Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Jerry Orbach 20 Oct 1935 - 28 Dec 2004

JERRY ORBACH - Rest In Peace

Actor Jerry Orbach, best known for his long-running role as New York police detective Lennie Briscoe on "Law & Order," has died. He was 69.

Orbach died of prostate cancer Tuesday night, a spokesman for the program confirmed Wednesday.

The actor had been undergoing treatment for his illness for several weeks, Audrey Davis of the public relations agency Lippin Group told The Associated Press.

He had recently been in production for a "Law & Order" spinoff featuring Briscoe, "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," scheduled to premiere in early 2005.

"I'm immensely saddened by the passing of not only a friend and colleague, but a legendary figure of 20th-century show business," said (Please stop me from cursing) Wolf, creator and executive producer of the "Law & Order" series, in a statement. "He was one of the most honored performers of his generation. His loss is irreplaceable."

Orbach joined "Law & Order" in the show's third season and quickly made Briscoe a popular character, known for his deadpan wisecracks and rough vulnerability.

Audiences also learned of the character's divorces, his difficult relationship with his daughters (one was later killed for testifying against a drug-dealing boyfriend) and his battle with alcoholism -- though, in true "Law & Order" fashion, these tidbits were revealed casually over the course of many years.

Orbach was also one of many "L&O" actors who had appeared as a different character at another time in the show's run -- in Orbach's case, as a defense attorney during the show's second season.

"Law & Order" and its spinoffs are all filmed in New York, and Orbach was so identified with the city that he was declared a "living landmark" by the New York Landmark Conservancy in 2002.

Orbach had been a notable New York actor for more than three decades when he joined "Law & Order." He was a star of the city's theatrical world, having originated the roles of El Gallo in the off-Broadway "Fantasticks," Billy Flynn in the original mid-'70s Broadway run of "Chicago" and Julian Marsh in the revival of "42nd Street."

He won a Tony for his performance in 1968's "Promises, Promises," a Neil Simon/Burt Bacharach/Hal David musical version of the 1960 movie "The Apartment."

As a movie actor, Orbach shined in supporting roles, including performances in 1981's "Prince of the City," 1986's "F/X," Woody Allen's 1989 film "Crimes and Misdemeanors" and 1992's "Mr. Saturday Night." He was the voice of Lumiere in "Beauty and the Beast" (1991) and the father of Jennifer Grey's character Baby in "Dirty Dancing" (1987).

Jerome Bernard Orbach was born in Bronx, New York, on October 20, 1935, the son of a vaudeville actor and a radio singer. The family moved around during his childhood, finally settling near Chicago.

He attended the University of Illinois and Northwestern University and then returned to New York to begin his acting career.

He earned his broadest fame relatively late in life, but couldn't have asked for more, he said.

"I used to say when I was working in the theater that if I ever had five seasons of a hit TV show I'd never have to worry about money and wouldn't have to do anything I didn't want to do," he once said, according to the Internet Movie Database. "The 12 seasons of 'Law & Order' really made that possible."

New Yorkers, particularly cops, loved him.

"The police? Oh, my God. It's a straight-up love affair with the man," co-star Jesse L. Martin told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Orbach told the AP he didn't know "where I stop and Lennie starts, really. ... I know he's tougher than me and he carries a gun. And I'm not an alcoholic."

"I know I wouldn't want to be him," Orbach summed up. "I guess that's where I stop and he starts."

Orbach was married twice. He is survived by his wife, Elaine, and his children, Tony and Chris.

from CNN

Some once told me the great people die in threes. I just hope they are wrong. Thoughts and prays go to his family.

I am really sadden by his loss. I really looked up him as a fellow New Yorker. I loved him in Law and Order.

Edited by Odie

Some once told me the great people die in threes. I just hope they are wrong. Thoughts and prays go to his family.

293380[/snapback]

That's usually the case.

My condolences to his family and friends.

I'd never really watched Law & Order much but when I got to Florida I used to watch it on TNT and he's a really great actor.

RIP Jerry Orbach and condolenses to his family

I was sad to hear this too.  He really added a lot to Law & Order and while he'd already left the series - I was looking forward to seeing him in a spinoff.

293427[/snapback]

TUH, apparently he shot a couple of episodes of the spin off...so he should be in there...they might even do what they did in 8 Simple Rules and have him killed and a funeral is held, where the Law & Order cast are brought over to the spin off..

His death is definitely a tragedy. I am a huge fan of Law & Order and all of the spinoffs and Briscoe was always one of my favorite characters so he will definitely be missed.

Jerry Orbach R.I.P

I remember him more from the Dirty Dancing film and suppose the voice from the talking candle in Beauty And The Beast

sorry was not into Law And Order program

but my condolences to his family and friends

He had a long and distinguished career. I remember when he was first on Law & Order. It was a little shock as I had seen him doing a guest spot on Murder She Wrote where he played that private detective friend of Jessica Fletcher's. Those characters were world's apart. LOL

For a complete look at Mr. Orbach's career, here is a link to his IMDB profile

It was a little shock as I had seen him doing a guest spot on Murder She Wrote where he played that private detective friend of Jessica Fletcher's. Those characters were world's apart. LOL

Harry McGraw, my mother tells me he had a series based on that character - she doesn't like violence so she's never watched law and order but she was talking about Harry McGraw the other night.

I am so sorry for his family's loss. Cancer can do that......sometimes it shows up, even if you have taken good care of yourself, and it moves too quickly to be stopped.

I have enjoyed all the Law and Order programs, although I do not watch them as regularly as I watch Star Trek. He will be missed.