Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

[S] First Flight PRE/POST Thread

Here is the synopsis from Startrek.com for First Flight

Click for Spoiler:

Fifty hours of Enterprise are now in the can, as LeVar Burton takes the pilot's seat for production number 50, his second episode almost in a row.

Keith Carradine guest-stars in "First Flight," a story that owes a lot of its inspiration to "The Right Stuff," the 1983 movie about the original seven U.S. astronauts. The Enterprise crew discovers what appears to be a dark matter nebula, and just as they begin to investigate, Archer hears from Admiral Forrest that an old colleague of his, A.G. Robinson, died in an accident. During a shuttlepod mission into the nebula, a despondent Archer relates to T'Pol how he competed with Robinson for "first flight" — the attempt to break the Warp 2 barrier.

Most of the episode takes place in flashback, to the days of the NX Test Program when Archer was a commander, Forrest (Vaughn Armstrong) was a commodore, and Trip Tucker was a lieutenant working on the engineering team headed by Captain Jefferies (get it? — an homage to Matt Jefferies, who created the saucer-and-nacelle design of the original Starship Enterprise in the '60s). We will get to see some of the test vehicles post-Phoenix and pre-Enterprise, and the facilities those early warp pilots worked in. Plus... remember in "Shuttlepod One" when Trip and Malcolm talked about a little bar in Mill Valley where all the Starfleet trainees used to go, with a waitress that both guys had a thing for? Well, we'll get to visit the 602 Club and meet the beautiful Ruby.

Carradine plays A.G. Robinson, the cocky fly-boy intent on besting Archer for the historic Warp 2 flight. The statuesque Carradine is a popular actor in Hollywood with an extensive list of TV and movie credits (he's also a musician, and even earned an Oscar in 1976 for his song "I'm Easy"). He is the son of legendary horror movie actor John Carradine and half-brother of Kung Fu star David Carradine (Keith actually played a younger version of David's character on that show at times). For Armstrong, this was his most substantial gig yet in the Forrest character, working five of the seven shooting days.

Production on this episode started last Monday, March 10, with simple scenes inside the shuttlepod between Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock, as most of the other cast members were involved in second-unit photography on prior episodes including "Horizon" and "Regeneration." Day 2 of "First Flight" finished off the present-day scenes in the Bridge and Launch Bay, then the rest of the schedule took place in the past. A very impressive space capsule built next door in the wood shop served as the test craft, seen in the NX Hangar set. The cockpit of the craft was actually a separate set piece, which Carradine and Bakula took turns in, rigged to shake violently at times, and backdropped by a "greenscreen" where unusual warp effects will be optically inserted later. Other swing sets built include the 602 Club and NX Mission Control. Principal photography concluded yesterday.

Among the guest cast were three crewmen from the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Enterprise CVN 65 selected by the Navy as "Sailors of the Year." In what has become an annual tradition, these honorees came to Paramount to be a part of the Star Trek universe — but this year, instead of playing 22nd-century Enterprise crewmen, they will appear in the background of the NX Mission Control scenes as a Tech (James D. Frey), a Senator (Kathleen J. Grant) and a Senator's Aid (Thomas P. Hunt). Those scenes were shot Monday, March 17, and during the day the cast and crew took a break to let the sailors present Bakula, Burton and Connor Trinneer with a flag that flew over the carrier earlier this month, in gratitude for the support and encouragement the Enterprise team has given to the crew of the real U.S.S. Enterprise. (See related story and picture.)

Other guest actors in this episode include Trek veterans Michael Canavan as a Vulcan Advisor and Victor Bevine as a Flight Controller. Canavan played Maquis terrorist "Tamal" in "Defiant" (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) and "Curneth" in "Unforgettable" (Star Trek: Voyager). Bevine was the Bajoran "Belar" in "Things Past" (DS9), a Security Guard in "Pathfinder" (Voyager) and a Guard in "Star Trek: First Contact."

This is Burton's fourth Enterprise episode, but his second of the season, literally back-to-back. Burton started pre-production on this project concurrently with post-production on his prior one, number 48, "Cogenitor." Burton has experience directing milestone episodes — he was at the helm of Voyager's 100th, "Timeless." (If you want to get technical, this is actually the 49th episode, but the two-hour "Broken Bow" is counted twice.)

"First Flight" was written by John Shiban & Chris Black, and is tentatively scheduled to air May 14 on UPN.

when is first flight supposed to air? it sounds like its gonna be awsome, cant wait to see it. i cant beleive enterprise is on its 50th episode already. i saw you say somthing about levar burton, hes gonna be in this episode? or did i miss something?

First Flight and Bounty will be airing back to back on Wednesday on UPN.

LeVar Burton directed First Flight and Roxann Dawson directed Bounty. It's nice to have so many Trek alum directing episodes.

This episode sounds interesting, should give us some nice background on some characters, as well as star fleet itself.

I'm hoping it will also show us how Archer and Tucker's friendship developed. It would make sense for Jon to be thinking about that, as he and Trip are having problems.

cant wait to watch both of them, they look great, and im psyched to watch em. just watched regeneration again, and just bought, and watched FIRST CONTACT on dvd today as well.

OH YEAH. LONG LIVE STAR TREK. :bow:

Wednesday night is going to be a great night of TV!!!! I've already told my friends and family that I am not to be desturbed between the hours of 7pm-9pm wed.I've got the popcorn ready to pop!

I downloaded both episodes on Tuesday night so I'm about to warch them now before going to sleep. I'll try to be online for the Live chat this week.

Great Episode! I just finished First flight. I have a new episode to add to my list of Enterprise Favorites!

Click for Spoiler:

Cheater! You won't get any spiolers from me ;) It was just a really cool episode. It had a "Right Stuff" Feel to it. Awesome!

VaBeachGuy you are so cruel. Now I'm gonna have to chew my fingernails all afternoon to keep from clicking on your spoiler button. Evil, evil, VaBeachGuy! :devil:

What's even worse is that I'm going to see The Matrix tonight so I'll have to watch the shows after. I'll be up till 3:00. I'm really glad you liked it tho.

Where do you go to download the eps? And what software is needed? Can anyone do it, or do you have secret evil sources?

Click for Spoiler:

Cheater! You won't get any spiolers from me  ;) It was just a really cool episode. It had a "Right Stuff" Feel to it. Awesome!

;) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

just watched it

thought it was pretty weak to be honest.

Click for Spoiler:

i did like how they explained trips nickname and acher and trips friendship.

didnt like the episode though very much. 6/10

Please use the spoiler feature no matter how insignificant you feel the detail you are telling about. Thank you. A

Edited by Alterego

Now I have downloaded and watched First Flight..

I liked the episode but there was really nothing special about it, we got to know Archer a bit more but there really wasn't anything that made me think "Wow!"..

I rate it a 7/10 though, since all Enterprise episodes are good :D

What are your thoughts?

And don't forget to rate :look:

And don’t forget the spoiler feature no matter how insignificant you believe the detail you are talking about to be. :look:

VaBeachGuy you are so cruel.  Now I'm gonna have to chew my fingernails all afternoon to keep from clicking on your spoiler button.  Evil, evil, VaBeachGuy! :devil:

What's even worse is that I'm going to see The Matrix tonight so I'll have to watch the shows after.  I'll be up till 3:00.  I'm really glad you liked it tho.

Where do you go to download the eps?  And what software is needed?  Can anyone do it, or do you have secret evil sources?

LOL I didn't really give anything away in my spoiler.

I got it from a Bit Torrent site. http://www.bittorrentsites.co.nr/

All you need it the BitTorrent program.

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

first flight was excellent,

Click for Spoiler:

i enjoyed learning more backstory on how the nx-01 came to be. it wasnt action packed but was good.

for informative nature of show, and generally good show, ill give it a 8/10.

I enjoyed this episode more so then Bounty.

Click for Spoiler:

Getting to see Trip (Triple) meet Archer for the first time, to see Archer steal the ship and prove it would fly. I loved the "Right Stuff" feel they gave to the episode. Even giving mention to Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong (Buzz Aldrin was one of my favorite moon walkers)

i disagree it was special. as VBG said in the other thread,

Click for Spoiler:

getting to know the basis of the friendship between tripp (triple) and archer is great, and why hes called tripp. a bit of a rebelious side to archer comes out, and stays out. learn more about the origins of the nx-01, and how her captain became captain.

just allaround good. i gave it an 8/10, for being informative, and then some.

My opinion on Firstflight.

Click for Spoiler:

I liked this episode more so than the second. I loved seeing how Archer met Tripp and Tripp's explanation of his nicname. The retro looking craft the experimental engine was mounted on was cool. Robinson as a character had a lot of potential and I was sad that he died. He should have commanded NX-01

My opinion on Firstflight.

Click for Spoiler:

Robinson as a character had a lot of potential and I was sad that he died.  He should have commanded NX-01

Click for Spoiler:

no no no no archer is perfect for the job, not robinson. robinson was good for this episode, thats it.

I really enjoyed this episode too. I'd give it an 8.

Click for Spoiler:

I loved that look on Archer's face when T'Pol suggested naming the nebula after Robinson. Wonderful. I really like the special effects of the nebula after the last charges went off. That was beautiful.

I agree with everyone in finally finding out the story to Trip's nickname and see the first meeting between the two.

I also like this episode more than "Bounty." Good backhistory... 8 out of 10!

Click for Spoiler:

So Archer owes Trip his captains chair in an indirect fashion! Interesting. I liked Admiral Forrest's guest role and Robinson was cool too. To mention some more, the bar scenes and the launch of the second NX prototype were both awesome. This episode was an excellent tie-in to "Cogenitor" because it shows the depth of the Trip/Archer relationship. Very nice indeed. Did anyone notice how big those beer cups were? Where can I get one of those! :look:

Click for Spoiler:

I don't know what everyone elses problem is but I think this was a fantastic episode. One of the best I've seen. The backstory was great, the roller coaster type launcher was cool, the relationship between Robinson and Archer was interesting and it had a solid ending. Another reason I liked this episode is it had a different feel, it's something that just wouldn't be done on other Star Trek shows, which is part of what made it so enjoyable to me.

10/10!!

I really enjoyed this episode too.  I'd give it an 8.

Click for Spoiler:

I loved that look on Archer's face when T'Pol suggested naming the nebula after Robinson.  Wonderful.  I really like the special effects of the nebula after the last charges went off.  That was beautiful. 

I agree with everyone in finally finding out the story to Trip's nickname and see the first meeting between the two. 

I'd give it an 8.5

Click for Spoiler:

I agree that last scene about naming the nebula was very rich.

I loved the episode

Click for Spoiler:

The backstory was great. I just wonder if anyone ever guessed the names for the bartender's children, and did she make good on the agreement to marry the first person that did?