Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Chimera Class ~

I had heard of the Chimera class in researching for an RPG but I had never seen one. I found this picture and a brief history. I wasn't a big fan of DS9 so I wasn't even aware of it's existence. But according to it's brief history it's now extinct. Is this correct? Can anyone tell me what "EAS" means?

post-897-1102347461.jpg

EAS Capetown

Chimera Class History

The Chimera Class Large Cruiser was an EA attempt to build a ship out of spare parts. During the Earth-Minbari War, numerous Hyperion class cruisers and Nova class dreadnoughts would make it out of battle, but were so badly damaged that they were put aside to be repaired later, when wartime ship production let up. Unfortunately for the EA, the faster they produced ships, the faster the Minbari destroyed them.

One EA engineer, on his way to his daily building duties at the Alpha Centauri Fleet Yards, noticed that quite a few of the mothballed Hyperions had only heavily damaged engineering sections. He also noticed that the aft ends of many Novas were more or less intact. He proposed that a new type of cruiser be built off of these discarded ships. Using the forward part of the Hyperion Class (forward the first engineering "block"), coupled with the aft third of a Nova, the Chimera Class Large Cruiser was born.

The ship, on paper at least, was impressive. Six Mk-I interceptors, 4 SPBs, 2 MPCs, and 4 of the Nova's LPA's rounded out the Alpha model's weapons array. A flight of fighters provided the ship with adequate fighter protection. With a Nova reactor, it was thought that there would be ample power to keep the ship in combat. It proved less than satisfactory. Of the 47 built, only 15 survived the EM war. Tactics used during the War was blamed for this. The Beta model replaced the LPA's with Heavy LPA's. The reactor could barely handle the added power requirements, and only 8 were refit before the Earth Civil War. Chimeras fought on both sides, though the EA's Chimeras were mainly used as Colony Guard vessels at the smaller, outlying colonies. By the time of the civil war, 12 were in service, 4 for Clark, 3 defected to Sheridan, 2 were uninvolved, the rest served in colony defense.

The entire class was decommissioned in late 2263, as more Omega class ships were built, allowing the Hyperion Monitor Cruiser to take over Colony Guard.

You have your shows confused. This ship is from Babylon 5 not DS9.

The EAS stands for Earth Alliance Starship. The Earth Alliance was the name for the united earth government.

Sorry, I never watched Babylon5 either. :laugh: Thank you.

Edited by ddillard