Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Only Child ~

Are Only Children Different From Children Who Have Siblings?

Research on intelligence, achievement, affiliation, popularity, and self-esteem suggests that many popular beliefs about the only child are unfounded (Falbo 1983b). The results of some of these investigations are briefly summarized below:

Intelligence

Although report findings conflict, only children, like first-borns, generally have been found to score slightly higher on measures of intelligence than younger siblings. Diverging results of intelligence research may be explained by focusing on factors within the family unit that affect intellectual development. Such experiences might include, for example, parents' provision of an "enriched" intellectual environment.

Achievement

As is the case for intelligence, achievement (both academic and other kinds) in only and first-born children appears to be slightly greater than for later-born children. To explain this phenomenon, theorists have considered the specific relationship between parents and children. Presumably, achievement motivation originates in the high standards for mature behavior that parents impose on their only and first-born children.

Affiliation

Some research indicates that only children may be slightly less affiliative than their peers. Specific research findings have shown that only children may belong to fewer organizations, have fewer friends, and lead a less intense social life. However, these investigations have additionally noted that only children have a comparable number of close friends, assume leadership positions in clubs, and feel satisfied and happy with their lives.

I'm number 6 of 7 children. I was the baby of the family for 9 years and then came my kid brother. My eldest brother is 9 years older than me so in effect there is 18 years between my oldest and youngest brothers ages.

My husband is an only child and though my father and mother-in-laws could of probably had more, Daniel was enough for the both of them. He is very opinionated, likeable, and seems to have friends all over. The funny thing is he's kind of shy and refers to my family as a mob and seems uncomfortable with several of my siblings, in-laws, nephews and niece.

I am the oldest out of 4. I am not sure about special relationship with parents, because my mother favor my sister. I alway felt I was the experment. The one who had higher standards to live than my sister and brothers.

I'm an only child and I like to be one. I dunno, I have never missed having a brother or a sister, I have always been glad that I was the only child. :)

Some of my friends have siblings, some don't... I have never noticed any differences :)

Odie, an almost universal complaint by the eldest child is that parents were stricter with them than younger siblings. I think parents wear out as they get more children - or they learn they don't have to take everything as seriously.

I'm the youngest but there were ten years between me and the next youngest so I was almost an only child because the others were so much older.

I wish I had had a sibling closer in age - but I was only 1 1/2 when my first nephew was born.

I always have this felling that only children are loners but are smarter.

And also while were on this, if a couple has more than one child is the first one usually the smartest?

Don't ask me why my older sister is a super genius while im in the B range for grades. But also she is female and my younger sister is smart and my little brother is mentally handicapped.

Odie, an almost universal complaint by the eldest child is that parents were stricter with them than younger siblings.  I think parents wear out as they get more children - or they learn they don't have to take everything as seriously.

I'm the youngest but there were ten years between me and the next youngest so I was almost an only child because the others were so much older. 

I wish I had had a sibling closer in age - but I was only 1 1/2 when my first nephew was born.

273787[/snapback]

I know now. I used to tell my parents, when they tell me I should set the example for my sister and brothers, that I didn't volunteer to be first born. That comment got me in deep trouble a lot. Mostly I would got grounded for 2 weeks.

I'm an only child. I'm also rather anti-social. Then again, the people who I call friend are some of the best people I've ever met. I'd rather have five of my friends than 100 of anyone elses.

Achievement

As is the case for intelligence, achievement (both academic and other kinds) in only and first-born children appears to be slightly greater than for later-born children. To explain this phenomenon, theorists have considered the specific relationship between parents and children. Presumably, achievement motivation originates in the high standards for mature behavior that parents impose on their only and first-born children.

I agree with that, I only have one child and forget sometimes that she is only four. Even my Mum tells me i can be too strict on her !!, i guess from the day i brought her home from the hospital i just wanted her to grow up being the best she can be in whatever she chooses to do. I need to relax sometimes and let her be a four year old.

Jeanway, personally, I agree with much of the research you presented which suggests that the personality and behavior of children depends on family environmental circumstances......I am not an only child. But my son is......I was the oldest of three.