Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Just picking nits here

Did it ever annoy anyone else how Riker (and other members of the crew) would sometimes pronounce Captain Jean-Luc Picard?

Usually you got the standard American accent that Will used for everything else he said, but every once in a while you got this horrendous "French" accent out of Will with all the emPHASis on the wrong sylLAble.

I'm talking in particularly about that scene in I think it was Time's Arrow when Will was sitting at the bar in Ten Forward arguing with Guinan about what to do to save Picard who was stuck in the turn-of-the-century San Francisco.

I don't think Will was the only one who lapsed into this weird pseudo "Frenchspeak" but he comes to mind. I prefer the regular pronunciation myself, (John Luke P'card rather than Zhan Louc P'caaaard -- it sounds dreadfully affected and fake no matter who is saying it that way --- Q included.)

O.K. I know this is a stupid and childish problem, but I'll bet I'm not the only one who feels this way. :laugh:

I actually agree with ya gul! I didn't think anyone else noticed but I can't stand it when Q says Picard. I think Q is awesome but the way he says the name Picard is horrific. It makes me shiver almost everytime he says Jean-Luc's last name. It doesn't bother me when others say his name, but I really do notice when Q is talking.

Edited by Gamera

I actually agree with ya gul! I didn't think anyone else noticed but I can't stand it when Q says Picard. I think Q is awesome but the way he says the name Picard is horrific. It makes me shiver almost everytime he says Jean-Luc's last name. It doesn't bother me when others say his name, but I really do notice when Q is talking.

294617[/snapback]

As far as I can figure, the way he says it is supposed to be like that. I never noticed even him saying it differently, on the grounds that I always thought he was saying it that way to irritate Picard and (most likely) others around him.

Not that I am going to post my last name here, but for a personal example... My former boss(who was also my coach prior to me working), would mispronounce my last name all the time. Not because he did not know how to pronounce it, but because he knew it grated on my nerves(more so when I was a kid, but still was irritating to a point when I was a teen then adult). I bring this up because I like I posted, I always thought that this was pretty much exactly what Q was doing to Picard

Edited by Yillara_Soong

^Yes, Q was trying to be annoying. I think Riker was just trying to be cosmopolitan ... and failing dismally.

I'll bet the French hate it when foreigners try to speak with a French accent! No one is really very good at and it must really irritate them!

Not that I am going to post my last name here, but for a personal example... My former boss(who was also my coach prior to me working), would mispronounce my last name all the time. Not because he did not know how to pronounce it, but because he knew it grated on my nerves(more so when I was a kid, but still was irritating to a point when I was a teen then adult). I bring this up because I like I posted, I always thought that this was pretty much exactly what Q was doing to Picard

294621[/snapback]

I know the feeling very much. My last name if French and people have problems in pronouning it right when they first see it. Its very annoying.

I do think Q was annoying Picard, but Riker was just trying to be showing with that stupid Pee-caard... Sometimes the man with the furry face just needs to be quiet...