Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ StarFleet Currency? ~

On a StarShip? I don't ever remember seeing anything about currency or money or coins or any rate of exchange on a starship, have you? How do they get paid? How do they buy things on a Starship? I know they use the replicators alot. How does that work exactly, anyone know?? :rolleyes:

from what I understand members of the federation like vulcan and earth don't have currency stated by picard in first contact but they all work for no money for the better of one another. Federation credits a person told me about but I am not sure, they are suppoused to be used when trading and buying from the freingi and stuff.

Ultimately these Federation "Credits" have to be redeemable for something tangible or they hold no value and the Ferengi wouldn't accept them. As an accountant I have an issue of having a "credit" without a corresponding "debit"

What is the value of a Federation Credit? What is it's purchasing power?

I don't remember hearing about any kind of currancy apart form credits, everything seems to be provided for within the Federation, mostly by replicators but i suppose when they want something hand made or unique from another planet outside the Federation then they must have to use latinum, how they obtain it I'm not sure. Probably through working for a non-Federation based company, providing services or mining it themselves.

You might recall in Encounter at Farpoint that Beverly Crusher bought some fabric and told them to charge it to her account.

Well, I'm sure that some people would have money that has been inherited. Maybe others will barter.

In the TOS episode "Mudd's Women" the dilithium miners worked for the Federation, but it was also stated that when they were done they'd be rich. So who knows?

The onlly currency I've ever heard of are credits.

278832[/snapback]

As I recall, that is the official currency of the United Federation of Planets. I'd imagine 1 Credit is like One Dollar, and in a sense, Starfleet Officers WOULD get paid in credits, because not every planet is like Earth. in fact, alot of them probably still have currency, and the Starfleet officers would need something to use.

I tried doing a little research on this last night. I found some documents, one of which I posted in Ten Foward, the "Constitution of the Federation of Planets", which led me to another doucument, which DID mention something about a "World Currency" which would be used. I tried to copy and print it, but had a problem. I'll try again now to copy and print it in this thread. It's quite lengthy. So here goes, I'll give it another try. B) B) brb

LATER......................

OK, Sorry, that was the third time I tried to copy it and each time my computer shut down on me. Must be some powerful document! B) :) Well, this is what it was or is: "The Constitution for the Federation of Earth". If anyone wants to try to copy it and bring it in here, go ahead. B) But as I said there was mention of a World Currency in it.

Edited by Jeanway

About half-way through that article Doc, the word "Communism" did pop into my head. :)

But Janeway mentioned how Tuvok hhad bought a lamp from a vulcan master who "saw our starfleet uniforms and doubled the price"

ok well there are many reasons why there is money and there is many reasons why there isn't.

Its very confusing.

I really never understood Starfleet economy to begin with, and its not explained very well.