Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Happy Anniversary England

I would have posted this yesterday, since that was the actual anniversary, but I was a little too busy. 938 years ago yesterday, England became Norman. The Norman Invasion of 1066, which was won, by the way, because of a small innovation in the way calvery men rode horses. The invention of the stirrup. This is not to say that the invasion would have failed without it but it was a huge step forward in warfare technology at the time and gave the Norman horsemen a distinct advantage over their opponents. Up until that time, men rode horses without any leg support. To anyone who does ride horses, I'm sure you can see the advantage of having stirrups when riding to not having them. Balance is decidedly enhanced which is extremely usefull when swinging a sword. So Happy Birthday England. This was the day you became the country we all know today.

Well, congratualtions, I suppose. But to be honest, didn't England exist before the Normans? What about the Saxons? I seem to remember the Saxons. But then, maybe that is because of the Robin Hood tales.....

I just thought England was older.

England Existed in a fragmented form until the romans invaded this would be around the second or third century AD the saxons then invade/were invited by the celtic/roman brits as were the Angles (Danes) then Came the Normans, who brought about revolutionised building practices and innovations. The Normans however at that part were part of britain. It issaid now that certain parts of England who speak old Gaelic can speak well with people of Normandy (from whence we get the name Norman) as their version of french is heavily based on Gaelic as well as Latin.

All in all this history lesson shows that England existed a lot longer than 938 years but a lot closer to over 1000. Under Celtic tribalism, England was actually a fracture kingdom of warlords, which in turn became feudle and then capitalist with the British Civil wars of 1632 -37

Congrats! Its time for me to get some English Tea and have it with milk.

I live in holland but i am proud to call myself ENGLISH!!!!!!....btw not all english drink tea with milk...i cant stand it :) ..but i love my frys covered in salt and vinager and wrapped in a news paper thats real english :P

I live in holland but i am proud to call myself ENGLISH!!!!!!....btw not all english drink tea with milk...i cant stand it :) ..but i love my frys covered in salt and vinager and wrapped in a news paper thats real english :(

267735[/snapback]

I sometimes drink my tea with milk. I really love my frys covered in salt and vinager. :P It is very popular in Buffalo. :)

Well congrats England. I have to admit you all have me on the history thing. But growing up in American schools when I did the history books kinda skip everything from the beginning of time till Columbus. :) Seriously I always thought they should teach more World history and Native American History. After all they really did discover America!

Happy Birthday England! :P

Well, congratualtions, I suppose. But to be honest, didn't England exist before the Normans?

I probably should have been more clear. Yes, England did exist before the Norman conquests, as pointed out in a subsequent post. The 1066 date, the Norman invasion, is pretty much the accepted date of the beginnings of the rise of English supremacy and the beginnings of the unification of England itself. Although history has shown that to be a centuries long process. The anniversary is much along the same lines as Americans accepting the date of July 4th as the beginnings of the United States even though we all know that America existed long before that date and the beginnings of the American system of self governance was established back as far as the late 17th century when colonies, such as Virginia, established the House of Burgesses as one of the first forms of a democratic congress. In any case, the Norman invasion of 1066 is pretty much the accepted date of the beginnings of England rise to becoming a world power.

I am very proud to be English, therefore hate stereotypes;

Now lets raise our tea glasses to the queen mum and play a jolly good game of crikit and after that eat some nice crumpets!

Not everyone likes tea, tea is usually drank in a mug, some hate the royals, and i've never played cricket or used the word 'jolly' in my life.

Bet you all think we sound posh too, not-at-all.

I blame p*** take media.

Examples of local English;

Wah = unlimeted meanings..

Innit = Isn't it

A = Hey

Dead = Very

Ate = Hate

Der = There

R = Are/Our

D = The

N = And

Dat = That