Sign in to follow this  
deagletime

Can someone clear this up for me?

ok so here is what i gathered... Arik Soong is incarcerated for stealing augment embryos left over from the Eugenics War(late 1990's). And if I followed the episode correctly, Arik Soong was born in the 22nd century and is not himself a augment . He is a gifted scientist who tried to improve upon the embryos left over from the Eugenic wars.

Assuming I am correct so far, is it out of the realm of possiblity that Arik Soong is in fact a descendent from Khan Noonien Singh.. I know it is spelled differently, but it is a bit strange that the descendent of Arik Soong is named Noonien Soong, which is strikingly similiar to Noonien Singh. It also seems strange that there are so many parallels in name and the relationship with augment science. Further, it could explain Arik Soong's facination with augments and his undeniable intellect.

I don't believe this will be the case, Singh is an Indian name and Khan (In Space Seed) looked very much Indian (From India not American Indian). The Soong's don't appear of Indian descent at all.

From what I understand, when Gene Roddenberry created those two characters (Kahn and Data's creator), he had in mind a long-lost friend in mind. He made those names so that they'd be similar to his friend's name in the hopes that the friend would see this and get back in contact.

Of course, I may not be entirely accurate, on that score....

Apologies becasue this is very off topic but deagletime, where did you find that awesome avatar?

277238[/snapback]

as simple as it sounds i just did a google search for websites "star trek " then clicked the image button and narrowed to the search for gif files only

I do not think that there will be any genetic link between the two characters at all. The similarities in name and the people that they are associated with do not in any way indicate a family relationship.

From what I understand, when Gene Roddenberry created those two characters (Kahn and Data's creator), he had in mind a long-lost friend in mind. He made those names so that they'd be similar to his friend's name in the hopes that the friend would see this and get back in contact.

Of course, I may not be entirely accurate, on that score....

277078[/snapback]

You are correct wishfire. In the special features for season 5 of the TNG DVDs there is a tribute to Gene Roddenberry. During this feature, the similarity of the names of Noonien Soong and Kahn Noonien Singh was explained as wishfire described.