Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Screaming Chekov

Why is it that the movie writers decided to injure Chekov a lot?

In The Motion Picture, he gets his hand electrically burnt.

In The Wrath of Khan, he screams his his off as a Seti eel penetrates (rather forcefully and obviously painfully) his ear. (Amuzing fact, because of that scene Walter Koenig joked that the movie should be called Star Trek II: Chekov Screams Again.)

In The Voyage Home, he falls off the flight deck of the aircraft carrier Enterprise, which results in major brain hemmorages.

Why is it always Chekov? I can understand in TVH, russians weren't exactly friends of America at that time, but why could someone else get hurt in his place in the other two? Besides Spock getting shocked and then killed.

Any ideas?

Because Sulu was too important and cool as the navigator so he couldn't get injured.

Uhura is a woman and they can't show her being hurt.

Scotty was also too important and far too fat to do any stunts.

Bones, Kirk and Spock were the lead actors and had other things to do.

So it always fell to Chekov to suffer.

:laugh: :biggrin: :laugh:

Maybe Chekov was wearing a redshirt under his uniform. :biggrin: I remember he got the crap beat out of him way back in the 'Trouble With Tribbles' episode too. The guy was a walking disaster area.

270229[/snapback]

Scotty hit his head on a bulkhead in Fina Fronteir buut it was his own fault.

As for the Chekov idea, I'd be inclined to beleive it 100% if the policeman he asked where the naval yard was just started beating him with the police baton.

You guys are also forgtetting Sulu..

How many times was he injured...Surly as much as Chekov was

As for the Chekov idea, I'd be inclined to beleive it 100% if the policeman he asked where the naval yard was just started beating him with the police baton.

270304[/snapback]

"Where can I find the nuclear wessels?"

WHACK!

Normally if the writers need to add some tension by having someone get hurt, they will want to do it with out changing the plot too much which rules out Kirk, Spock (he just dies) or Bones. Checkov has that sort of stout heart but not always aware of the potential danger of a situation, hense he gets his tail whooped.

But in The Wrath of Khan, Chekov had been promoted to being first officer of the Reliant. He then went back to the Enterprise. Then it was Sulu who got his own command first. Shouldn't either (a) Chekov have gotten a command first, or (:angry: Sulu have gotten promoted to first officer of Reliant making him the one to scream in TWOK?

Sulu had out rank Chekov on the series and in the movies. There could be number of reasons why Sulu got his command before Chekov.

Sulu had out rank Chekov on the series and in the movies.  There could be number of reasons why Sulu got his command before Chekov.

271300[/snapback]

Then why did Chekov become a first officer before Sulu?

It just a position. If Star Fleet is close to the Navy they must have selection committee to place people in command. There are many events that happen in Chekov and Sulu's careers that we don't know about that might have caused Sulu to get command before Chekov. Remember in Generations Sulu had daughter that no fan, other than Chekov, knew about.

Edited by Odie

Possibly because Chekov had the most suitable backround. In TOS I seem to remember Chekov taking Spock's science position when Spock left the ship.

Since the Reliant's mission was science oriented Chekov would be a likely choice.

Another poosibility would be just other circumstances that we might not have known about, such as Demora Sulu, or maybe even just a preferance that one of the crew might have had. Sulu might have known that he would eventually leave the Enterprise and just wanted to get a few years of experiance with Kirk under his belt.

Odie, ussacclaim, and Captain Ericks, all very good responses. It tend to agree more with ussacclaim because that seems the most likely scenario. On the other hand, being First Officer, Chekov had more command experience. Not only on the Reliant, but also in ST V when he assumed command of the Enterprise when the landing party went to the surface of Nimbus III.

What you don't see that matters on TOS. Plus like everything else in life there is politics. Sulu might have been better at it than Chekov and got the command faster. Or maybe, higher-up held command back from Chekov by making somewhat responsible during Khan troubles. His CO and himself had lost a ship do to Khan. It not there fault completely, but someone had to take the blame of it.

They could have just as easily blamed Kirk for placing Kahn on Ceti Alpha V for two reasons. 1) Not giving him over to the authorities for several crimes like attempt to steal Federation property and assualt on Starfleet officers. 2)Not checking up on Kahn after the destruction of Ceti Alpha VI. Either of those two options would have prevented what had happened.

They could have, but they didn't. If Starfleet is any similar the US Navy and in many ways it is. Common sense has nothing to do with their decision. In the Navy we like to joke about common sense being against regs. For instance there is another uniform change. I have been in the Navy for 7 years and this is my 3rd change. It starting to get costly for me. :angry: To get back on topic.

1) Not giving him over to the authorities for several crimes like attempt to steal Federation property and assualt on Starfleet officers.
Good point. He must have informed Star Fleet about his decision and they must have liked it.

2)Not checking up on Kahn after the destruction of Ceti Alpha VI. Either of those two options would have prevented what had happened.

If Starfleet was aware that Khan was on the planet any ship in the sector could have checked-up on him. I get the feeling lots of people in the Federation just wants to forget about Khan and ignore their past. That could be the reason why Kirk and Starfleet never checked up on them.

They could have, but they didn't.  If Starfleet is any similar the US Navy and in many ways it is.  Common sense has nothing to do with their decision.  In the Navy we like to joke about common sense being against regs.  For instance there is another uniform change.  I have been in the Navy for 7 years and this is my 3rd change.  It starting to get costly for me.  :angry:  To get back on topic.

1) Not giving him over to the authorities for several crimes like attempt to steal Federation property and assualt on Starfleet officers.
Good point. He must have informed Star Fleet about his decision and they must have liked it.

2)Not checking up on Kahn after the destruction of Ceti Alpha VI. Either of those two options would have prevented what had happened.

If Starfleet was aware that Khan was on the planet any ship in the sector could have checked-up on him. I get the feeling lots of people in the Federation just wants to forget about Khan and ignore their past. That could be the reason why Kirk and Starfleet never checked up on them.

271437[/snapback]

Then maybe Starfleet or the Federation "accidently" destroyed Ceti Alpha VI in attempt to neutralize Kahn? After all, it was pretty soon after Kahn and his group were settled on Ceti Alpha V that CA VI exploded. Hmmm...

Good point, wishfire. I wonder if Section 31 has something to do about it and the reason why Chekov wasn't given a command.

Who knows if Section 31 was even around then? Maybe Starfleet Intelligence was just as ruthless as out CIA is rumored to be when it comes to covert/classified matters.

From what I understood from all the books on Section 31 it has been around at the very beginning of the Federation.

Here are the books:

Star Trek: Voyager: Section 31: Shadow

Click For Spoiler
{0489ECD3-7096-4766-BE0D-0A7CDCADA81C}Img100.jpg

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Section 31: Abyss

Click For Spoiler
{FEAF2B8B-3FA8-4268-BFDE-3D211F719363}Img100.jpg

Star Trek: The Original Series: Section 31: Cloak

Click For Spoiler
{BD469BC3-CFA7-4AFD-9A48-9195C72ABAA9}Img100.jpg

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Section 31: Rogue

Click For Spoiler
{16D7F4D0-E5E3-43F6-A0B4-6DC85696ADEB}Img100.jpg

Here are the books:

Star Trek: Voyager: Section 31: Shadow

Click For Spoiler
{0489ECD3-7096-4766-BE0D-0A7CDCADA81C}Img100.jpg

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Section 31: Abyss

Click For Spoiler
{FEAF2B8B-3FA8-4268-BFDE-3D211F719363}Img100.jpg

Star Trek: The Original Series: Section 31: Cloak

Click For Spoiler
{BD469BC3-CFA7-4AFD-9A48-9195C72ABAA9}Img100.jpg

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Section 31: Rogue

Click For Spoiler
{16D7F4D0-E5E3-43F6-A0B4-6DC85696ADEB}Img100.jpg

271466[/snapback]

I'll have to check them out. Know where I can find them?

Because Sulu was too important and cool as the navigator so he couldn't get injured.

Uhura is a woman and they can't show her being hurt.

Bones, Kirk and Spock were the lead actors and had other things to do.

So it always fell to Chekov to suffer.

:angry:  :lol:  :)

270229[/snapback]

Exactly

Another thought that just came to mind about Sulu getting command first. We know that Sulu sort of had a 'crush' you might say on the Excelsior. Maybe if Chekov wanted to stay on the Enterprise with Kirk (like I said in an earlier post), maybe Sulu just couldn't resist a shot at taking command.

Or maybe there were still some ruffled feathers from the incident where Kirk and the other sabotaged the Excelsior, and Checov wouldn't take command as a grudge...hmm...probably not but it's an interesting thought.