Sign in to follow this  
Matt

Captain Riker

Just wondering how ye all think Riker will do as Captain of his own ship. I think he was a good leader whenever on his own however he was very sycophantic with Jean-Luc which didn't really help him to shine.

(Wondering what Rikerchick will say).

I think he was a great leader in most situations including when he was with Picard (I disagree totally with the sycophantic bit) and he'll do great as a Captain. He should have accepted the first ship they offered him though, it was silly that he kept turning down commands.

I don't blame Riker for turning down commands. I would rather be second banana on the flagship of the fleet as opposed to the top dog on some other ship.

I think he was a great leader. He was the exact man for the job in "The Best of Both Worlds I & II." Just think where Picard would be if a lesser man had been at the helm of the Enterprise ... I think it would have been hard for anyone but Riker to have taken charge and rescued Picard.

Hey, RC, I know you weren't too hip on Riker and Troi, but what was your opinion on Riker and Ro Laren? I loved that episode where they are shagging like minks (is it "Conundrum?") only to come back to themselves and remember they hate each other!

P.S. I've been a big Jonathan Frakes fan ever since his stint on The Waltons years before TNG. He's just cool.

He should have accepted the first ship they offered him though, it was silly that he kept turning down commands.

I don't think so. The first ship he was offered was the Drake, which honestly was a tiny, crappy little ship. A Wambundu class starship, and not really important. So I think he made the right decision to pass on that one.

Then, he was offered the Aries. A Renaissance class starship and even Picard said that it was an insignificant ship. So again, he made the right choice and turned it down.

Then came the Melbourne and if he accepted that one, he would have been killed at Wolf 359.

Eventually, he took the Titan, which is speculated to be a Prometheus class ship, which is pretty impressive and looks very cool. So he was right to hold out until they offered him the coolest ship. He might not have got the offer if he wasn't as high profile as he was as the EXO on the flagship. Also, being on the Enterprise presented many chances for him to be a hero, which also would have made him more reknowned.

I don't blame Riker for turning down commands. I would rather be second banana on the flagship of the fleet as opposed to the top dog on some other ship.

Exactly.

Edited by The King

Hey, RC, I know you weren't too hip on Riker and Troi, but what was your opinion on Riker and Ro Laren?  I loved that episode where they are shagging like minks (is it "Conundrum?") only to come back to themselves and remember they hate each other! 

285159[/snapback]

I actually like the idea of those two together. Ro had so much more personality then Troi IMO. I've said it before though, I think Troi would've been a much better character if they had let Marina's personality show through in her more. In every interview I've seen Marina is a lot of fun.

Good point, but I think it had more to do with being so close to the crew of Enterprise.

Well the Titian is speculated to be a Titan clas ship, a brand new ship we have yet to see.

Well the Titian is speculated to be a Titan clas ship, a brand new ship we have yet to see.

Well, the reasoning I heard is that the Prometheus is pretty much one step up from the Sovereign class, and they do resemble each other. So unless it's confirmed, I tend to believe the idea that the Starship Titan, is Prometheus class. Even the name "Titan" and "Prometheus" are in the same vein of mythology and such.

Paramount should make a few TV movies or direct-to-video/DVD movies featuring the Titan and Captain Riker.

They would cheaper to make than the "blockbuster" cinematic movie releases and it might restore some quality to the franchise.

Disney have been making a killing through doing that.

Star Trek and Disney shouldn't mix. 

Well, I wasn't suggesting that Donald Duck makes an appearance on ENT or anything like that.

:nono:

But the strategy they have of releasing direct-to-home-viewing movies may be something Paramount should consider, rather than wasting massive amounts of money on cinematic releases that completely bomb.

While Jonathan Frakes is available, "Titan" movies may be a good idea.

ya but the series would have to be set in 2380 something. They would have to start the series in the middle of it's commsion and not start when it is launching because the years would not match up.

ya but the series would have to be set in 2380 something. They would have to start the series in the middle of it's commsion and not start when it is launching because the years would not match up.

So?

Why does the show have to start at it's commission. They could start the series after it's been in space for a while. Also, it wouldn't be a "series" like ENT. I would say perhaps twelve two hour "movies". The first would be the introduction and an adventure of some kind, then, the others could be self contained stories.

While Jonathan Frakes is available, "Titan" movies may be a good idea.[/b]

285213[/snapback]

You're making an assumption that Jonathan Frakes is available. He seems to prefer directing to acting now and may have committments upcoming that haven't been announced yet. Agreeing to direct a movie is like making at least a year long committment to a project.

You're making an assumption that Jonathan Frakes is available. He seems to prefer directing to acting now and may have committments upcoming that haven't been announced yet. Agreeing to direct a movie is like making at least a year long committment to a project.

Well, I mean he's still alive and also his character isn't dead.

And Thunderbirds and Clockstoppers didn't exactly set the box office alight.

I'd much rather see them do a high-quality television mini-series with Riker on the Titan (or Sisko returning from the Celestial Temple) than another big screen farce.

I would definitely purchase a direct-to-DVD featuring the Titan, I would certainly watch it if it first aired on television and then buy it when it became available.

This could be the salvation of the franchise if someone over at Paramount would get their head out of their bottom.

As much as I think he'd be a great captain, I'm not interested in seeing any more TNG in any form. They've run their course, it's time to focus on the other shows.

I would definitely purchase a direct-to-DVD featuring the Titan, I would certainly watch it if it first aired on television and then buy it when it became available.

There you see? It's already selling!!!! :nono:

This could be the salvation of the franchise if someone over at Paramount would get their head out of their bottom.

That's a big "if". :nono::nono:

As much as I think he'd be a great captain, I'm not interested in seeing any more TNG in any form. They've run their course, it's time to focus on the other shows

The problem is, that TNG seems to be the only likely option at this point, barring the creation of another Trek show of "Deep Space Nine" quality.

I doubt there is much demand for any further VOY adventures. ENT is a disgrace. TOS actors are all too old. DS9 ended in a way that doesn't really open up many possiblities for further exploration.

There you see? It's already selling!!!! :drool:

285429[/snapback]

Yes, but I'm an easy mark and maybe a little less discriminating than some. :naughty:

Yes, but I'm an easy mark and maybe a little less discriminating than some. 

:naughty:

I will also mention that the DVD should have many extras and features too.

Interviews, commentaries, documentaries, production designs, concept art etc etc......

:drool:

Edited by The King

I think that Riker would have made a great Captain. I can understand why he turned down the commands to remain on Enterprise, as it made him in good line to command the ship if the need arose. But honestly I am not really interested in more TNG movies, I agree with RC that it is time to concentrate on the other series.