Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

For Those Who Complain About T'Pol

Dr. Who has provided two links in a post in Ten Forward to pages at the website Ex Astris Scientia, one of which is on False Canon. I was surprised when I read this example from the false canon link:

"Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet."

This is a widespread statement in official publications as well as in fandom, but it was never stated in any TOS episode or movie. Actually, the idea may have originated as behind-the-scenes information, considering that Spock was supposed to be an exceptional person in any conceivable respect. Still, it is dubious in the light of the Intrepid (TOS: "The Immunity Syndrome"), a Starfleet ship with an all-Vulcan crew which we wouldn't expect less than two decades after Spock was the first Vulcan to join Starfleet Academy. Clearly Spock's presence on the Enterprise NCC-1701 is no obstacle for T'Pol to become the true first Vulcan Starfleet officer a hundred years earlier (albeit of Earth Starfleet).

I've not seen much TOS so I had accepted the argument by others that this was, in fact, canon. I won't anymore.

Thanks for the links Dr. Who.

I've not seen much TOS so I had accepted the argument by others that this was, in fact, canon. I won't anymore.

Thanks for the links Dr. Who.

298459[/snapback]

You're very welcome. B)

post-812-1095566621.gif

:) That is amazing to me..Why is it that we all assummed that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet? This must have been said in one of the episodes that I cannot recall at the moment..Perhaps it was implied..Still, until I see it in a TOS episode I'll accept T'Pol as a possible first Vulcan in Starfleet..Though I'm still skeptical..

From the Star Trek Encyclopedia:

Spock was the first Vulcan to enlist in the Federation Starfleet, and he distinguished himself greatly as science officer aboard the original USS Enterprise.

On Enterprise they are in Starfleet before the Federation was formed. Perhaps that's the difference.

:) That is amazing to me..Why is it that we all assummed that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet? This must have been said in one of the episodes that I cannot recall at the moment..Perhaps it was implied..Still, until I see it in a TOS episode I'll accept T'Pol as a possible first Vulcan in Starfleet..Though I'm still skeptical.. 

Spock was the first Vulcan to enlist in the Federation Starfleet, and he distinguished himself greatly as science officer aboard the original USS Enterprise.

On Enterprise they are in Starfleet before the Federation was formed. Perhaps that's the difference.

299152[/snapback]

If you check out the other link that Dr. Who supplied in Ten Forward it talks about the difference between cannon vs official:

Canon vs. official In a simple approach it may seem that anything about the fictional Star Trek Universe that is officially released by Paramount should be automatically canonical. But with the word "official" being rather used as an administrative term and "canon" as a purely fictional quality the two are different. While Paramount Pictures may *officially* endorse books or games of their licensees, this does not imply that these products are *canon* too. On the contrary, as will be explained further down, Paramount keeps licensed products strictly non-canon.

Reference books Books are non-canon because of their printed nature, even those officially released by Paramount via Pocket Books and with people working on the show as authors (reviews)... The Star Trek Encyclopedia, on the other hand, extracts data from the canon episodes. Where it is correct, it is a reproduction of canon facts, but not canon by itself. Even a few occurrences of False Canon can be found in the Encyclopedia.

:lol: That is amazing to me..Why is it that we all assummed that Spock was the first Vulcan in Starfleet? This must have been said in one of the episodes that I cannot recall at the moment..Perhaps it was implied..Still, until I see it in a TOS episode I'll accept T'Pol as a possible first Vulcan in Starfleet..Though I'm still skeptical.. 

299152[/snapback]

It could also be that in the statement above it says Spock was the first Vulcan to "ENLIST" in the Federation Starfleet. T'Pol did not enlist, she was given a postion in Starfleet.

It's irrelevant how T'Pol got her commission (the academy or a field commission). If she is a Star Fleet officer she should wear a Star Fleet uniform. (I know that was not Takara's point but it is my complaint)

As far as Spock being the first Vulcan in Star Fleet - I agree the existence of The Intrepid makes that seem improbable.

I myself have always disagreed with the thought that T'Pol could not be a part of Starfleet simply due to the facts listed above, but primarily because the Federation has not yet been formed and therefore the Federation Starfleet does not exist yet.

I myself have always disagreed with the thought that T'Pol could not be a part of Starfleet simply due to the facts listed above, but primarily because the Federation has not yet been formed and therefore the Federation Starfleet does not exist yet.

299741[/snapback]

Good point, dill. I think that is one thing that people tend to forget. Enterprise's Starfleet isn't the same one as TOS.

It's irrelevant how T'Pol got her commission (the academy or a field commission).  If she is a Star Fleet officer she should wear a Star Fleet uniform.  (I know that was not Takara's point but it is my complaint)

As far as Spock being the first Vulcan in Star Fleet - I agree the existence of The Intrepid makes that seem improbable.

299304[/snapback]

In the early seasons of TNG, Counselor Troi also did not wear a uniform. Eventually she began wearing a uniform. I imagine if Enterprise had continued on to seven seasons, we may see T'Pol in uniform. Just my two cents.