Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

A question for German members

I have a question for our German members, what is the general feeling in Germany about Star Trek episodes that include Nazi's in their storyline from time to time? If you don't know the "general feeling" then what do you think of it?

I think that here in the United States we look at that storyline as a natural one for this kind of situation because of WWII, and of course the Germans are always portrayed as the "bad guys" because the stories are written by Americans. As a German fan do these stories offend you?

I'm not from Germany (my family is) but my girlfriend was born and raised there, so I brought the question to her. She says that she herself looks at it as nothing but entertainment. And since the Nazis are a part of the past, it has no effect whatsoever on her life. As far as her opinion on people's reactions over in Germany, she thinks that for the most part they be just a bit embarrassed.

Edited by wishfire

Well, I'm from Germany, and I was actually thinking about commenting this situation a couple of times. It may be a thing of the past, but I don't like to be constantly depicted as being a member of an "evil people". You know, when I was in school, Nazi Germany was one of our main topics in history class, and someday I just couldn't hear it anymore.

As far as I recall, there are no Hiroshima episodes. Or whatever. Maybe because Nazi Germany was seen as a real threat that continues to fascinate people, and Hiroshima wasn't? [At least some Russian and Czech guys I know claim so]

My initial reaction to this latest Enterprise episode was, "Not again!! Enough is enough!"

I hope it's not another "Patterns of Force". Living in Germany, I couldn't watch the episode as of yet. I hope it has some quality to it.

I basically agree with Sentra, I'm also sort of sick of being constantly reminded on our past. I mean, yes, it happened, and yes, it was more than just evil, but I didn't do anything, and if I could make it undone, I would, but I can't. :rolleyes:

"Patterns Of Force", for example, was never showed on TV here in Germany, many Trek fans haven't seen the episode and are waiting for it to come out on the 2nd TOS DVD box (it was released on video only).

When I heard the news about the latest ENTERPRISE episode containing Nazis, I also thought "Oh dear not again", but since I am not much interested in ENTERPRISE, it doesn't bother me that much. I can't see the episode here, and I don't know if I'll watch it when they show it here, but this has nothing to do with the content, it has to do with the fact that I dislike ENTERPRISE.

Anyways, I don't feel offended by such episodes, they only make me feel... somewhat uncomfortable, like this one Voyager episode with the Hirogen as Nazis did... :blink: