Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Emotioal Vulcans

You know I've heard alot of people bit...........err complain about the fact that the vulcans on Enterprise are a bit too emotional. Well maybe, just maybe there is an explanation for it. I think that this whole arc with Archer carrying Surak's Katra could lead up to that in the furture.Surak said something about Vulcans straying away from what he wanted.Maybe them being emotional is part of that.Maybe when this is all over they will be like the normal vulcans we are used too.

Remember people, these aren't the same Vulcans we are used to.

Agreements,disagreements,other theories?

I that's pretty much the point of the 'Vulcan Reformation Arc'. I don't think TPTB meant to write Vulcans as they have so far but it gave Coto the ability to come up with this whole arc that rectifies that situation as well as giving glimpses towards the eventual formation of the Federation. Very cool indeed.

These aren't the Vulcans we're used to.

But that's because it seems like the Syrranites are the ones we "know" from TOS, TNG, etc. These are a different sect of Vulcans. Gotta love Coto "fixing" things.

That works for Soval, T'Pol, V'Las, or other High Command offiliated Vulcans, but T'Pau and T'Les seem to have a lot of emotion in their voices when they speak. Maybe even the Syrranites aren't as close to the Surak's teachings as they believe. And Surak himself in Archer's visions has seemed almost like Yoda in delivering great words of wisdom, but having a comedic edge to whatever he says.

I can live with it, but I would like to see a better job being done in the future to ensure that Vulcan's sound more logical in their speeking.

That works for Soval, T'Pol, V'Las, or other High Command offiliated Vulcans, but T'Pau and T'Les seem to have a lot of emotion in their voices when they speak. Maybe even the Syrranites aren't as close to the Surak's teachings as they believe. And Surak himself in Archer's visions has seemed almost like Yoda in delivering great words of wisdom, but having a comedic edge to whatever he says.

285056[/snapback]

But future generations of Vulcans will "perfect" Surak's teachings and techniques for surpression/control of their emotions. Think of this as watching toddlers walk. They can function, they're starting to learn, but sometimes fall. We still have a lifetime for a Vulcan (presumably a few generations in there) between ENT and TOS.

This arc also gave us a glimpse into Vulcan society before they adopted Surak's teachings. Even though we only saw it from a distance Vulcan still looked pretty violent.

I have to agree that the Vulcans that we see on Enterprise are not the same society that we see in the other series. There is still plenty of time for the race to evolve into the completely logical race that we are accustomed to. It is obvious that it would take many, many, generations to perfect the suppression of emotions.

and there are emotional Vulcans on the other series. Just watch the DS9 episode "Take Me Out to the Holosuite"

Yes, and what with Vorik in the VOY episode "Blood Fever". I know it was the Pon'Far, but Vorik (or was it Tuvok) said that then the Vulcans are experiencing this period, they are having difficulty controlling their emotions. And Vorik got rather furious several times in that episode.

And let us not forget Sarek in the TNG episode "Sarek".

:blink:

Edited by 3 of 7

I remember meeting a Vulcan once who was really naturally emotional. He was so emotional he believed he could meet god atthe centre of the universe.