Sign in to follow this  
jaina27

Learn Elvish!

From the following languages, which would you most like to learn?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. From the following languages, which would you most like to learn?

• English
    • Spanish
    • French
    • Latin
    • German
    • Pig-Latin
    • Elvish
    • Black Speech
    • Other (Please specifiy)

Hey guys, I know we have a few LOTR fans out there and some of you may have already visited this site, but this is a neat way to learn elvish. Have fun!!

http://learnelvish.com/

Also, this is not like a complete dictionary...so if anyone knows of a site that I can visit that would have even more English words translated to Elvish, please let me know!!!

:sweatdrop:

~Jaina

Binary, Elvish, Klingon, and some others... :sweatdrop:

EDIT: Isn't "Black Speech" known as "Ebonics"?

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

Good question...I just wrote down what I found on that elvish site...anyone know the answer to this one? I believe this is the language of the ring, and they called it something other than Black Speech in the books and movies, but I am not sure what. It is the evil language of Mordor, of Lord Sauron.

~Jaina

Good question...I just wrote down what I found on that elvish site...anyone know the answer to this one? I believe this is the language of the ring, and they called it something other than Black Speech in the books and movies, but I am not sure what. It is the evil language of Mordor, of Lord Sauron.

~Jaina

249344[/snapback]

Is Jive another form of black speech or is it all one and the same?

~Jaina

249344[/snapback]

249347[/snapback]

Help!! Fellow LOTR fans greatly needed!!! LOL. I am not sure...maybe someone will eventually read this and set us all straight :sweatdrop:

I take Latin, Know Cantonese, speak english...

So I'll go with Esperanto, Vulcan, Klingon, Bajoran, Binary, hexagonal, C++, Basic, Black Speech, and Mandarin

I picked Other, or aka "just give me a Universal Translator!!!" :sweatdrop:

Actually, i wouldn't mind learning elvish, it sounds rather soft compared to english, but i don't think my head could absorb it :nod:.

Edited by scaleman

~Jaina

249344[/snapback]

249347[/snapback]

Help!! Fellow LOTR fans greatly needed!!! LOL. I am not sure...maybe someone will eventually read this and set us all straight :laugh:

249352[/snapback]

Well, I used to be a very good LOTR fan... Mostly before the movies came out...

:laugh: I originally thought what you meant by Black Speech, as: "Black English"... Thus I thought you meant: Ebonics...

A bad example of Ebonics, I think, might be...

What ya talkin' 'bout foo?

I would have liked to speak in Esperanto too... Which was featured in the 1997 film: Gattaca, which the speakers spoke both english and esperanto... :cool1: Among my favourite movies, actually...

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

Russian or Cantonese. I already know Japanese and French pretty well, and a bit of Portuguese. I'd like to learn Russian to experience the samantic paradigm shift to another root, and Cantonese because it would be nice to speak to ~20% of the world's population in their native language.

~Jaina

249344[/snapback]

249347[/snapback]

I believe "Jive" is just another word for "lying", that's what I've been told on numerous occasions. :laugh::laugh: "Jive Talkin"

I would like to learn the language women talk cuz i dont understand one word of it :laugh: ...joke.... :laugh:

In Frodo's day, the linguistic situation was unchanged: "The orcs and goblins had languages of their own, as hideous as all things that they made or used, and since some remnant of good will, and true thought and perception, is required to keep even a base language alive and useful even for base purposes, their tongues were endlessly diversified in form, as they were deadly monotonous in purport, fluent only in the expression of abuse, of hatred and fear" (PM:21). Indeed "these creatures, being filled with malice, hating even their own kind, quickly developed as many barbarous dialects as there were groups or settlements of their race, so that their Orkish speech was of little use to them in intercourse between different tribes" (LotR Appendix F). Hence there is no single "Orkish" language for us to analyze. The only thing that seems to be true of all Orkish languages at all times is that they were "hideous and foul and utterly unlike the languages of the Qendi" (LR:178). Indeed "Orcs and Trolls spoke as they would, without love of words and things" (Appendix F). Hence their attitude towards Language was totally different from that of the Elves, who loved and cultivated their tongue. Tolkien was himself a philologist, which title literally implies lover or friend of words, and in his invented world, total absence of love for language could only be a characteristic of evil.

Russian or Cantonese.  I already know Japanese and French pretty well, and a bit of Portuguese.  I'd like to learn Russian to experience the samantic paradigm shift to another root, and Cantonese because it would be nice to speak to ~20% of the world's population in their native language.

249464[/snapback]

Actually Mandarin is 20%...

Cantonese is the minority... :laugh:

Black Speech. Me is a fan of Mordor and Sauron. :laugh:

I speak German, English and a bit French, that should be enough, though :laugh:

I forgot about this but thought a few of you might want it, it's a dictionary which my friend 'Mrs, Weyoun' gave to me that she said is about as thorough as you get, but there's also another site which might have additional info: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Umm, ok, i tried posting the dictionary, but for some reason i'm not being allowed to :drool:. Anyone want it i might be able to PM it to ya.

I guess I'd wanna learn Vulcan most. But I'll go for Latin for now, I already now how to say 'Your fly is open.' Though I still have no idea when I'll be able to use that in actual conversation o.O