Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Super beings and powerful ships

I have noticed that compared to the other series there are a lot more extremely advanced alien ships and super-beings in TOS. The Enterprise regularly met aliens with God like powers and races with super technology. In Enterprise and TNG, ships that are encountered by those Enterprises are nearly always on their same technological level. What happened to a lot of these races? Also, on a side note, when Enterprise NX meets other ships they are always developed to the same level as them. But remember the Promellian Battle Cruiser from 1000 years before? What if they met a race that has been developing thousands of years before them and could blow them out of the sky like a fart? Well, just a thought...

The problem with meeting godlike figures frequently is that, 'realistically', that would end the show by killing the crew easily. The only way around this is to have entities like Q, all-powerful but not about destroying the crew so much as about challenging people's perceptions and ideas. ("Encounter at Farpoint" notwithstanding.)

The problem with meeting godlike figures frequently is that, 'realistically', that would end the show by killing the crew easily.  The only way around this is to have entities like Q, all-powerful but not about destroying the crew so much as about challenging people's perceptions and ideas.  ("Encounter at Farpoint" notwithstanding.)

I agree. Having the "super beings" appear on a regular basis would cause people to begin questioning the feasibility of the series. It would not make sense for the crew to consistently out do a foe that was on an extremely advanced ship, people would stop being able to accept it fairly quickly.

About the Aliens: it was TOS!

About the technologies: The Ent's of different series met up with species, which were either more or less advanced from what had been seen before or after.

The problem with meeting godlike figures frequently is that, 'realistically', that would end the show by killing the crew easily.  The only way around this is to have entities like Q, all-powerful but not about destroying the crew so much as about challenging people's perceptions and ideas.  ("Encounter at Farpoint" notwithstanding.)

I agree. Having the "super beings" appear on a regular basis would cause people to begin questioning the feasibility of the series. It would not make sense for the crew to consistently out do a foe that was on an extremely advanced ship, people would stop being able to accept it fairly quickly.

Not at all, unlike TNG's "Borg" the Enterprise of TOS was rarely if ever in direct conflict with these god-like super biengs, which were usually mediators in lesser conflicts with "beings our own size" such as the Klingons and Gorn.

These super beings were usually, and thankfully, non-combatant and peace loving beings ... Orgainians, Metrons, etc. who put us in our place by showing us just how primative we were, however, there were episodes where the tables were turned and we proved to the super beings that we were not all that primative after all, and taught them a thing or two about compassion and love .... "The Cage" and "The Empath" are excellent examples.

Love and compassion IS OUR STRENGTH people of Earth, please don't ever forget it or abandon it, as it would certainly be our downfall.

Edited by Big_Steve

Ever notice that depending on the Trek series,the aliens met by the Starfleet are usually on the same technological level?Does that mean the various sentient species of the galaxy (with warp drive capability) are evolving at a similar rate,or are of a similar age?

Also many past races such as the T'Kon,the Hur'q,the Promellians,and theTriskelions,were all exploring,conquoring and or settling various worlds at roughly the same times.Does that mean that civilizations tend to "grow up" together,flourish at similar times,and then either evolve into more powerful beings (like the Douwds),or disappear together,and then new,younger species begin the process again (and again and again),in a sort of natural cycle of life?

Edited by Sirius

Does that mean that civilizations tend to "grow up" together,flourish at similar times,and then either evolve into more powerful beings (like the Douwds),or disappear together,and then new,younger species begin the process again (and again and again),in a sort of natural cycle of life?

:lol: Nice theory, makes sense and I buy it.

Ever notice that depending on the Trek series,the aliens met by the Starfleet are usually on the same technological level?Does that mean the various sentient species of the galaxy (with warp drive capability) are evolving at a similar rate,or are of a similar age?

Also many past races such as the T'Kon,the Hur'q,the Promellians,and theTriskelions,were all exploring,conquoring and or settling various worlds at roughly the same times.Does that mean that civilizations tend to "grow up" together,flourish at similar times,and then either evolve into more powerful beings (like the Douwds),or disappear together,and then new,younger species begin the process again (and again and again),in a sort of natural cycle of life?

That's a possibility.An interesting one.

I did notice that TOS had quite a number of episodes where the crew encounter superhuman or magical beings,as in the "Squire of Gothos","Catspaw",and "Who Mourns for Adonis".

I'm not really a fan of those type of shows,and would have preferred more Klingon shows,or even a few shows taking place on Earth at Starfleet Command HQ or something (I know they were on a 5-year exploration mission,but they traveled to Vulcan in "Amok Time",and Vulcan is very close to Earth).

I did notice that TOS had quite a number of episodes where the crew encounter superhuman or magical beings,as in the "Squire of Gothos","Catspaw",and "Who Mourns for Adonis".

I'm not really a fan of those type of shows,and would have preferred more Klingon shows,or even a few shows taking place on Earth at Starfleet Command HQ or something (I know they were on a 5-year exploration mission,but they traveled to Vulcan in "Amok Time",and Vulcan is very close to Earth).

Interesting, I would venture to guess that you are more a fan of TNG?

Space exploration is what TOS was all about ... to seek out strange new life and civilazations, to boldly go where no man has gone before!

The superbeing episodes were my favorites, the stories were great and the messages deeper.

In "Who Mourns For Adonis" Apollo was not more powerful than the Enterprise, this was the message of the story, that we had out-grown and become more powerful than the old gods we used to worship ... a mighty statement.

I enjoyed the majority of TOS's episodes,including the one's featuring nearly omnipotent beings(always thought The Squire of Gothos was a Q) :grin: ...anyway,I'm sure if TOS had survived and filmed 1,2,or 3 more seasons,we would have seen more episodes with klingons,and shows set on Earth (at some point).It seemed as if every TOS episode had a moral,or at least made a statement about some aspect of humanity.I didn't always agree with the show's statements,or messages,but it was interesting.The newer Trek shows have sort of gotten away from that a little.