Sign in to follow this  
TrekkieMage

Tour De France

Is anyone watching it? I know I've been watching it rather religiously, every morning I wake up and it's on. At the moment Lance is laying low and just trying to stay in the top 10 and today the Postal team shreaded the field and are at the moment nearly three minutes ahead of the rest of the tour.

Any bets as to if Lance is going to win his 6th? Personally I think he's got the power and skill to pull it off :laugh:

Just looked at the rankings (these are going to change in the next 10 minutes)

Lance is fourth with 18 seconds slower than the leader. They are about three miles from the finish from what I'm watching right now.

Yes, I've been following it. If every stage is like today's, it's going to be an exciting race.

Oh yes, mostly because of Lance, he's doing everything to win, while there are many many other strong riders (Tyler Hamilton and Jan Ulrich) who are challanging him :laugh:

For you Austrailians, an Aussie just won the yellow jersey for today. The fourth ever to wear one. :)

I'm surprised that more people here in the states haven't been as caught up in it as the rest of the world. This is a monumental task that Lance is attempting. No one has ever won 6 straight in the 100 years of the tour. Bicycle racing just isn't sexy enough for the average U.S viewer I guess, which is too bad considering that it's an American. You'd think that the U.S. networks would devote more time and energy to the story. Perhaps that'll change as we get closer to the end of the tour.

I know :laugh: I'm an American, and I've done many long distance bike rides and tried racing, I know just how hard the Tour is. And who says it isn't sexy? How can you beat young, strong men in spandex? And usually tasteful (if that's possible) spandex :)

I think bike riding/racing is a very inclosed sport, those who don't ride aren't as interested as those who know just how painful the sport is. Not to offend anyone, just an opinion *innocent*

Tour de France is sooooooooooooooooo boooooooooooring :S (no offence)

Boring :blink:

Crashes, history, cobblestone roads, rain, broken bones, pain, speed.

I can understand why you'd think it was boring, but try watching it sometime. Right now they're doing the team time trials and the US Postal Team is kicking everyone's butts. :bow:

And who says it isn't sexy? How can you beat young, strong men in spandex? And usually tasteful (if that's possible) spandex :bow:

I'm a cyclist, and if I had a nickel for every woman who whistled at me out the window of her car or from the sidewalk, I'd be able to buy a few more bikes. They like the spandex and cut up legs, but I think they also find something exotic about a guy who

shaves his legs..... I don't know.... maybe not.

And who says it isn't sexy? How can you beat young, strong men in spandex? And usually tasteful (if that's possible) spandex :bow:

I'm a cyclist, and if I had a nickel for every woman who whistled at me out the window of her car or from the sidewalk, I'd be able to buy a few more bikes. They like the spandex and cut up legs, but I think they also find something exotic about a guy who

shaves his legs..... I don't know.... maybe not.

Lol!

Yeah, I don't think the men have it too bad either, between the female joggers and the cyclists who unzip their jerseys really far...I don't think they're complaining :blink:

Just out of curiosity, why kind of riding do you do? Distance? Racing....?

Edited by TrekkieMage

Yeah, I don't think the men have it too bad either, between the female joggers and the cyclists who unzip their jerseys really far...I don't think they're complaining :bow:

Mostly distance. I also own a mountain bike, but I love the speed and silence from a road bike. However, I also run a lot, and have participated in a handful of marathons, so I'm thinking about training for a triathlon to get the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I don't think the men have it too bad either, between the female joggers and the cyclists who unzip their jerseys really far...I don't think they're complaining :blink:

Mostly distance. I also own a mountain bike, but I love the speed and silence from a road bike. However, I also run a lot, and have participated in a handful of marathons, so I'm thinking about training for a triathlon to get the best of both worlds.

Cool! Yeah, I do a lot of distance riding (just finished a fundraising ride in Maryland, total 125 miles over 3 days. HILLS) and tried racing. Only did one race. Won. And lost. Being the only girl in my age group, all I had to do was finish. :bow:

I've been thinking of doing a triathalon, but I don't run. :bow:

Good luck with it tough! :nono:

Click for Spoiler:

:bow: LANCE ARMSTRON HAS THE YELLOW JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Click for Spoiler:

Does that mean he won? Forgive my ignorance on the topic, I never really got into racing (of any kind).

<h4 style="cursor:hand" onClick="expandit(this)">Click for Spoiler:</h4>

<span style="display:none" style=&{head};> :bow:LANCE ARMSTRON HAS THE YELLOW JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: </span>

Click for Spoiler:

Does that mean he won? Forgive my ignorance on the topic, I never really got into racing (of any kind).

I think it means he is in first place!!!

Tour de France is sooooooooooooooooo boooooooooooring :S (no offence)

You should try watching it with some good friends, good food and good wine with the tour on in the background.

no bcuz then i would end up drunk :bow: I know my friends very well :blink:

<h4 style="cursor:hand" onClick="expandit(this)">Click for Spoiler:</h4>

<span style="display:none" style=&{head};> :bow:LANCE ARMSTRON HAS THE YELLOW JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: </span>

Click for Spoiler:

No VBG, that just means he is currently in the lead, and he will probably loose it in the next couple days. He's aiming to win the whole thing, not just stages. It's a 23 day race, he's looking at the long run. :bow:

Cool! Yeah, I do a lot of distance riding (just finished a fundraising ride in Maryland, total 125 miles over 3 days. HILLS) and tried racing. Only did one race. Won. And lost. Being the only girl in my age group, all I had to do was finish. :bow:

I've been thinking of doing a triathalon, but I don't run. :blink:

Good luck with it tough! :bow:

That's great! I haven't done too much riding this summer. I've been so busy at work that I've only been able to put in between 35 and 60 miles a day. However, things are

easing up a bit, and I might be able to take a few days off for a good trip. I was planning on a nice trip around Lake Michigan this summer - 1300 miles in two weeks, but I may have to settle for a 600 mile trip in five days. I try to take at least one long trip per summer. I just got a new bicycle computer for training intervals, and I might replace my 23mm slicks with 19's for a little extra speed!

my opinion... RACING SEEMS BORING! cause i had to watch it for like, 10 years straight!(and i mean years!) cause all we had is CBC, and there is nothing good on, and on saturdays there is hockey/football/bicycling, so thats what i got to watch. *gets sick* not anymore, thank god, cause now we watch movies, no "CBC"

Hmmm its not my thing but i do know all about armstrong and his battle with cancer and coming back after that to win it a few times :bow:

Edited by hangon

I've been thinking of doing a triathalon, but I don't run. :bow:

Good luck with it tough! :nono:

That's great! I haven't done too much riding this summer. I've been so busy at work that I've only been able to put in between 35 and 60 miles a day. However, things are

easing up a bit, and I might be able to take a few days off for a good trip. I was planning on a nice trip around Lake Michigan this summer - 1300 miles in two weeks, but I may have to settle for a 600 mile trip in five days. I try to take at least one long trip per summer. I just got a new bicycle computer for training intervals, and I might replace my 23mm slicks with 19's for a little extra speed!

:bag:

I haven't been riding half as much as you...I usually get out about once a week...Typicly for about 20 mile rides. The rest of my family isn't as fast as me, so I either ride alone at a good pace or with them for a short distance. My mom has been riding a lot, but she just does distance, no speed for her.

If you ever are in the D.C. area, e-mail me and I can send you some nice cue sheets, any distance you like :hug:

Actually, I might be interested in that 1,300 mile route...I've never done anything like it before...The most I've ridden in a day is 100, and that was when I was 13 :blink: I could probably still do one if I actually rode more often...Problem being that in order to ride fast enough to finish it I'd have to find someone willing to pace 14mph with me....

my opinion... RACING SEEMS BORING! cause i had to watch it for like, 10 years straight!(and i mean years!) cause all we had is CBC, and there is nothing good on, and on saturdays there is hockey/football/bicycling, so thats what i got to watch. *gets sick* not anymore, thank god, cause now we watch movies, no "CBC"

10 years? Dang...I can see where it'd get boring...

But the Tour is actually very exiting, mostly because they are so talented and very very stong and riding increadibly fast. Maybe it's also interesting to me because I know how painful it is... :bow: