Sign in to follow this  
deagletime

VBG WHAT WERE U THINKING?

Its not what u think I love the site and ive got some questions for you if thats ok? any maybe some other people could interject some other good questions...

1. Was it ST.com that made you think of starting this site? (ST.com forums...how can i say this tactfully....suck)

2. Did you design this site all by yourself? In other words..do you have expertise in webpage design?

3. What do you do for a living ?

4. I dont see any banners so do u need help generating income to keep this site alive?

5. Has anyone from paramount came at you for licensing and copyright infringment stuff???

Lastly,

6. Do you ever sleep? lol

I hope i didnt overstep my bounds by posting this ... id hate to get demoted to crewman and have to scrub plasma conduits for the rest of my life

1. Was it ST.com that made you think of starting this site? (ST.com forums...how can i say this tactfully....suck)

My original plan was for a message board devoted to another passion of mine, the country music group Alabama. Shortly after starting it I added a few "off topic" boards including a Star Trek forum. Things just kind of took off from there and here we are today almost 3 months later.

2. Did you design this site all by yourself? In other words..do you have expertise in webpage design?

The basics of the site like the Smilies, the text area and basic design are built into the software we are using. The software code was designed by Invision and I've purchased their services for this board. The skins are the parts that I am designing myself. The first Trekkie skin was created by someone else that allowed me to use it. The more recent skins are skins that I have adapted myself and in the case of the skin with the Starfield background I have designed. I'm going to continue to make different Star Trek themes for our skins so there will be many different options to pick from.

I have been designing and building webpages for several years now but not professionally. It's more of a hobby. I enjoy creating something that others can enjoy.

3. What do you do for a living ?

I'm a Credit Card Fraud investigator/analyst for Bank of America. It's an interesting job, very interesting at times in fact. A couple of things I've worked on that may be of interest to you, I'm sure everyone remembers the Sniper case in the Washington D.C. area last year. As you may recall the snipers in the end had demanded $10,000,000.00 be put into a credit card account for their sole use. The credit card just happened to be a Bank of America card and the FBI called to inquire about the account. When they called they got through to my desk, so I assisted the FBI with information reguarding the credit card in question. All this took place on a Sunday afternoon. The following Wed the police released the name of the man they were looking for and on Thursday they arrested him and the 17 year old. So now, I jokingly take full credit for solving the Sniper case lol. The other case that was interesting was helping the producer of the TV show COPS. It seems he is one of millions of people that have had their identity stolen.

4. I dont see any banners so do u need help generating income to keep this site alive?

There aren't any banners or pop-ups because I hate those things when I surf the internet myself. They may be great ways to generate income but that's not my purpose in creating this site. This site is my way of sharing my love of Star Trek with everyone else that has that same love and happens to come across the board. I do have to pay for the site's hosting service, the domain name and other services from Invision but so far it isn't too much and I don't mind footing the bill. THe enjoyment I get from seeing everyone else enjoy the site more then pays me back for the money I spend to keep the site going.

5. Has anyone from paramount came at you for licensing and copyright infringment stuff???

No, I doubt a small fan site that is not selling anything or trying to generate money in anyway would cause much concern for TPTB. No one has contacted me and if they did I would work with them to take care of any concerns they may have. In the long run sites like ours is more helpful to Star Trek then hurtful and I believe they understand that.

6. Do you ever sleep? lol

LOL Yes actually I do. My work schedule (When I work my normal schedule) is 4pm to 12am eastern. So you likely see me on here at all hours of the night. I generally sleep about 6 hours a day though, and every singel day before going to bed I watch at least 1 episode of Star Trek. It doesn't matter which series, but I watch at least 1 episode. Many times you will be able to tell which episode I watched the night before by the Episode Spotlight I put up lol.

Feel free to ask any other questions at all.

My original plan was for a message board devoted to another passion of mine, the country music group Alabama.

I love Alabama!! :bow:

VBG: I must say I really admire what you have done, the site is great and most surely the one that I spend most time on when I'm surfing!

My original plan was for a message board devoted to another passion of mine, the country music group Alabama.

I love Alabama!! :D

My neighbor bought me Gold Circle tickets to the Farewell concert in Virginia Beach for August 23rd.

(Gold circle is the Red sections)

seat-01.gif

I haven't seen them in concert since 1985 and now I get to see their last tour.

So be fore warned, the night of August 23rd I won't be online... :wow:

My neighbor bought me Gold Circle tickets to the Farewell concert in Virginia Beach for August 23rd.

I haven't seen them in concert since 1985 and now I get to see their last tour.

So be fore warned, the night of August 23rd I won't be online...  :D

I want to go to the farewell concert!!!!!!! Bellow.gif

Nobody, and I mean nobody I know likes Alabama. :wow: I don't want to go all alone.

I love Alabama!! :look:

I am treating my father, aunt, and a friend of mine and her mother to sixth row seats to the concert on the tour here in Columbus, Oh in July or is it June, I better check the tickets but I am pretty sure it is July. My dad's birthday was in May so I told him to pick anything he wanted to do and we would do it, and the concert is what he chose, he has been even more excited since I got his sister a ticket as well. It will be the first time that the two of them have been able to get together to go out and do something that was not a family reunion. And anything that makes my Dad smile is great with me.

Since we are coming up in 40,000 posts and today is our 4 month birthday I thought I'd bump this posting since it answers some of the basics about how the board started.

I too, was wondering if you ever slept. We are over 20 hours in front of you, but you are on when I come on, and still on when it's my teatime. :lol:

There aren't any banners or pop-ups because I hate those things when I surf the internet myself. They may be great ways to generate income but that's not my purpose in creating this site. This site is my way of sharing my love of Star Trek with everyone else that has that same love and happens to come across the board. I do have to pay for the site's hosting service, the domain name and other services from Invision but so far it isn't too much and I don't mind footing the bill. THe enjoyment I get from seeing everyone else enjoy the site more then pays me back for the money I spend to keep the site going.

Would you at one point in the future need some cash? I'm sure we'd all be happy to help.

wow. ive never seen this topic before, but i do say, you are one interesting person vabeachguy. lol.

thank you so much for this amazing opportunity to post on the most friendly star trek site in the world! :laugh:

I think this website is just wonderful. :)

I have another question for VBG: What's the secret of the success behind these forums? Mine have been running for nearly one year, but they're not nearly as active as these!

I very much enjoyed reading this post. This is a very enjoyable Star Trek site. I've been trying to place my finger on what is so different about this site..Part of it is the lack of pop ups and banners. That certainly is wonderful. :lol: I was reconmended this site by someone at another Trek message board. This one is much, much better..Thank you so much..

VBG,

This is a wonderful message board. I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's posts. I like all the features you have on it are wonderful. I also like the ranks for the number of posts made. I'm sure it has encouraged many people to post numerous times so they can receive a promotion.

What I love most about this board is the friendly atmosphere on the board. Many of the posts are intelligent and insightful. Others are humorous and witty. Still others are helpful. People feel free to express their opinions on subjects without fear of being ridiculed. They discuss their differences -- they don't argue or bash.

VBG, you have done a wonderful job with this board, and have done a great service to all of Trekdom!

Live long and prosper!

Q’plagh!

:lol: B) :P ;) B)

I think this website is just wonderful. :lol:

I have another question for VBG: What's the secret of the success behind these forums? Mine have been running for nearly one year, but they're not nearly as active as these!

The secret of our success?

The obvious answer would be our great members. I could have made this massage board, put all of the work and time into it but if no one came and posted it would be nothing. So I give all the credit to the membership of the board.

VBG,

This is a wonderful message board.  I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's posts.  I like all the features you have on it are wonderful.  I also like the ranks for the number of posts made.  I'm sure it has encouraged many people to post numerous times so they can receive a promotion.

What I love most about this board is the friendly atmosphere on the board.  Many of the posts are intelligent and insightful.  Others are humorous and witty.  Still others are helpful.  People feel free to express their opinions on subjects without fear of being ridiculed.  They discuss their differences -- they don't argue or bash. 

VBG, you have done a wonderful job with this board, and have done a great service to all of Trekdom!

Live long and prosper!

Q’plagh!

;)  B)  :lol:  B)  :P

Thank you very much, I have strived (as have the Mods and all the other members) to help STF.NET become a strong community. That was one of my main goals. Other boards are filled with bickering, hate and ridicule and that's what I wanted to get away from.

So I thank all of you for helping give us all a great place to discuss anything we want to.