Sign in to follow this  
Odie

Faith and the Military

I have found an article in Star and Stripes the Asian edition on shortage of Catholic priests in the Army. I am interested in your views on the matter.

Military hopes upcoming USFK retreat will help Army find more Catholic priests

25979_1211161659b.jpg

YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — The U.S. Army and its chaplains are helping the Catholic Church recruit priests who could serve in the Pacific theater.

The effort is not altogether new. Military officials are constantly looking for ordained ministers of various faiths to ensure each service branch has enough religious leaders for the men and women stationed throughout the world.

But the need for Catholic priests in the military, and especially in the U.S. Army, has grown so dire that chaplains are reaching out to men who aren’t even in seminary yet. The idea is to recruit from within the ranks and attract men who might be interested in serving both their God and their country.

“This is part of the intent, for young men who are wrestling with the call, to reach out to them,” said Col. Samuel Boone, a Christian Church Disciples of Christ minister and 8th Army command chaplain.

So for the second year, U.S. Forces Korea is holding a three-day retreat — from Dec. 27 to Dec. 29 — for men who might be interested in becoming priests. Any man in the Pacific theater, civilian or military, is invited. The chaplains have a small reserve fund to help with travel costs, and they are asking commanders to consider granting “permissive temporary duty status,” or free leave, to those who want to attend.

About a quarter of the people in the military are Catholic, according to Boone and Navy Capt. James L. Danner, himself a priest who also serves as the Pacific area command chaplain. Yet there aren’t enough priests to minister to that many Catholics, Danner said during an interview in Seoul last week.

“We’re so short on priests,” Danner said. “We just had a 78-year-old lieutenant, active duty Navy, retire. He had his 20 years in.”

The military tries to provide one minister for every 1,000 servicemembers of a particular faith. By Danner’s reckoning, the Navy should have 250 priests to serve Catholic sailors. He expects to have half that many next year.

“The shortages have been there,” Danner said, adding that the average age of all military chaplains is 38. “But people are really hitting the panic button.”

In the Army, the numbers are worse.

In 1977, there were 260 Catholic priests who served as Army chaplains. Now there about 90, a 65 percent decrease, according to Father Vince Burns, an Army chaplain who is retired but serving full time in Area II, which includes Yongsan and Seoul. Seventeen other priests in the Army also have agreed to work during retirement to address the shortage, Burns said.

Next week, military chaplains are planning a similar session at West Point for Jewish personnel, according to Maj. F. Richard Spencer, a chaplain with the chief of chaplains office in Arlington, Va. There are 12 slots for rabbis within the military, but only four assignments are filled, Danner said.

The retreat last year in Seoul proved encouraging, Boone said. Nine men attended, and two are now in seminary.

Boone and Danner both said the recruitment effort meets the military’s goal of trying to provide religious services while men and women are stationed away from home. The military has chaplains from dozens of dominations and religions, they said, including Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Buddhist, Boone said.

“So the ACLU is going to come in and say — separation of church and state?” Danner lightheartedly asked Boone during a meeting last week while they talked about the upcoming retreat.

“Not so far,” Boone replied.

About 20 people have expressed interest this year, including two men in Japan, Boone said. Anyone interested in the retreat can call 725-6009 (DSN) or e-mail boones@korea.army.mil.

There is a shortage of priests in America period...not just the military.

Because the military acknowledges all kinds of religions (including wicca) and provides for the whole need of the enlisted man, and life and death issues are particularly keen in the military, I see no conflict with 'separation of church and state' because the military is trying to help the Catholic Church find ' a few good men.'

There would be a problem if they were actually trying to promote Catholicism among the rank and file. This is the other way around. They are trying to effectively serve enlisted men and women who are Catholics.

That's not surprising that there is a shortage of Catholic priests serving the military ... we have parishes closing around here because there are not enough priests to go around.

I agree with mj ... there is no issue of "separation of church and state" in this matter. These ladies and gentlemen were already Catholic before they went into the military. It's a shame that there are not enough priests to serve them.

Is there a shortage of chaplains in any other faith, or is it just Catholic?

I wonder what the answer is for recruiting more men to become priests in general? Is God just not calling as many or are they just ignoring the call?

There has been a shortage of priests in the USA for quite a while. My parish is one of many that has a priest from a foreign country, India. The reason of course is because there is such a shortage. Many American Catholics take issue with many of the traditional views of the Catholic church. One of these issues is the fact that priest cannot marry. Many feel that this is the reason why fewer Catholic men are entering the priesthood today. Personally, I think there is much validity to this perception.

Many American Catholics take issue with many of the traditional views of the Catholic church.  One of these issues is the fact that priest cannot marry.  Many feel that this is the reason why fewer Catholic men are entering the priesthood today.  Personally, I think there is much validity to this perception.

289119[/snapback]

My husband used to be Catholic (parochial school, altar boy, the whole bit). He also says that there would be more men willing to become priests if they were allowed to marry and have families as well.

Protestant ministers have spouses and children and I can say from personal experience that the spouses are for the most part completely involved in the church, are great helpmates, and are viewed very positively by the congregation. Really an asset to the ministry.

Now, preacher's kids on the other hand .... :) I've know some real "wild child" preacher kids in my time. :) And of course some very nice ones, too!!

There is a shortage in Catholic priests in North America, but there is a shortage in rabbis. My concern is that one day the ACLU will tell the government to drop the chaplain officers from the military, because of separation of church and state. They have given lots of hints about doing it. The chaplains provide vital supports for the military. They where there for me when I need help in dealing with my mother death.

Edited by Odie

My brother has been in the military for 20 years this February.

In all his years he has never had a difficulty with what religion the chaplains are.

They must work with all denominations, and he and I have had many interesting conversations regarding this.

I don't believe this shortage is just the military problem. The church itself is finding it hard to get "recruits" into the priesthood.

Myself not being catholic, I don't see myself as going to the Seminar, and again, I can't because I'm not assigned to the Pacific Theatre. However, there IS a real shortage here. I can say from experience, with a growing number of US troops finding themselves in combat, more and more are probably finding religion if they didn't have one before, which probably increases the problem. Ya know the old saying, "There are no athiests in foxholes." I know talking to the Chaplian can really help during periods between Combat, because such action goes against the nature that most religions preach....

I think others have stated that there is a shortage of priests in general - and I agree the marriage issue probably has something to do with it.

I also need to reiterate - the issue isn't "separation of church and state" but "the Establishment Clause" of the US Constitution. And I think the relevant issue here is that as the article pointed out - the Catholic organization had a fund to finance the travel plans. In other words - the taxpayer wasn't paying for the conference so no "establishment clause" issues.

Now, whether the ACLU will someday try to eliminate chaplains from the military - it wouldn't surprise me. But do they really want to be known as the organization that deprived a dying soldier of last rights or denied solace or counseling to a soldier before battle. It will be a sad day for our country when we reach that point.

Well you do have to consider that they want to take away any Bible on government property even if they were donated by a charity....

ATHEISM BY DEFINITION IS A RELIGION!!!

There is obviously a shortage of priests. Now with the "scandal" that the media has overblown, there is now going to be such a stereotype with priests that some may not want to take up the job. Also y'all bring a very good point. Marriage. Because of celebacy, they can't marry. Unfortunate, but they did take the oath.