Sign in to follow this  
Lady Luthien

Star Trek Fans Chatroom

Whenever I wanna go into the chatroom all i get is a big red X in the left corner of the chatroom screen.Are there any others with that problem or am I the only one?And how do i fix it?

Hi Lady Luthien. I used to have that problem but since I downloaded Java I have no problem. I down loaded it free from a site I found by typing "Java" into Google. I don't know if this will be of any help but I hope that it will. :D

Ive downloaded a java package once and i tried installing it but it took like forever and it hang halfway installing it,and shut down the whole setup program.

Am i the only one with the problem of not getting into the chatroom?

Ive downloaded a java package once and i tried installing it but it took like forever and it hang halfway installing it,and shut down the whole setup program.

Am i the only one with the problem of not getting into the chatroom?

I had the same problem last week but i was just in the chat so i dont know what it was what stopped me from going in there last week :D

Lady Luthien...You aren't the only one with the problem. The computer I'm on at the moment doesn't like programs like the chat room here. Try the Java program again, because that may very well be the problem.

That is indeed the problem. Many programs are already compiled (translated) so that you can run them on your computer, but some programs, scripts, aren't. They require a special interpreter to run correctly. Most applications found on the internet are made in Java or JavaScript, but Java is normally not installed on a computer by default. (Not Windows anyway). You need to install that for the chat applet to work correctly. Java is a big file so it may take a while to download, but once you have it downloaded it should be no problem.

That is indeed the problem. Many programs are already compiled (translated) so that you can run them on your computer, but some programs, scripts, aren't. They require a special interpreter to run correctly. Most applications found on the internet  are made in Java or JavaScript, but Java is normally not installed on a computer by default. (Not Windows anyway). You need to install that for the chat applet to work correctly. Java is a big file so it may take a while to download, but once you have it downloaded it should be no problem.

But I dont get it.The chatroom has been working fine up till yesterday,so how come that since yesterday i suddenly need to download a java package to make it work?

Cant I use the IRC program then for the chatroom?

Well, have you changed your browser? That might have been the problem. Maybe it was a random configuration error? They like to happen.

Anyway, I am sure the chatroom uses Java.

I'm not sure if it is so, but the chatroom most likely does use the IRC protocol, so you would be able to access it trough a IRC chat program like mIRC, but I am unsure of the server address and the actual channel name.

Well, have you changed your browser? That might have been the problem. Maybe it was a random configuration error? They like to happen.

Anyway, I am sure the chatroom uses Java.

I'm not sure if it is so, but the chatroom most likely does use the IRC protocol, so you would be able to access it trough a IRC chat program like mIRC, but I am unsure of the server address and the actual channel name.

yea all I need is the server and the channel bcuz then i can just use it via Mirc.