Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Is It Better That Data Died Instead of Picard

Would You Have Preferred That Picard Have Died Instead of Data on Star Trek Nemesis?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Have Preferred That Picard Have Died Instead of Data on Star Trek Nemesis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't Matter

The whole movie was bad. Poorly written, and the sad attempt to breathe some genuine excitement into the script by killing a main character was hideous.

That having been said, Data was given the out by having B4 discovered, and in my opinion, wasting a quarter of the film time setting up the failsafe for the "climactic" ending.

I think that the only good reason for killing Data, was that as an android, he seemed to be getting a little aged looking, this way if they bring the cast back again, any physical differences can ba explained as belonging solely to B4

I for one hope that they do one more film at least, and manage to replace my faith in the franchise.

291217[/snapback]

You're forgetting that Data's aging has been explained away by TNG writers a long time ago. I don't remember the exact episode, but Data explained that he was designed to slowly show the signs of age in order to better fit in with humans, despite the fact that he could continue functioning for centuries.

I voted no to this question.

I agree with the others who wrote that no one should have died. Just because it's a major motion picture is not a adaquent reason to kill off a major character. After all, Star Trek (for me) has always been about the characters. This just took another one (along with James Kirk and Tasha Yar) of those I love away.

The whole movie was bad. Poorly written, and the sad attempt to breathe some genuine excitement into the script by killing a main character was hideous.

That having been said, Data was given the out by having B4 discovered, and in my opinion, wasting a quarter of the film time setting up the failsafe for the "climactic" ending.

I think that the only good reason for killing Data, was that as an android, he seemed to be getting a little aged looking, this way if they bring the cast back again, any physical differences can ba explained as belonging solely to B4

I for one hope that they do one more film at least, and manage to replace my faith in the franchise.

291217[/snapback]

You're forgetting that Data's aging has been explained away by TNG writers a long time ago. I don't remember the exact episode, but Data explained that he was designed to slowly show the signs of age in order to better fit in with humans, despite the fact that he could continue functioning for centuries.

292511[/snapback]

I believe it was "Inheritance", on the basis that they were discussing how Dr. Tainer was designed to age so as she could appear to still be human. And there was a mention that he had been designed similarly.