Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Wardrobe Malfuntion ~

I didn't make this up. :)

CBS stations fined $550,000 for "Wardrobe Malfunction"

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal regulators on Wednesday fined CBS a record $550,000 for Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction," which exposed the singer's breast during this year's Super Bowl halftime show.

Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake just before the expensive over-exposure.

David Phillip, AP

The Federal Communications Commission voted unanimously to slap each of the 20 CBS-owned television stations with the maximum indecency penalty of $27,500. The total penalty of $550,000 is the largest fine levied against a television broadcaster. Most of the FCC's bigger fines have been against radio stations.

"As countless families gathered around the television to watch one of our nation's most celebrated events, they were rudely greeted with a halftime show stunt more fitting of a burlesque show," said FCC Chairman Michael Powell. "The show, clearly intended to push the limits of prime time television."

The commission decided not to fine CBS' more than 200 affiliate stations, which also aired the show but are not owned by the network's parent company, Viacom.

The two Democrats on the 5-member commission said the fine should have been higher. Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said the fine amounted to a "slap on the wrist" and suggested that the agency could have sent a stronger message about indecency by reprimanding CBS' affiliates as well.

MTV, a Viacom subsidiary (VIA), produced the Feb. 1 halftime show, which featured Jackson and singer Justin Timberlake performing a racy duet. At the end, Timberlake ripped off a piece of Jackson's black leather top, exposing her right breast to a TV audience of about 90 million.

Timberlake blamed a "wardrobe malfunction," and CBS was quick to apologize to viewers. The breast-baring song generated a record number of complaints to the FCC — more than 500,000.

CBS said it was extremely disappointed with the decision.

"While we regret that the incident occurred and have apologized to our viewers, we continue to believe that nothing in the Super Bowl broadcast violated indecency laws," the network said in a statement. "Furthermore, our investigation proved that no one in our company had any advance knowledge about the incident."

Viacom has said it will fight any fines leveled against its stations for the Jackson performance. Over the summer, Viacom co-president Leslie Moonves said a fine would be "grossly unfair" and promised a court challenge.

Federal law bars radio and non-cable television stations from airing references to sexual and excretory functions between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children may be tuning in. Once a complaint is made to the FCC, the agency determines whether the broadcast was indecent.

Within days of the Jackson incident, lawmakers on Capitol Hill began grumbling about smut on TV, and both houses passed legislation — still pending in Congress — that would raise indecency fines. The House has voted to raise the maximum indecency fine to $500,000. The Senate voted to increase the top fine to $275,000 per indecent incident, with a cap of $3 million per day.

The FCC launched a crackdown on indecency soon after the Super Bowl, resulting in several high-profile fines. Among them: a $755,000 fine against Clear Channel for graphic drug and sex talk on a Bubba the Love Sponge radio program and a record $1.75 million fine, also against Clear Channel, for indecency complaints against Howard Stern and other radio personalities.

Television networks also began taking pre-emptive action by implementing broadcast delays so censors could scrub anything deemed too racy. CBS, for example, aired the Grammy awards ceremony a week after the Super Bowl with a five-minute delay. More recently, the NFL kicked off its season with a live, pregame show on ABC that was aired with a 10-second delay

:) <------This smiley is me when I try to figure out what the big deal over this is. It was just a boob.

Hey. Is it still technically a Live broadcast if it has a 10 second delay? I'd like to see a Live broadcast that has a 10 second preview. Now that would be something. :)

I am so sick of hearing about the most over exposed moment in TV

i think its both thier fault and should face harsh punishement

So thats all i have to say about that

I have NO idea what all the commotion is about either. It wasn't that interesting to me at all. I've seen better. :) I mean she is an exibitionist so what is the problem.? People wanted a show, they got a show. :) Make Timberlake pay.

He did it.

I really don't understand why everyone over reacted. CBS, if they are to believe, couldn't control what Jackson and Timberlake did on stage. It would seem that they kept what they where going to a secret. They should pay the fine that FCC has imposed on CBS.

I think that wardrobe malfunction could use a transporter malfunction... because I'm sick of hearing about it.  :)

265752[/snapback]

:) I know.

What a time for the "Instant Replays" to stop working. Where was John Madden with that light pen when we needed him? :)

What I think is odd is Viacom is fighting this for SHOWING a breast but doing nothing to defend the Howard Stern radio show for SAYING breast.

I think it was velcro... I could not believe it happened here in Houston... :lol:

BTW I have a friend who sang in the Houston Children's Chorus. They sang at the super bowl. she told me that the whole thing was lip-synched!!! They even lip-synched the National anthem!!!!

Edited by WEAREBORG4102

Thats because its a great big staduim so they have to lip sing because thier vioces don't carry as well

I've sung in a stadium. That's not true. You actually can sing in one. You don't have to lip synch.