Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

When was Star Trek at its best?

When would you say Star Trek was at its best, the height of its power?

For me I am tempted to say that the first series was so fantastic that it could be considered being a great time. But for me the trilogy of ST2-ST4 was sci-fi at its best. They had plenty of action but also a deeper meaning which is perhaps where the most recent films have suffered.

I'm a big fan of DS9 now but it really didn't 'catch' my attention when it was first run..Like TM, I like the time of the trilogy ST II, III and IV..However the time I most remember and consider the best Trek times were of ST IV and the early years of TNG..It was announced shortly after ST IV was over that there would be a new Star Trek television series.. Very exciting in my opinion..And I thought the early TNG years were very good..

I have to say that for me, Trek was at its best from the fall of 89 to the winter of 91.

This period started off with TNG's 3rd season, including great eps such as "The Ensigns of Command", "Booby Trap", "The Vengeance Factor", "The Defector", "Yesterday's Enterprise" (my all-time favorite), "Captain's Holiday", "Tin Man", "Hollow Pursuits", "Sarek", "Menage a Troi", and "The Best of Both Worlds" pt 1.

Season 4 followed with "The Best of Both Worlds" pt 2, "Family", "Suddenly Human", "Legacy", "Reunion", "Future Imperfect", "Data's Day", "The Wounded", "Clues", "First Contact", "Night Terrors", "Qpid", "Half a Life", "The Mind's Eye", "In Theory", and "Redemption" pt 1.

The first half of season 5 in 91 included "Redemption" pt 2, "Darmok", "Ensign Ro", "Disaster", and "Unification" pts 1 and 2.

Just about a month after "Unification" in December of 91, Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country was released, which in my opinion is the best Trek film to date, closely followed by TWoK and FC.

Sorry to list all those episodes, but there were so many I enjoyed from that time period that I didn't want to leave them out.

Suffice to say, I think Trek from 89-91 was at the peak of its quality.

...Just whenever you thought Trek was at its best, whether it's a yr, several yrs, seasons, or a specific film(s) or series (right, TM?).

I think the best point came at the end of TNG's seventh season with Best of Both World's.

Culminated in an excellent episode (Part II) that contained a plot extremely creative and complex but easy to follow and understand, and great to watch. Very emotional ending and all that too.

Basically, what Star trek was all about, right in one episode.

Best time for me was when TSfS came out, everyone just knew Trek was back for good.

Next was when both TOS and TNG crews were on screens (TOS on the big screen, TNG on TV) at the same time.

Third best was when both TNG and DS9 were in production at the same time.

Just about a month after "Unification" in December of 91, Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country was released, which in my opinion is the best Trek film to date, closely followed by TWoK and FC.

Don't think so. Unification came out after The Undiscovered Country. It would have to since Spock references what happened in The Undiscovered Country in Unification. The idea behind Spock's "cowboy diplomacy" was that, after the events of The Undiscovered Country and his role in them, he didn't want his diplomatic actions to put others at risk.

And I know Unification didn't come out in 1991 because I saw it after I had moved in 1992.

Edited by lt_van_roy

Star Trek was at its best during the years between the cancellation of TOS and the start of TNG. The passion for the series that was displayed during those years will always outshine the apathy shown by most fans today.

Don't think so. Unification came out after The Undiscovered Country. It would have to since Spock references what happened in The Undiscovered Country in Unification. The idea behind Spock's "cowboy diplomacy" was that, after the events of The Undiscovered Country and his role in them, he didn't want his diplomatic actions to put others at risk.

And I know Unification didn't come out in 1991 because I saw it after I had moved in 1992.

275952[/snapback]

According to ST.COM Unification pt one aired 11/4/91 and pt two aired 11/11/91

ST6: TUC opened at theaters on 12/6/91

275952[/snapback]

According to ST.COM Unification pt one aired 11/4/91 and pt two aired 11/11/91

ST6: TUC opened at theaters on 12/6/91

275959[/snapback]

I was going off the ST.com dates that AE listed.

Personally i think St 2-4 were great Trek movies.The best that the Trek movies had to offer. but i think season 4-6 of TNG and DS9 1-3(haven't seen the rest yet blame spike)

Voy is good too watch not much substance though

and Enterprise you can forget it

I think the best point came at the end of TNG's seventh season with Best of Both World's.

275628[/snapback]

I think you mean All Good Things.

275949[/snapback]

Thanks Van Roy, I didn't even realize I'd done that.

Apologies to everybody, that was a juvenille error.

for me - the DS9 Dominion War was the best....it really honed home war but not on the front line all the time - life must go on...very relevant today