Sign in to follow this  
cassidy

why do the stars bounce off the ship?

im not sure if im getting this right, or do the stars seem to bounce off the enterprise? and shouldnt the stars be bigger compared with the enterprise?? and its not space junk, i know that, because space junk doesnt glow. am i just getting confused here?

I once had a problem understanding "the stars, which seem to fly near ships at warp." I’ll try to explain and others can add on if I miss anything or screw it up. Imagine the invisible warp field around the ship, although invisible it does have an effect, it causes distortions or magnifications of stars in the distant background causing them to appear more nearby. If you look carefully as a ship goes out of warp, star streaks, which did seem to be very near the ship shrinks back to distant point’s of lights. Does that help?

I have the real explanation and that is, stars do not bounce off the ship, if the ship came in direct contact with a corona, the ship would melt. The "stars" flying past are really particles of space dust being ploughed out of the ships path by the deflector at many times the speed of light. If the deflector was not active at warp, these tiny particles would punch a hole the sizev of your fist right through the ship.

Great explanation, Alterego.
Alterego..you are a very smart man..I understand now.

Thank you ddillard, jdigs! Made of rubber; :innocent:

shrek, I will conceded to the possibility some of what we are seeing with the special effect could certainly be as you describe but the fact still remains we do often see the effect shrink back to become distant stars so both explanations (within different circumstances) are valid, imo.

I tend to agree with Alterego. With the effects that are shown it seems more likely that the majority of what we are seeing are distant stars...

Great explaination Alterego!

And ARMS...yours brings up a good point as well...

Yes he does, I would be very interested in ENT showing something about how the deflector, deflects, that has never been done, right?

thats always troubled me too. i just assumed it was space dust.

i do really like the illusion explanation too though.

that was a good question cassidy.

good explainations...I always assumed that the ship through between the stars, and because it was going so fast it looked like it was travelling in a straight line...and that the distances between stars were big enough for a ship to fly through...but your explainations are right too, so...

Great explaination Alterego!

And ARMS...yours brings up a good point as well...

Yes he does, I would be very interested in ENT showing something about how the deflector, deflects, that has never been done, right?

I don't watch ENT, so I can't guarantee that I am right..but, I don't think it has been mentioned in anything that I have read...