Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Your Immune System ~

Do you get a flu shot? Or a pneumonia shot?

Did you know 'mushrooms' are great for your immune system? :( There are alot of other foods that can help you not get sick too.

Do you wash your hands frequently?

What do you do to try to stay healthy?

There are things you should know about "Handles" Like:

Some of the worst culprits that can get you sick are:

Shopping cart handles. {Filthy}

Door knobs {UCK!}

Your steering wheel { :) }

Anything with a handle!!!!

Your keys!!!! {Nasty}

Railings

Things in public places that other people touch and then YOU touch. :P

Did you know cold and flu bacteria and viruses enter through your eyes, nose, mouth and skin. :) So keep your hands away from your face.

So 'THINK' about where your hands have been 'Before' you touch your face. Especially during the cold and flu season.

Since i already had a cold i get the point and am trying to also get rid of my cold by having enough coughdrops since i still cough more than i sneeze and maybe i should also try warm milk with Honey in it :P :) :( :) to get me strong again.

Drinking milk when your already phlegmy, will just make it more so. :) But, I

mean, do what you want. :) I have asthma, so I know what milk does to me, or ice cream, or hot chocolate. :( Especially when I have a cold. I sound like your mother, don't I? :) I sound like MY mother now too. :P :( Sorry. :(

Taking shots and pills for everything is the cause of the superbugs. You should allow your immune system to try and fight off infections itself, it will only strengthen your immune system. Of course if you're very ill or have an infection then take your medicine take what the doctor give you. To be honest the best advice for staying healthy during flu season is just to avoid coffee and tea as much as you can, if you get caught in the rain, dry off, it's all common sense. I'm not saying you're wrong Jeanway, true you should be careful, be hygenic, be clean of course I just think that you shouldn't be over cautious about it, it can lead to worse things than colds.

Matt. Being cold or wet doesn't make you sick. Bacteria and viruses do. I had pneumonia every year for 5 years in a row. It began with the flu, every year. My doctor suggested a flu AND a one time pneumonia shot for me, even though I was a young person. I took her advice, which I don't do usually, and got them. I haven't been sick since. Every year I got weaker and sicker. My immune system was in very bad shape. Since I started using these practices I mentioned above, I haven't been sick now for going on 6 years. Do me a favour. Go smell your keys. Smell good?? :P That's filth and bacteria. OH, and I don't take anti-biotics. I know all about Super-Bugs. Most colds and flus are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Anti-Biotics means "Against Bacteria". Viruses hit you like a truck. Bacterial infections slowly eat away at your health. I know the difference. :)

i heard UPN is picking up the cold and flu series, now in its 4 millionth plus season. But with the UPN treats programs no doubt the cold and flu season will finish early and be cancelled, and we'll never see or hear or feel it again.

i heard UPN is picking up the cold and flu series, now in its 4 millionth plus season.  But with the UPN treats programs no doubt the cold and flu season will finish early and be cancelled, and we'll never see or hear or feel it again.

267980[/snapback]

What? :P :)

i heard UPN is picking up the cold and flu series, now in its 4 millionth plus season.  But with the UPN treats programs no doubt the cold and flu season will finish early and be cancelled, and we'll never see or hear or feel it again.

267980[/snapback]

What? :) :(

267991[/snapback]

:P That's a good one trekzone :). Anyways, my immune system is pretty good, minus my allergies to pollen, ragweed, etc. I can't even remember the last time i had a shot for the flu nor the last time i got it, the worst i have been sick in the past few years was kinda puking 1 or 2 days, and i was only sick 3 days so that was pretty good for me.

Last year my family all got a flu shot (except for me, of course, they were really iritated about me saying no to getting one too :( ), and you know what? They were the only ones to get sick, and i was just fine, so go ahead and tell me i'm better off getting one, i won't listen :).

267980[/snapback]

What? :P :(

267991[/snapback]

LMAO! :) That is very good! All kidding a side. I get a flu shot every year. :doctor: I have no choice in getting it. :)

Only in here would a serious discussion about your health turn into this :( :) I'm glad you two think this is funny................NOT!!! :P

Usually people get the shot and then shortly thereafter they get SICK. That's because they were exposed to something around the same time they got the shot and that OTHER thing is making them sick, NOT the Flu Shot. It's happened to me. But it wasn't the Flu, it was a cold. The flu shot contain DEAD VIRUS. It CAN'T make you sick. The fact that you got sick right after you got the shot was just a coincidence. The DEAD virus can't make you sick. It tricks your immune system into thinking you already had the virus and your immune system produces Anti-Bodies to that particular virus. I believe there are 3 different strains in the shot. The CDC in Atlanta does a world-wide study to determine, each year, the most prevalent form that is circulating the world. They put the 3 top ones in the flu shot.

Edited by Jeanway

I have been getting the flu shot for the last 6 years. I am about to get another one this year. Jeanway, it was just a joke about UPN not about the issue.

Edited by Odie

I've already had the stomach flu go thru my house. :P I drink lots of OJ and wash my hands constantly during this season. I even carried around a bottle of Lysol when everyone else caught it and thought I had beatin it but was the last one to get sick.

I haven't had that in a while, Airies. Let me ask you this. Just BEFORE you hurled. Did the room spin around? :) :P That really s*cks. :tongue_ss:

I haven't had that in a while, Airies. Let me ask you this. Just BEFORE you hurled. Did the room spin around? :(  :) That really s*cks. :tongue_ss:

268083[/snapback]

Actually it spun after I barfed. I'm what I call a power puker! It takes all my energy to throw up and makes me very weak. I have even passed out from it and woke up in my own vile! Nice huh? :P My wife on the other hand just opens her mouth and everything slides right out. She doesn't know how good she's got it. Anybody hungry for leftovers? :)

Edited by Airies

I haven't had that in a while, Airies. Let me ask you this. Just BEFORE you hurled. Did the room spin around? :(  :) That really s*cks. :tongue_ss:

268083[/snapback]

Actually it spun after I barfed. I'm what I call a power puker! It takes all my energy to throw up and makes me very weak. I have even passed out from it and woke up in my own vile! Nice huh? :P My wife on the other hand just opens her mouth and everything slides right out. She doesn't know how good she's got it. Anybody hungry for leftovers? :(

268085[/snapback]

Wonderful visuals, Airies. :)

The Flu

Alternate Names : Flu, Influenza A, Influenza B, Influenza C

Definition

The flu is a contagious infection of the nose, throat, and lungs caused by the influenza virus.

The flu usually begins abruptly, with a fever between 102 to 106 degrees (with adults on the lower end of the spectrum). Other common symptoms include a flushed face, body aches, and lack of energy. Some people have symptoms such as dizziness or vomiting. The fever usually lasts for a day or two, but can last five days.

Somewhere between day 2 and day 4 of the illness, the "whole body" symptoms begin to subside, and respiratory symptoms begin to increase. The virus can settle anywhere in the respiratory tract, producing symptoms of a cold, croup, sore throat, bronchiolitis, ear infection, or pneumonia.

The most prominent of the respiratory symptoms is usually a dry, hacking cough. Most people also develop a sore (red) throat and a headache. Nasal discharge and sneezing are common. These symptoms (except the cough) usually disappear within 4-7 days. Sometimes there is a second wave of fever at this time. The cough and tiredness usually last for weeks after the rest of the illness is over.

The most common way to catch the flu is by inhaling droplets from coughs or sneezes. Less often, it is spread when you touch a surface such as a faucet handle or phone that has the virus on it, and then touch your own mouth, nose, or eyes.

Symptoms appear 1-7 days later (usually with 2-3 days). Because the flu is airborne and very contagious, with a short incubation period, it often slams into a community all at once. This creates a cluster of school and work absences. The flu usually arrives in the winter months. Within 2 or 3 weeks of its arrival in a school, much of the classroom has had it.

Tens of millions of people in the United States get the flu each year. Most recover within a week or two, but about 114,000 people each year get sick enough to be hospitalized, and about 36,000 people die each year from the flu.

Anyone at any age can have serious complications from the flu, but those at highest risk include:

People over 50 years of age

Children aged 6 to 23 months

Women more than 3 months pregnant during the flu season

Anyone living in a long-term care facility or institution

Anyone with chronic heart, lung, or kidney conditions, diabetes, or weakened immune system

Sometimes people confuse cold and flu, because they share some of the same symptoms and occur at the same time of the year (cold and flu season). However, the two diseases are very different. Most people get a cold several times each year, and the flu only once every several years.

{ THIS ONE'S FOR YOU AIRIES :) :P }------->>>>People often use the term "stomach flu" to describe a viral illness where vomiting or diarrhea are the main symptoms. This is something of a myth. Influenza infections are primarily respiratory infections, and may have other symptoms as well.

268083[/snapback]

Actually it spun after I barfed. I'm what I call a power puker! It takes all my energy to throw up and makes me very weak. I have even passed out from it and woke up in my own vile! Nice huh? :P My wife on the other hand just opens her mouth and everything slides right out. She doesn't know how good she's got it. Anybody hungry for leftovers? :)

268085[/snapback]

Wonderful visuals, Airies. :(

268088[/snapback]

Thanks Odie I knew someone would like them! :( My wife always said I had a "sick" sense of humor. :)

I haven't had that in a while, Airies. Let me ask you this. Just BEFORE you hurled. Did the room spin around?  That really s*cks.

268083[/snapback]

Actually it spun after I barfed. I'm what I call a power puker! It takes all my energy to throw up and makes me very weak. I have even passed out from it and woke up in my own vile! Nice huh? My wife on the other hand just opens her mouth and everything slides right out. She doesn't know how good she's got it. Anybody hungry for leftovers?

268085[/snapback]

Wonderful visuals, Airies.

268088[/snapback]

I'll say :( Tell me Airies ,I never heard anyone describe it in such a way. So can we classify ourselves as, Hmm, let's see..........................

Power?

Sliders?

Wretchers?

I'm sort of a

Thruster :) Not only do I spew for distance, but also for accuracy :) :(

Explosive?

Volcanic?? :) :)

Percolator?

OH this is so bad :P :( But I like it. B) B)

OH Yes, I know what your talking about. Now just think of this "The Triple Threat" :) :) I'll tell ya, there is Nothing like that. B) B) You KNOW you CAN'T go anywhere. :) :( It's got ya coming and going. :( :)

Now, go eat lunch! :( :P And try not to get too many visuals on this.

Edited by Jeanway

I think I'd have to classify myself as a Percolater/Wretcher. When I get sick it kind churns around for a while, building up until I finally heave and heave for several minutes. After everythings out there's usually a few dry heaves just for that extra oomph. I always check afterwards, just in case my spleen got hurled out by mistake. Fortunately I don't throw up that often.

A few times I have caught a glimpse of the 'spillage' and thought. "Well I'll be d***ed. I don't remember eating that." :P

^

^

^ This is Sooo Bad :) :P :( I know what your talking about :) Mmm, a whole orange!!! :( B) How'd THAT happen???? :) :( :)

I just came back from lunch and read this again and now I'm not feeling so well. :P Don't read any of these posts before me if you just ate something!

The fact that you got sick right after you got the shot was just a coincidence. The DEAD virus can't make you sick.

268047[/snapback]

Jeanway, as George Noory of Coast to Coast AM says, "There's no such thing as coincidences." :laugh: