Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Spyware...

I was browsing this site, and I got a pop-up, which shouldn't have happened because I have a pop up blocker, and VBG said there's no Ads on this site. I feel almost ashamed that when I downloaded a spyware killer, I had FIFTY spyware programs on my computer!

I was browsing this site, and I got a pop-up, which shouldn't have happened because I have a pop up blocker, and VBG said there's no Ads on this site. I feel almost ashamed that when I downloaded a spyware killer, I had FIFTY spyware programs on my computer!

Don't be ashamed, probably everyone here has some form of spyware on their system and they don't know it.

Once you see thouse popups though you can be sure that's what it is.

I'll stress again here that STARTREKFANS.NET has no popups. If anyone gets one then your system is infected.

I would recommend using both adaware and spybot seach and destroy on your system. most of the time using only one program will not catch them all, for that matter two programs will not always get them all.

I would recommend using both adaware and spybot seach and destroy on your system.  most of the time using only one program will not catch them all, for that matter two programs will not always get them all.

Agreed, Spy Sweeper is a good one too.

Lets put it this way i use five different programs

Norton AV

Spybot

Adaware

Spyblaster

and Bazooka, which gives excellent instructions for going to the registry to get this garbage out!

I would be worried

they adware usually carries spyware, spyware can carry virus's and they are a nuisance at best.

I would do all I could to keep this stuff away, and also toscan you computer once a week. the time is a good investment for peace of mind.

I would be worried

they adware usually carries spyware, spyware can carry virus's and they are a nuisance at best.

I would do all I could to keep this stuff away, and also toscan you computer once a week. the time is a good investment for peace of mind.

I usually run scans every day

Oh and for Adware, scan your whole drive with the in-depth scan. The System Smart Scan only does part of the main drive and the memory.

Seeing as how unwarranted/unwanted spyware is shouldn't someone be required to have a good excuse to add it to a program? Same with adware?

Seeing as how unwarranted/unwanted spyware is shouldn't someone be required to have a good excuse to add it to a program? Same with adware?

They're working on a law for that. Supposedly... :picard-sith: