Sign in to follow this  
Derro

GM Crops

What do you think of GM crops.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of GM crops.

• Have no problem GM crops(US resident)
    • Not sure(US resident)
    • Am deeply opossed to GM crops(US resident)
    • Have no problem GM crops(NON US resident)
    • Not sure(NON US resident)
    • Am deeply opossed to GM crops(NON US resident)

The point of this poll is to see what peoples opinions are on genetically modified crops. Since most of these crops are consumed (including cotton via cottonseed oil) I thought it might be interesting to see peoples reponses on it.

I have split the poll between US and non-US residents for the reason that the US is somewhat of an oddity in that it has readily adopted GM crops whilst there is stiff opposition everywhere else, especially in Europe.

For more info on GM crops here is a website:

http://www.isaaa.org/

It's kinda pro GM thou.

At this poiint I have no problem with genetically altered crops. If random selection occurs naturally in nature anyway. I don't think there is too much that can be done to injure people in this way. The genes are there, naturally occuring, science is just getting some together that haven't been joined before, that we know of.

No problem. It's not like the crop is not tested for poisons before it goes out to the farmers.

Random mutations do occur but they occur slowly and if they don't make the plant more adaptable the mutation dies out. We're manipulating things to avoid the natural developmental process.

So I said not sure because we really don't know what might happen. Some changes are minor - but some involve cross species introduction of genes. We have a tendency to jump onto the bandwagon without rigorously testing or probing possibilities. One of the problems I foresee is if a gene gets in the general population.

Example: suppose they attempt to control weeds by introducing a gene that renders the plant incapable of reproducing - if that gene crossed over into a food crop we could be in trouble.

Another potential drawback would be a side effect of the new gene. I know they are trying to take drought resistant genes and introduce them into food crops to help ease the world hunger situation - which is a great goal. But what if that new gene has an unanticipated side effect - such as people are allergic to it or it makes it more susceptible to disease - like the corn that causes digestive problems. Or that new gene mutates into something unanticipated and wipes out other crops.

I would say we need to proceed with greater caution.

Example:  suppose they attempt to control weeds by introducing a gene that renders the plant incapable of reproducing - if that gene crossed over into a food crop we could be in trouble.

279020[/snapback]

Plants are not like Star Trek characters. They don't mate, can't mate, outside of their species. If it took an act of man to give the weed the sterility gene then it would also take an act of man to pass it to the food supply.

I'm opposed to it. I'd rather eat something the is natural. Candy not included. :)

Lt. Van Roy, actually some plants can interbreed, but they have to be very similar, like certain types of citrus tress. Of course, they have to be quite similar, so your point is still valid.

Genetically manipulated plants... Prelude to the Eugenics War. B)

Edited by wishfire

Example:  suppose they attempt to control weeds by introducing a gene that renders the plant incapable of reproducing - if that gene crossed over into a food crop we could be in trouble.

279020[/snapback]

Plants are not like Star Trek characters. They don't mate, can't mate, outside of their species. If it took an act of man to give the weed the sterility gene then it would also take an act of man to pass it to the food supply.

279069[/snapback]

I admit I'm not a biologist but if they use a modified virus to introduce the gene couldn't that virus spread to other organisms?

279020[/snapback]

279069[/snapback]

I admit I'm not a biologist but if they use a modified virus to introduce the gene couldn't that virus spread to other organisms?

279122[/snapback]

If the virus mutated, definitely. It could even (possibly) mutate to a form that can infect humans.

Am deeply opossed to GM crops(US resident)

^generic reply because I don't feel like debating it, but I'm against it.

First of all, I don't know of any virus that can rewrite genetic code.

Second, even if there were such a virus, why would we use it to genetically modify our food supply? Wouldn't it be more efficient, and the results more predictable, if we modified the genetic code ourselves rather then leave it to a virus?

If a virus mutates (as many viruses do for either no reason or to adapt to defenses against it... take AIDS) it's genetic code is partially rewritten.

Plus, if you rewrote the genetic code of a weed to be unable to reproduce, how can it spread the gene? It can't reproduce, remember?

First of all, I don't know of any virus that can rewrite genetic code.

Second, even if there were such a virus, why would we use it to genetically modify our food supply?  Wouldn't it be more efficient, and the results more predictable, if we modified the genetic code ourselves rather then leave it to a virus?

279165[/snapback]

That is one of the methods of genetic engineering - using modified viruses because they are an easy delivery system.

Wishfire, if the modified plant can't reproduce with another similarly modified plant i'm not sure the virus couldn't transfer with the pollen (I guess that depends whether as a result of engineering whether the plant produces sterile pollen or simply does not produce pollen).

The point is when we act without enough research we can open a big can of worms.

I have no clue, but it seems to me that whether the pollen is non-existent, or if the pollen is sterile, it doesn't matter. If the pollen isn't there, it can't be transmitted. If the pollen is sterile, it can be transmitted but it can't do anything. Same result either way.

Genetic modifying viruses eh, reminds me of the “Forced Evolutionary Virus” on “Fallout” :)

Ok back to the point,

Speaking of weeds, it seems that most of the GM crop plants out there have only been developed solely because they made good business sense rather than anything else. An example of this is the chemical company “Monsanto” that produces the glyphosate based herbicide known as “Roundup”.

Monsanto also is a major leader when it comes to GM,

and what GM plants do you think they produce there? Why plants that are immune to the Roundup of course.

The farmer buys the GM seed from Monsanto and then the farmer goes and buys the herbicide also from Monsanto, bloody brilliant business strategy if you ask me.

True, but that doesn't stop inter-breeding between a GM plant and a non-GM plant so long as they are of the same species.