11 when the government arrested anyone who even seemed connected and all muslims became suspects. The refernce to the law that lest them hold them for up to a year also was similiar. The reaction to the Borg virus is much like the current SARS epidemic or the smallpox scenarios played out by the CDC.

The effort Christie did in trying to spend some time on each character for character developments sake was good. I think the promotion section was kind of lame but I'm happy to see Harry promoted beyond ensign. By in large I liked the story and am looking forward to part 2.

Ktrek

Okay I finished the book in 3 nights..and I can't find any info on the sequel ' Further ground' I think its called..The net's not helping me anby..does anyone know any info on when it'll be released? The damn cliff hanger at the end is killing me.

Guest Ktrek

The book is called "The Farther Shore". It is not due out until July but you may see it as early as the last week of June. Here is a description The Farther Shore You can read an excerpt here:Excerpt Hope this helps!

Ktrek

Well it's about time

Click for Spoiler:

"Paris went down the Row. Both Lieutenants Paris and Torres became Lieutenant Commanders. And Kim, Vorik and Campbell turned to face the face the applause of the croud as Lieutenants"

FINALLY!!! 7 Years for Harry to get promoted, It's about time.