Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

What The Heck Was That?

Last night some " GUEST " CAME INTO THIS SITE AND STARTED BAD-MOUTHING STAR TREK AND PARAMOUNT. I took such offense at it I started defending it and everyone one on this site. This unknown maligerer then began fighting with everyone who went into the four, that's 4, threads this person started as a soap-box for it's throwing of flaming Bags of Durfwad. I was sent a PM by one of the Mods to tell me to shut up and stop flaming this person. I tried to stop but for some reason I kept finding myself going back into its threads. After Alterego showed up and closed three of them, this person opened another one titled " YOU'LL HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN THAT " Referring to Alterego's knowing who this person was and closing him or her down. I kind of thought it may have been Shadowfigment with another one of his experiments so I went in and said that and called him a big Jerk. Then I logged out because I figured I'd get in trouble for doing that. But I was just so angry I couldn't stop myself. I felt like I was a mother tiger defending her young. Was I that wrong to do that? This person was trying to get us all fighting with him/her and said it was fun for him/her to do this and obviously it was him/her's intention to cause a riot in here. :bow: Maybe it was BSA Dave? But how could a banned person get back in here?

Edited by Jeanway

a change of IP address, it is possible to change your IP address that could let a person back in. I manage 2 forums like this one (one with the startrek template, one without) and I have problems with people coming in and changing IP since when you get banned it bans your IP address. That is why all of my forums require that you register and get valadation before you can post.

I am pretty certain that it isn't shadow, hes has said and I believe him that he doesn't want to return here.

And for your information Shadow isn't banned, he requested that his account was closed.

Sorry, I didn't know that. I was referring to BSA Dave as being banned Angel, not Shadow. I know Shadowfigment was still around here. As of a few weeks ago anyway.

Edited by Jeanway

In my opinion you played right into his hand Jeanway. That is exactly what he was hoping to accomplish..A fight..It would have been better if you either just discussed Star Trek with him or just ignore the whole thing..Personal attacks and accusations can't be tolerated on this board..We did try to get the topics back to Star Trek before AE showed up..But we weren't successful..

I guess I'll learn, we do afterall learn from experience. :laugh: Well, most of us do anyway. :bow:

You know

It might be this person that was terrorizing another site i went to

Jean ,You noticed that i was steering clear of this person..I knew they were trying to instigate a fight.

We must know ourselves and walk away

All that INDIVIDUAL managed to do was get everyone upset and in trouble while the mods stood by and watched. Why was that exactly? It went on for more than 2 hours and ruined the whole atmosphere at the site until Alterego finally showed up and put an end to that nonsense.

That was Connor Exum according to him anyways. He was annoying.

I really dont get spammers :S If you dont like a website then avoid it,dont start screwing it up for all the members there or make them angry,u wont accomplish anything with it,i hate it when you have to ban someone just bcuz that person cannot follow the rules,then dont join a website like that!

Im sorry it just rather annoys me why there are pple outthere with evidently nothing better to do than spam,my opinion : please get a life and grow up!

Edited by Lady Luthien

That was Connor Exum according to him anyways. He was annoying.

Yeah that's him. He was banned last August when he couldn't restrain himself from bashing crewmembers who did not share the same opinion as his on the topics he would raise. I'm surprised it took him nearly a year to figure out he could bypass the banning by posting as a guest, :bow: you know, with him being "above God" and all. :laugh:

TheSonofVulcan, the problem you speak of isn't the members themselves changing their IP's, the problem is they are using an AOL email. MB Accounts made with AOL emails are harder to ban because AOL is issuing a rotating set of IP to members with each new login. Invision has ways for Admins to stop a spammer with a rotating IP in their tracks, (provided you don't allow guests to post which is probably in our future now thanks to connorx) PM me for details.

None of the mods were able to do anything in this case except delete posts because the attacker was posting as a guest. I've done all I know how to do to prevent him from posting again but I'm not sure it's enough; conceivable he could post on this thread right now, (if he does) I ask all crewmembers to ignore him.

In my opinion you played right into his hand Jeanway. That is exactly what he was hoping to accomplish..A fight..It would have been better if you either just discussed Star Trek with him or just ignore the whole thing..Personal attacks and accusations can't be tolerated on this board..We did try to get the topics back to Star Trek before AE showed up..But we weren't successful..

I agree with ST about what could have happened, and the fact that inappropriate responses played right into the hands of someone who wants to denigrate this site. He can go off and say stf.net cast insults when they cannot handle reasoned remarks against Enterprise.

Some other members, had they been allowed to engage in a trek discussion, may have had specific answers for him, as "well -reasoned" as he perceived his own to be, and then would have eventually caused him to have to fling the first mud in order to continue his bashing.

AE explained something of what mods can and cannot do.

But a lot can be done to thwart bashers if we just demonstrate within our posting the rules we claim we abide by on this site.

yeah, you'd have to change the masks to ban guests from posting. But that wouldn't be good. All we can do is talk reasonably and ignore them while staying on topic.

yeah, you'd have to change the masks to ban guests from posting. But that wouldn't be good. All we can do is talk reasonably and ignore them while staying on topic.

Isn't it sad, that the bad behavior of some "guests" force us to consider being less open by making such changes?

Not being tricked into flaming is at least staying on top of the situation.

I feel for you Jeanway,I checked it out and I was really upset too...you said what I was afriad to...its strange even with no one knowing who I am I can't say what I'm

feeling..I totally get where you were coming from and thanks for batting for us...

I'm glad you're in my corner...... :laugh:

I felt bad for jean also..Its really hard to restain oneself when you are having a bad day and then some one fires somthing off to you

I just tried to asess the situation and learn from it

ignore is best and also reporting it to the Mods

Yeah, I like the mods being willing to do something about spammers and jerks. The reason I joined this board was because I saw this board had a good group of mods not like startrek.com.

I did really try to shut up and leave it alone. But something inside me just went nuts. I should have logged off earlier. I had some other stuff happen to me yesterday and it was just the last straw that broke, that's all. I needed a nap and a lollypop :laugh: