Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

The "Other" users

I notice some of the users on the board that are not underlined like googlebot, MSN, hotspider, and what have you. Are they like the security features of the board, to pm someone if they had a warning, or say their avatar is too big? If not, than who are they?

They're search engine spiders. Explination of spiders below. :)

2. If it's impossible to examine all the documents on the Web, how do the search engines do it?

They use software programs known as robots, spiders or crawlers. A robot is a piece of software that automatically follows hyperlinks from one document to the next around the Web. When a robot discovers a new site, it sends information back to its main site to be indexed. Because Web documents are one of the least static forms of publishing (i.e., they change a lot), robots also update previously catalogued sites. How quickly and comprehensively they carry out these tasks varies from one search engine to the next.

The Spider's Apprentice

Yep those are the Spiders, they help bring guests and new members so the Spiders are our friends.

In fact just ask RC about those Flying Spiders... :)

In fact just ask RC about those Flying Spiders...  :)

256144[/snapback]

*shudders uncontrollably* *THWACK THWACK THWACK* :laugh:

VBG - how'd you do that with the Spiders? On my board, I can't find any way of making the spider log-in to correspond to a certain name, especially as the IPs of the bots vary.

VBG - how'd you do that with the Spiders? On my board, I can't find any way of making the spider log-in to correspond to a certain name, especially as the IPs of the bots vary.

257346[/snapback]

What software are you using?

What flying spiders??? I thought it was flying monkeys?

But anyways what are these flying spiders RC??? *puts up the anti thwacking sheild of power*