Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

New Militaristic Direction

In previous series and movies, Starfleet has allways been a multi-task space program. To call it a "military" would be a bit off. It can function as a military, they have medical and science ships, they have space stations, colonies... but, I think Starfleet is foremost, a space program.

So, do you think ENT will become more millitarristic? My sister said that the episode "Regeneration" should have been enough to establish that. My opinion is that the whole "Xindi" story arc will give Starfleet a reason to rush out the NX-02 and maybe the NX-03. Once we have a good 5 ships out, all heavilly armed and stuff, thanks to the Xindi, Starfleet will be capable of surviving the war with the Romulans that we should see by the end of the series.

I'm just hoping they don't spend a whole season on the "going militaristic" story arc. It just seems like something that could be established in 5 or so episodes, something to start Season 3 with.

Well, what are your thoughts?

Ent will probably be a lot more militaristic next season, just hope they don't spend the entire season on the Xindi, I like when things blow up, but I don't want every episode just being about war, I still want to see a lot of character development that has been so promising the first two seasons. Just hope they can find a good balance...

Ent will probably be a lot more militaristic next season, just hope they don't spend the entire season on the Xindi, I like when things blow up, but I don't want every episode just being about war, I still want to see a lot of character development that has been so promising the first two seasons. Just hope they can find a good balance...

I am confident that they will be able to continue with the proper balance that we have seen thus far.

I am confident that they will be able to continue with the proper balance that we have seen thus far.

They will probably spend a lot of the season on the Xindi, I am afraid. There do have quite a bit of space to cover on their way to Xindi space thought. Probably different things will on they there.

I'm just hoping they don't spend a whole season on the "going militaristic" story arc.  It just seems like something that could be established in 5 or so episodes, something to start Season 3 with.

Well, what are your thoughts?

About this part, you got me thinking how "going militaristic" could be a great story telling device on ENT, think about it, what are the reactions to "War Weary Earthlings" to this new threat and how are they dealing with the "leaders plans" to deal with it, do the civilians even know what the "plans" are, is the "new Mission" a secret on Earth? Do you think ENT "should spend/waste any time exploring this, or should these ideas be saved for dealing with in "Novels"?

I just don't want the rest of the series focusing on war, that's all.  Even if they spend a whole season on the Xindi stuff, as long as they get back to explorration before the Romulan War, I'll be happy. :)

I agree Capt. Picard.

The Dominion War arc on DS9 wore on and on. I personally got so tired of it that I didn't watch about half of the episodes.

I just don't want the rest of the series focusing on war, that's all.  Even if they spend a whole season on the Xindi stuff, as long as they get back to explorration before the Romulan War, I'll be happy. :)

I agree Capt. Picard.

The Dominion War arc on DS9 wore on and on. I personally got so tired of it that I didn't watch about half of the episodes.

Well, I enjoyed the Domionion War arc, it gave us something fresh. I just don't want a repeat of that. I'm expecting the Xindi conflict to be more of an unravelling mystery with the actual conflict at the end of the story arc. I'm also expecting the Earth/Romulan war to be more of a hand full of ships fighting strategically, instead of hundreds of ships fighting in massive fleet battles like on DS9.

While researching the answer to another post I did a good bit of reading the Articles of Federation.

According to the Articles:

Article 45

In order to enable the United Federation to take urgent military measures, all members so capable, shall assign contingents of their armed forces to Star Fleet to be employed as a single peace-keeping force of the United Federation of Planets. All contingents so assigned, and for the duration of their assignment, shall hold full faith and loyalty to the United Federation of Planets and the protection of the purposes and principles of these articles of Federation;

Article 47

1. There shall be established within Star Fleet a Military Staff Committee to advise, and assist the Federation Council on all matters relating to the United Federation's military requirements for maintaining interplanetary peace and security;

3. The Military Staff Committee, with the authorization of the Federation council, shall establish a Star Fleet as the armed, peace-keeping, forces of the United Federation of Planets. It shall be responsible for the establishment and maintenance of all facilities of Star Fleet, including armed ships, starbases, and training facilities;

Chapter VIII: Star Fleet

Article 52

1. There is established a Star Fleet as the armed peace-keeping forces of the United Federation of Planets. It shall initially be comprised of contingents assigned to it by members of the United Federation under Article 43 until such time as facilities, recruitment, and training obviates the necessity of drawing upon the armament of any member, except as provided in Article 49;

2. The operations and actions of Star Fleet shall at all times be under the direct cognizance of the Federation Council and the Military Staff Committee which shall also prepare and approve the budget for Star Fleet operations;

Although Starfleet may not technically be a military force, it will serve that function under the Articles of Federation. It seems that the 22nd century Starfleet is moving in that direction.

In order to enable the United Federation to take urgent military measures, all members so capable, shall assign contingents of their armed forces to Star Fleet to be employed as a single peace-keeping force of the United Federation of Planets.

Very interesting! :lol: Thanks for sharing this information.

You're quite welcome!

For those that may be interested and don't have a print copy of the Articles of Federation, they can be found at:

http://www.clearlight.com/~sfc/documents/aof.html

which is on the United Federation of Planets home page:

http://www.geocities.com/p.black/UFP/ufp.html

I AGREE........ ;) TO MUCH MILITARY STUFF WILL MAKE ME STOP WATCHING. ;)