Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

If You Were Given Command of the Kobayashi Maru...

Just curious.... What would you do if you were given command of the Kobayashi Maru, and it was too late to turn back? :hammer:

And how would you react and what would you do or try to do?

Click For Spoiler
09122002105059.jpg
lastresort.jpg42.gif Edited by drwho42

I probably would've handled it the same way Saavik did... and gotten blown up. Although, I think I would've figured it as a trap a bit sooner and taken some quicker action with my warp engines! (ie- get outta dodge) :hammer:

"Klingons don't take prisoners" so the shuttle pods would have been useless. I would have set the auto-destruct on silet count and then surrenderd the ship. For one it would have saved all my crews lives maybe from being beaten to death for info on Starfleet and it would have kept my vessel out of enemys hands.

^What would you have done doc?

253261[/snapback]

Hmmm, not sure... Maybe summon Q up, and ask him for some help.... He'd probably ask for a price though, doubtful it would be my soul though... :laugh:

Maybe use the good ol' Corbomite Maneuver? :hammer: Unless that has gotten through to the Klingon Empire since Kirk did it with Balok... :laugh:

If all else fails, I'd might use the self-destruct sequence, or maybe smuggle the crew using the cargo containers (masking their heat-signatures and what-not), when the Klingons board our vessel...

Different possibilities for this situation. :cool1:

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

Hmm...Corbomite Maneuver ehh? I forgot about that one. Do you think the Klingons would fall for a bluff. Worf did sometimes, but then again he was raised by humans. The Q idea is good however his answer might be to send you back in time 100 years or send you half way across the univers for fun. You never know with him. Him/Her? Is there a Q gender? Might be a good new topic question to start.

Hmm...Corbomite Maneuver ehh? I forgot about that one. Do you think the Klingons would fall for a bluff. Worf did sometimes, but then again he was raised by humans. The Q idea is good however his answer might be to send you back in time 100 years or send you half way across the univers for fun. You never know with him. Him/Her? Is there a Q gender? Might be a good new topic question to start.

253284[/snapback]

Hmmmmm, the Klingons might fall for it... Perhaps this cargo freighter is carrying volatile explosives. :hammer:

Hmmmm, there really isn't a Q Continuum gender...

They can take on any form they'd wish, usually they choose an Earther-look when they encounter the Federation... Usually...

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

i guess i would have gone in all weapons firing...full spread of photon torpedoes omega patter one..and then a quick escape pattern kirk epsilon..and then back to the bar for a cold one...lol

One rule of combat I learned is this: IYAC, YAT. that means If You Ain't Cheatin', You Ain't Tryin! Combat, even something in the 23rd Century, should never be a fair contest. do what it takes to turn the odds in your favor, even if it means cheating.

I'd prolly fire everything I've got and use the Nemesis Maneuver - ram them while I still have warp. It prolly is also a good day to die.

You guys are forgetting one key point. The Kobayashi Maru was a freighter, not a battleship. It didn't have weapons or high-speed warp or high maneuverability or anything like that, and I doubt it had a self-destruct either.

Now if I was Captain of the Enterprise, however, I would have gone into the Neutral Zone, waited for the Klingons to attack, "flee" at a speed slightly slower than them, and when they were upon me I would go to all-stop and let them fly right by me. Then I would have time to beam the Maru survivors aboard and get the heck out of there.

Van roy is right... I have to agree with you there... but it sounds very much like some move I saw Tom Cruise did in Top Gun.

Van roy is right... I have to agree with you there... but it sounds very much like some move I saw Tom Cruise did in Top Gun.

255381[/snapback]

LMAO your right krysis,i think it was mavrick who says "i am going to hit the breaks and he will fly right by" :)

:tomcat:

If I remember correctly, the "Kobayashi Maru" simulation involved RESCUING the Kobayashi Maru (which IS a freighter), not flying it. I believe the craft being flown was a Startfleet vessel (Constitution class?). I think the dialog in STII verifies this.

Of course, DrWho's question inquired as to our actions if we were given command of the Kobayashi Maru, not what would we do in the simulation.

Good point nik, however the Maru was a fictional ship made up by the Klingons in a simulation in order to lure a Federation ship into the neutral zone. So, we will have to ask the good doctor next time we see him to clarify.

Was it indeed fictional? In STII, the vessel identified itself as the Kobayashi Maru. After that, the crew in the simulation was able to access data files on it, indicating that - at least as far as the simulation was concerned - the ship "existed."

The question is: What would you do if you were commanding the Kobayashi Maru? Not running the simulation.

We could make a thread about how would you rescue the Kobayashi Maru here, but this one involves being the captain of it.

I think the Maru would have some weapons, just as the E.C.S. Horizon did on Star Trek: Enterprise, but not good ones and mostly for getting rid of asteroids to big... Hehe, Asteroids. :laugh:

This thread assumes that the freighter actually exists... Although I remember the Klingons made up some freighters in the TOS episode: "Friday's Child".

Just wondering what people would do if they were given comand of a doomed little freighter..

lastresort.jpg42.gif

I think i would order my crew to abbandon ship, take the helm and put me between the kligons and the escape pods, shuttles and hope the resucing ship ever beams them aboard or tractors them in, when they r safe set a course for the strongest enemy vessel and go to ramming speed.

Oh, I misunderstood the question. I think in that case I would probably Pray. Then I would try bartering with the Klingons tell them I will give them my cargo in exchange for the lives of my crew. Their response would probably be. After we strip you petty ship of all cargo and whatever we want then we will determine the fate of you and your miserable crew! Like I said....Pray.

Oh @ Nik that is a great point. However the entire experience was a test so the files may have been added to spice up the event. I dunno.?