Sign in to follow this  
Delta

Dr Who Without The Daleks?

This was on the morning news and I thought Dr Who fans may be interested. The following quote is from Sky news:-

1224670.jpg

WE WILL EXTERMINATE YOU

The new series of cult sci-fi drama Dr Who may be forced to drop the Daleks from shows.

A row between the BBC and the creator of the Time Lord's enemies has broken out over control of storylines featuring the characters.

The Beeb shares rights to the Daleks with the man who came up with the idea, Terry Nation, passed on to his family after he died in 1997.

Producers for the show said they had offered "the very best deal possible" to the Nations, but to no avail.

A BBC insider told The Sun: "It's hard to imagine Dr Who without the Daleks but it seems we have no choice."

Filming for the classic series is due to begin in a month and bosses are having to work against the clock to create a new foe for the doctor.

It is scheduled to be broadcast next year, with Christopher Eccleston taking the lead role.

Lifelong fan of the show shadow education secretary Tim Yeo pleaded for the corporation to strike a compromise.

He said: "Dr Who without the Daleks is like fish without chips. It's important the BBC does a deal."

I was gob smacked when I heard this. Dr Who without the Daleks? I just don't think that it would be right, I really like the Daleks. :lol: I hope that they can do a deal I don't think that Dr Who would be the same without the Daleks.

;) Say what??..no darleks in DRWHO :lol: ..i hope thats not true it wouldnt be the same with seeing them again :)

I sincerely hope they shall have Daleks come back on... :lol:

Click for Spoiler:

s721.jpg

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Not to worry doc, maybe there will be a replacement, an even better one. :lol:

Oh crap that stinks. :lol: It was for the Daleks I most anticipated this new series, it won't be the same without them.

Do you know what really makes me laugh about the whole thing? The estate of Terry Nation didn't want the Daleks to be 'too evil'. What? The Daleks are supposed to be the most evil creatures in all the universe! They were intended to me a metaphor for the Nazis. Thats why in 'The Daleks' and 'Dalek Invasion of Earth' they give the Nazi salute. And I still get chills from hearing the Dalek in 'Power of the Daleks' saying 'we are your servants' and no one believing the Doctor that they are going to kill all and sundry.

But what can we expect from the same estate that stopped any Dalek episodes being shown in the 40th anniversay month because they werent getting enough money?

No Daleks: Nation Estate Respond

Saturday July 03 | New Series News

Further to the news regarding the non-appearance of the Daleks in the new Doctor Who television series, the Nation estate, through Tim Hancock, have responded to reports and issued their own statement. Accusing the BBC of trying to 'ruin the brand' of the Daleks, he commented:

"We wanted the same level of control over the Daleks that we have enjoyed for the last 40 years. If the BBC wanted to re-make any of George Lucas' films, you can bet George Lucas would have something to say about it."

Mr Hancock also mentioned the attempts of the BBC to commission a gay Dalek cartoon series for BBC Three, and the use of the Daleks in the recent Warner Brothers Loony Tunes movie, witout the consultation of the Nation estate. "We want to protect the integrity of the brand" and concluded that the BBC were trying to cover up the real reasons why a deal had not been made.

He added “I’m very sorry for Dr Who fans. We accept the Daleks need modernising, and are all for it. All we ask is that they consult us on the designs. But the BBC are not prepared to.”