Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Have You Read Fahrenheit 451?

Have you read Fahrenheit 451?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Have you read Fahrenheit 451?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, I read it in grade 7 on my own and then we did it in grade 10. One of the best books out there, so much symbolism.

I have read it. It was very thought provoking. The thought of burning books was just so scary.

I read it in Grade 9 English. I think its required. I don't know how much I enjoyed it at the time but it is a really good book. I thought it was really cool that Bradbury wrote it in 9 days on library typewriters and the fact that Montag ended up being a pencil company and Faber a maker of paper (without Bradbury knowing).

They're making a new version of the movie for release in 2005, no announced cast yet.

I read it a quite a few years ago, and loved it. It was made into a movie (I'm not sure how many years ago) by Francois Truffeaut (spelling?) - one of my all-time favorite movies. I think Mel Gibson is making the new movie.

Oooooh I really want to read it...I've heard that it's really good. It sounds like the kind of books I love to read: ones that make you think.

Thanks for reminding me about it, I have, seriously, about 100 books that I want to read. I really think I'll start it when I'm done with the bok I'm reading now.

I read it a quite a few years ago, and loved it. It was made into a movie (I'm not sure how many years ago) by Francois Truffeaut (spelling?) - one of my all-time favorite movies. I think Mel Gibson is making the new movie.

Apparently Gibson was attached (to star and direct) at one point but his schedule prevented it.

Nope i have not read it yet but a friend did recomend it to me,he said it was a good book so mabe next time i am in a book store i will buy it.

Yes, I have read it a few times. On my own at age 7, then again at age 13. Then for one of my English papers, I did a report on it in High School.

I have not yet seen the movie though.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

It's a very good book and very easy to understand - you can read it in a few hours if you're motivated to.

The movie, however, is horrendous. The only good thing about it is that it generally sticks to the main plot of the book, but even for its time it looks quite bad and the acting is more than a tad wooden from what I recall. It's not a truly awful interpretation of the novel, but given the short amount of time required to read it, you're probably far better off going for the book. The movie also leaves out a couple of intriguing details like the dog and professor if I remember correctly. I wouldn't recommend watching this movie if you've already read the book because it's unlikely to add anything to your understanding and leave you wishing you could take those two hours back.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Isn't making a movie about it kind of defeating the purpose? I mean its about the society going lazy and slowly stop reading books until it because culturally unacceptable and then finally illegal...

Isn't making a movie about it kind of defeating the purpose? I mean its about the society going lazy and slowly stop reading books until it because culturally unacceptable and then finally illegal...

Very good point. And the producer/director/actors certainly embodied a spirit of laziness on the set.

I've never read it.

It is not part of the curriculum at school for the high classes, only for the lower english. (as in the english for those who failed the high english)

It's been a while, but yes, I've read it. It was scary, honestly, to think of society becoming that way.

Very good point. And the producer/director/actors certainly embodied a spirit of laziness on the set.

I'm pretty sure I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie you are talking about and I liked it. The people did seem wooden, but I thought that just underscored the condition of people in that society.

Seeing the movie has not made me lazy or unable to think for myself. I may get around to reading the book, but I am glad I had the opportunity to think about the issues of the book through having seen the movie.

I've never read it.

It is not part of the curriculum at school for the high classes, only for the lower english. (as in the english for those who failed the high english)

lol, that sounds like we're all "low" class because we've read it. :rofl:

Actually, I never read it for a school assignment either. I had heard of it and thought it would be a worthwhile read.

I don't believe it is too fantastic for something like that to happen - sadly it is more likely we'll just voluntarily become a society like that.

Stardate:214276.8

I've never read it.

It is at my high school.I read it in AP sophomore english.I thought it was a good book.Afterwards we watched the movie and I wanted to shoot myself.Worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. :hug: