Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Before and After photo's of Sri Lanka

These photo's are less then a year apart. The first one is from January 2004 and the second one is December 2004.

January 2004

Click For Spoiler

December 26 2004

Click For Spoiler

For anyone that can't open spoilers here's the links to the pictures.

Link 1:

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/tsunami...an1_2004_dg.jpg

Link 2:

http://www.digitalglobe.com/images/tsunami...c26_2004_dg.jpg

here's a video my news department made:

Before & After

It is a 3.6mb ZIP file that expands to a 18mb AVI file, if you use Windows XP you should be OK if you dont have WinZip. It also needs Windows Media Player.

Edited by trekzone

Horrible, isn't it? I recall seeing photos of Banda Aceh on the Google News link, and it's shocking to see the vast amount of damage. Large chunks of the city are completely gone! And the latest estimates of 125K dead is too great for me to comprehend. I need to be less complaining and more thankful. I take too much for granted. :laugh:

BTW, thanks VBG for the pics! :)

Gee, that's pretty impressive! Sad, though. I have a friend who is currently holidaying in India, and haven't heard from her. I'm hoping she's ok :laugh:

:laugh: That is shocking and heart breaking,i cant watch it on the news anymore its just too much,dont get me wrong i really feel for those ppl who where effected by it and after hearing it only costs about 50 bucks to build a new house there me and debbie both gave 50 bucks each, it was the least we could do.

:laugh: That is shocking and heart breaking,i cant watch it on the news anymore its just too much,dont get me wrong i really feel for those ppl who where effected by it and after hearing it only costs about 50 bucks to build a new house there me and debbie both gave 50 bucks each, it was the least we could do.

294114[/snapback]

I did the same thing. Unbelievable that this has happen. :)

It keeps getting worse. I saw part of an interview with a UN official and later a World Vision official (I think that was the organization). They both talked about the flooding that has started in areas that were set up for displaced people. The number of people expected to die from preventable diseases is so high. It just doesn't end and we must never stop trying to help.

It is pretty amazing and sad.

I have both a current coworker, and a couple of coworkers from my old job that have family over there. My coworker has not said anything, so I am hoping his relatives are all ok... but as for my former coworkers, I have not seen them in a while so I have no idea about their families. :laugh:

capt.ny12112302334.tsunami_indonesia_ny121.jpg

In these photos released Thursday, Dec. 30, 2004 by DigitalGlobe, the shoreline of Banda Aceh in Indonesia, is shown on June 23, 2004, above, and Dec. 28, 2004 below, after the tsunami attack. (AP Photo/DigitalGlobe)

I think these photos are just disturbing, it really shows the devastation

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and the disappearance of the beach, and the palm tree tops poking out of the water in that first set of pictures speaks volumes. Th same with the other pictures. Very sad.

What is truely sad is that some of these places may never recover from the damage. :laugh:

Check out the height of the wave coming in on the upper-right hand side of this picture:

Tsunami-Phuket.jpg

295067[/snapback]

Am I the only one to think that one is a fake? The wave is impossibly high, at its highest point went the wave made contact it was about 15 meters high. That wave in the pic looks like double the size...