Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

Equilibrium

If Sisko had made good on his threat to reveal the truth about Trill and symbiont compatability, do you think that would have constituted a violation of the Prime Directive, and if so do you think Sisko would have gone through with it?

As far as I know the prime directive doesn't apply once they're members of the Federation. Don't think he would have done it though.

Actually I think it would have, remember in TNG's "Redemption" the Federation didn't get involved directly in the Klingon Civil war because it was an internal matter. I think this would be a similar situation.

True but I'm sure that if the Klingons had asked for help then it would've been given. Also since when are the Klingons in the Federation?

True but I'm sure that if the Klingons had asked for help then it would've been given. Also since when are the Klingons in the Federation?

282236[/snapback]

That's true they aren't in the Federation but they had a treaty with the Federation, also Gowron did ask for help but was refused. That's why Worf resigned his commission to join the Klingon Defense Force.

I don't recall any instance of the Federation deliberately interfering in the internal business of any of it's allies or member states.

The Prime Directive only applied to pre-warp civilizations. Warp capability is a requisite of joining the Federation.

Therefore, if a species is a member of the Federation they are not protected by the Prime Directive.

The Federation might not interfere anyway, but it would have nothing to do with the Prime Directive mandating it.

The Prime Directive applies to all Planets and Species, not just pre warp or non member worlds. The Prime Directive states that the Federation cannot interfere with the internal politics or natural development of any world. This is why the Federation was not able to help the Klingons during the civil war even when it was requested by Gowron. In cases of there being internal conflicts on Federation Member Worlds the Federation would provide a mediator to assist in negotiating a peaceful settlement but they cannot directly intervene in any other way. The Prime Directive is the only item that separates the Federation from empires that Conquer worlds rather than accept them as members.

Yeah, I also remember in "First Contact" (the TNG episode not the movie) that when Picard was talking to Durken and explained the Prime Directive Durken asked if that meant that the Federation would not share it's technology with his people. Picard explained how it would be destructive to his people to advance them in such a way. So it does seem that the PD doesn't just apply to pre-warp civilizations.

I often thought that Sisko was walking a very fine line between the Federation and Bajor anyway. There was definitely a conflict of interest there, don't you think? I wonder how the Prime Directive would have applied to Sisko's role as the Emissary ... it was alluded to at different times during the series, but never substantively.

Back to the Trill thing ... I think Sisko would definitely have been in violation of some kind of Federation mandate if he had exposed the compatibility issue. But as a member of the Trill race and a joined Trill, if Jadzia had exposed the truth would SHE have been in any hot water with Starfleet?

I doubt Jadzia would have been in any trouble with the Federation, they can't govern the Trill planet. Also is there much her own government could have done? She's revealing the truth to her people but I suppose it could be a national security issue.

The Federation didn't interfere in the Klingon Civil War because it would have been a dumb thing to do, as 1) it would have given open license to other civilizations (most notably the Romulans) to do the same and 2) if Gowron won with open Federation backing (which was by no means certain if the conflict had widened) other Houses would have accused him of selling out. It had nothing to do with the Prime Directive.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

It had nothing to do with the Prime Directive.

283297[/snapback]

In the episode Picard said that Starfleet had classified the Klingon matter strictly an internal affair. Wouldn't that make it a Prime Directive Matter?

It had nothing to do with the Prime Directive.

283297[/snapback]

In the episode Picard said that Starfleet had classified the Klingon matter strictly an internal affair. Wouldn't that make it a Prime Directive Matter?

283471[/snapback]

Is the Prime Directive the only reason something can be classified as an internal affair?

I don't think so. If that were so then wouldn't it really make the Fedeation President the ruler of every world in the Federation. Each world governs itself and they do so justly otherwise they wouldn't be Federation members. Eitherway it doesn't matter, the Klingons aren't part of the Federation.