Sign in to follow this  
mrskirk

Marla McGuyvers

I just got done watching "Space Seed" on the Sci-Fi Channel's TOS marathon. I haven't seen that episode for a long time, and had forgotten much of it. After seeing it again, I just can't figure out Marla McGuyvers. She falls in love with Khan, who treats her with brutality and disrespect. She almost redeems herself by saving Captain Kirk's life, but at the end of the episode she follows her man, even after the way he abused her and her crewmates. I mean, is this the enlightened, educated woman of the future? I think not!! What do my fellow female trekkies think? Guys, I'd like to hear your opinions too!

I totally agree. I was appalled at the way Khan treated her and she just followed him like a little puppy dog. He was obviously a control freak and she bought into that.

I think her character is more of a reflection of the time period in which it was written, when it was still thought that a woman needed a man in her life more than anything. For some reason the writers were unable to extrapolate how women's attitudes and roles would change into the future.

I would hope that most women would not tolerate that kind of treatment today.

I actually have a sister (not Soong) who is just like this girl. She puts up with all sorts of crud from her spouse and I have not respect for her because of it. My hubbie would never treat me this way and if he did, he would be picking him self up off the floor.

I don't understand this kind of mind set and I doubt I ever will. Marla made many choices that make no sense to me. Khan may have be good looking and strong, but would it be worth the bruises? I think not.

I agree with what y'all are saying, but as Ms. Soong pointed out - these people do exist. Starfleet is made up of all types of people. Who knows? Maybe she was a submissive at heart. Khan did seem to care about her in a sadistic sort of way.

If it had been me (not that it would have!), I wouldn't have been able to fight the guy, but I would have located a phaser PDQ. I'd only set it on stun, for sure, but stun has several different settings - start low and work up from there!

I've known more then a few beautiful, intellegent, kind young girl whoes only fualt was that they were attracted to really aweful men. I think I speak for all of the smart attractive single men out there when I say "girls are wierd!"

.....well, most of them anyway :andorian:

There are a few Treks’ that show the cadet screening process is far from perfect.

As far as Khan caring for her I say no way. Khan cared ONLY for himself (and his group of superpeople) in every circumstance. In his opinion she was very attractive but he saw her as nothing more than an accessory to his wardrobe, having her on his arm made him look good so she was something he could use.

I cant wait for book three of the Eugenics Wars, (will take place on Ceti Alpha during the years of exile) should be very interesting to find out the truth about what happened to her. I’m betting she outlived her usefulness and became the victim of an unfortunate... accident.

I cant wait for book three of the Eugenics Wars, (will take place on Ceti Alpha during the years of exile) should be very interesting to find out the truth about what happened to her. I’m betting she outlived her usefulness and became the victim of an unfortunate... accident.

I seem to remember Khan mentioning Marla's fate during Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. He was telling Checkov about those ugly squrimy creatures and how they are the only indiginous life on Seti Alpha 5. He then mentions the creatures killed several of his people, including his "beloved wife." I assume Marla was his wife, unless he got rid of her and married one of the "super women" from the Botany Bay. I guess I'll have to check out that book when it comes out.

Yeah, i remembered that too, I did get the feeling he was talking about Marla. What a way to die, with one of those things in you...ick!

I agree, Marla McGuyvers actions are appalling. She was used as a doormat yet she still left with her man. Her actions set women back to the dark ages when men were thought to be superior to women. Kahn treated her as a child not an adult that she was. Because of her actions I can't accept her as one of us. Ms. McGuyvers demeans herself and all women by allowing a man like Kahn or any other man to treat her that way. :)

I have seen girls throw themselves at men who are complete b*stards in the name of love. I had a friend who was a guy and subsequently I have fallen out with him. But he had this girl who fancied the hell out of him and he would do things like push her down steps in a night club, throw drinks over her and generally be a complete git to her. And she would repetitively let him do this. She loved him and obsessed over him. Of course one day she snapped and that was that. I would like to think that Marla also snapped and Khan put one of those things in her to make her more obedient. I can only think of all the other super humans as hating her as a norm and being jealous of her affections with Khan, whom THEY all love no end. Maybe she was murdered. I myself would never let anyone walk over me. My mother taught me that. She said no one will respect you when you wont respect yourself! Wise woman. :)

All I can say is that . . .

“Love is blind”

That’s reality (and it is displayed over and over again in our society)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I have heard that some women think that they can change the man and thats why they stay or they are so afriad that the male will kill her that she takes it. I could be wrong but thats what I have gotten from watching shows on wife beaters.

in my experience a lot of women think they need to stay with the bad guy, or thats as good as it gets. love is blind no doubt. but unfortunately women feel attracted to these types, and the men take advantage of it to the fullest extent.

Funny thing, I remember watching this episode (when I was a kid) with my mom and asking her why this woman kept after Khan even after the way he was treating her. My mom's eye brows went up and she just grinned. After I grew up I realized it's all about sex boys and girls. Khan was probably hung like a mule, he _was_ a genetically superior male you know, LOL.

When I was in high school,I was smitten with a girl in my class (we were both sophomores),but she already had a boyfriend.A fellow who mistreated her,verbally assaulted her,and allowed his friends to do the same (like a pack of loyal dogs,his friends seemed to always flank him wherever he roamed).I just couldn't understand why she would put up with that sort of abuse,when I would have done anything for her.

Another girl,a close friend of mine,told me that some women just like that sort of a guy (I can't bring myself to call that type a "man").For some women,they think they can redeem the guy.Others are attracted to the tough-guy persona.Still others,and this is sad,actually like the abuse.

I'm not sure what Marla McGivers saw in Khan.Certainly he was a handsome fellow,and being a 21st-century man he would have appealed to her historians mind.Khan had a magnetic personality,as well.Perhaps McGivers was hooked by all these things?Perhaps something else entirely.We'll never know.

I was always a little stumped by this also. She was a beautiful, educated woman, why would she subject herself to his cruelty. But then again, LOOK at him, he is gorgeous, and a historical figure out of the past. Something that was sort of a fascination for her. Hummmmmm......