Sign in to follow this  
Syperphobia

Homosexual:

Hey, before you guys run away from this topic, sit and contemplate. What would drive many men/ women to this type of behavior in the scientific approach. I think we all heard the spiritual approach, but to all of you scientists out there you guys say it is genetic. If this fact is true then it has to be in development of human evolution... a natural process. Would one day AIDS become dorment in humans and be used as a way for males to procreate, therefore furthing creating a perferct biological humaniod weapon?

It might be illogical at first to think about this, but humans are adpative to the enviroment they live in. If AIDS become adaptive, how will it effect the human race say 20 years, 25, 1000?

What?????????

How would AIDS allow human males to procreate!?!?!?

Also, aout the genetic thing - genes aren't always favorable, for instance, Cystic Fibrosis is a Dominant Trait but it is a deadly genetic disease!!! Genes aren't always a step "forward" in evolution.

it just seems to be spreading like wild fire, more abundantly for gay people; (sorry I should of added this topic in -Off Topic Discusion, but dont really know my way around)... did Star Trek ever have an episode about a single-sexed race; i think a fan of TNG told me there was; what was their explination?

First, I don't see how AIDS has anything to do with this.

Second, the single-sexed race (yes, there was an episode on it) is completely different. I'm sorry, not meaning to be insulting or anything here, but have you taken a biology or anatomy class lately??? Two males Abolutely Cannot reproduce by themselves, AIDS or no AIDS!!!

it just seems to be spreading like wild fire, more abundantly for gay people;

It may have been more predominate in gay males in North America but the fasting growing area for new infections is in the heterosexual community. Have you not read anything about other areas of the world. AIDS is a major epidemic in Africa amongst the heterosexual population. The percentage of the population that is HIV positive or who have AIDS is astonishingly high. And most of those infected receive no treatment because the incredible high cost of the drugs.

I'm far from a genius in the area of science however I firmly believe that sexuality is genetically predetermined. The fact that I am still heterosexual is proof you can't choose. With some of the jerks I have gone out with, if we could choose I'd probably be a lesbian now. :laugh:

AIDS in no way can aid in the reproduction of humans. It is a disease wich consumes the immune system. If it evolved and adapted, it'd only become a better killer.

As far as a race of homosexuals? This can only happen 1 of 2 ways.

1. 2 males require a female to act as a host for the child.

2. Some how they use technology so as to not include a female. However, they would still need genetic female in order for conception.

It is simply not possible to have child without the female. If you did have that technology, then you would essentially be "designing" people, and not having children.

I say go with nature and what God intended.

Male + Female (in marriage) = Child :laugh:

The only episode that even closely resembles this "single sex" episode you speak of is "The Outcast". That race wasn't single sex, they were androgynous (having the characteristics or nature of both male and female).

Here's a line from the synopsis:

While investigating the disappearance of a J'naii shuttlecraft, the crew finds reason to believe the missing ship is stranded in an abnormal pocket called "null space." Riker and Soren, a member of the J'naii race, begin preparing to rescue the craft, and the two strike up a friendship. Their relationship develops quickly as the pair question each other about mating habits, since the J'naii are androgynous and do not identify themselves as either male or female. Despite this difference, sparks begin to fly between them.

So they weren't "single sex". Also asexual reproduction is possible in some instances. I can't give a specific example off the top of my head but I'm willing to bet someone here can.

Anyway, my belief is this (and this is from the bible) "Judge not lest ye be judged". So my personal feelings on homosexuality may be one thing but I don't judge a homosexual person simply because it's not my place to pass Judgement.

Two males Abolutely Cannot reproduce by themselves, AIDS or no AIDS!!!

Actually, some african frogs can change their gender if they are living in single gender environment.So if two males would be left alone in a limited area(like cage)one of them would surely change his gender.

Actually, some african frogs can change their gender if they are living in single gender environment.So if two males would be left alone in a limited area(like cage)one of them would surely change his gender.

Yes, some frogs and other amphibians can do that, but, last time I checked, there is NO evidence of that happening in humans.

Perhaps in frogs, but there is no evidence to support that humans can do this.

Yes, some frogs and other amphibians can do that, but, last time I checked, there is NO evidence of that happening in humans

True.I just wanted to say two MALES (not human males) can do it.

New twist in direction:

What should the govertment do to solve this problem, and should homosexuals have absolute rights that hetrosexuals have?

New twist in direction:

What should the govertment do to solve this problem, and should homosexuals have absolute rights that hetrosexuals have?

What problem? If you are talking about AIDS, the governments of the world need to commit more resources to research and pressure drug companies to sell the drugs at prices that people can afford. If you are are talking about homosexuality I don't see a problem. It's all in the genes. If you are suggesting government intervention regarding homosexualty, then of course not and yes homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals. Why should one group of people have to give up rights because of who they choose to be with. How is passing laws to discriminate against homosexuals any different than the laws that were passed against African-Americans. Discrimination is discrimination. If laws are passed to protect gay-rights it does not give them more rights than heterosexuals. It protects them from losing rights that we all take for granted.

Discrimination is discrimination.  If laws are passed to protect gay-rights it does not give them more rights than heterosexuals.  It protects them from losing rights that we all take for granted.

Excellent answer, and the problem I was speaking about was AIDS, sorry for the unexplination.

New twist in direction:

I am actually one that doesn't believe in Governments doing this kind of thing. The Government needs to create an environment whereby private industy can come up with the solutions. The Government also needs to regulate those industries to ensure there are no abuses and that everything is done for the benifit of finding a cure but I am one that is for taking the Government out of peoples lives except in cases of "national security".

First - let's go over the basics of evolution. The theory is based on the premise that organisms experience naturally occuring genetic changes in their DNA. Evolution occurs when (over a long period of time) these changes become disseminated into the population.

This dissemination is accomplished by what Darwin termed "Natural Selection" - in other words the organism whose genes are most adaptable to the environment will produce more offspring and his/her genes will become dominant in the gene pool.

Strictly homosexual individuals do not produce offspring so homosexual activity by its nature is precluded from natural selection - as producing offspring is a necessary component

of evolution.

Second, there is a general myth that there is scientific evidence of a genetic link to homosexuality. There are three basic prongs of the approach. The first involves autopsies on the brains of deceased gay men that found enlarged areas in the hypothalamus. The study lacks scientific precision because 1) it attempts to infer cause and effect from correlation 2) similar studies were not done on the brains of highly, sexually-active heterosexuals for comparison 3) the population studied was extremely small.

I don't have room to go into every theory but there is no scientific evidence of a genetic determinant. One theory that shows promise involves heightened hormonal levels in the uterine environment during gestation - but this would be an environmental not genetic cause just as taking medication during pregnancy.

Takara - I can tell you have a great compassion for suffering people - that's commendable. I personally feel very frustrated by this topic - (again I'm refering to American culture because I'm not familiar with Canada) because people are more interested in putting up a politically correct image than genuinely helping people. Of course, not all gay/lesbian people are suffering. But by insisting on a genetic link that isn't there research is not being done to help those who do consider being gay/lesbian a problem.

Even without a genetic link that doesn't mean people should be denied individual rights - there is certainly no justification for violence. What people do in privacy is really their choice. That doesn't mean I should be "required" to approve of it and I think that is where the "extra" rights issue comes in. That violates religious freedom and that bothers me. I try to respect people's right to believe what they want and expect I should receive the same consideration.

I also resent the movement's attempt to label anyone who opposes homosexual activity on religious grounds as a hate monger. For example consuming alchoholic beverages is "against my religion" that doesn't mean I hate people that drink.

Unfortunately, this issue is not the only topic where truth is trumped by political agenda.

It is interesting to see the differences in the point of views of Canadians and Americans. Our countries have very different takes on many issues but we have still maintained a friendly relationship. BTW, the city where I live was the first major city in Canada to elect an openly gay mayor. He is the best mayor we have had in my life time and I plan to vote for him a third time when he is up for re-election. Sexuality was NOT an issue in any of the mayoralty races here.

But by insisting on a genetic link that isn't there research is not being done to help those who do consider being gay/lesbian a problem.

I strongly believe that sexuality is determined by the genes. I'm sure I could find study after study regarding a link but unfortunately I haven't really got the time to go looking for links (I spend all my time here instead :innocent: ) The brain is still one of the biggest mysteries known to man. There was a time when a person with depression was told to "snap out of it" but now we know that it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and there are treatments. As late as the 1960's the prevaling theory on autism was that it was caused by "refrigerator moms" - mothers who didn't bond with their children. Now we know that is completely wrong but what causes autism is still as big a mystery as ever. I believe that one day it will be definitively proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that sexuality is all in the genes.

Unfortunately, this issue is not the only topic where truth is trumped by political agenda.

I believe that statement is true for all sides of any debate.

So Unicornhunter, how about we agree to disagree and go on with Trekkin' through the stars!!

I'd like to add my two cents worth. :laugh:

Why does it matter if one is heteralsexual or homosexual? What one does with their "partner" in the privacy of a bedroom or whatever does not need to be public knowledge. It is a form of love either way and it is a form of sexuallity either way. In any case, it is between two people who choose that way of life. (Let's not get into it being a choice yet.) So, why does it need to be public knowledge? Why do people feel the need to "come out of the closet"? Why does it matter? Do I announce that I'm "straight"? Nope, I just am. So, this whole issue on gay rights is totally bogus. ----- It's like if someone sleeps with their pets on the bed instead of keeping them outside. Does it matter if the animal sleeps outside or on the owners bed inside the warm house? No, it's just that the person would rather have their pets at their side at night instead of out in the cold. ----- Sexuallity is a part of life. Privaye? I believe so, but a part all the same. So, what is with the issue? If you're gay, you're gay. Who cares? (Putting aside religous and moral beliefes aside.)

Is it genetic? I don't believe so. Homosexuals cannot reproduce, so how could they pass down the genes to be homosexual? Can homosexuallity be related to genetics, wether it be a genetic flaw, random trait, or just a stray gene? Of coarse I do. Just like autism is probably genetic. That doesn't mean humans are suppose to be that way though. If it's not genetic, can it be overcome if a homosexual chooses? Absolutely, in fact, it's been done many times. If it is, infact, genetic in some way, can it be overcome? In this day and age, we can replace organs, re-attach limbs, remove tumors from the brain, even repair the brain after severe injury. We've even discovered that we can survive with half the brain removed! So, I believe that some genetic disorders like autism, can be overcome, provided that the circumstances are right. If homosexuallity is genetic, I believe it could be over come if one were to choose so, primarilly becuase it is behavior-related.

Is homosexuallity morally wrong? That's a tuff question! It really depends on your morallity and faith if you have faith that is. It's not my place to tell you wether it's wrong or not. This is one of those issues where you have to decide for yourself. As a Christian, I am one-hundred percent against the act of homosexuallity, however, that does not mean I persecute homosexuals as one of my best friends is gay. I could explain my reasons, but I don't think a Star Trek message board is a place for preaching. :dude: However, I'd love to explain provided someone asks!

Oh well... I think that's kinda it. CYA! :dude:

Is it genetic?  I don't believe so.  Homosexuals cannot reproduce, so how could they pass down the genes to be homosexual?  Can homosexuallity be related to genetics, wether it be a genetic flaw, random trait, or just a stray gene?  Of coarse I do.  Just like autism is probably genetic.  That doesn't mean humans are suppose to be that way though.  If it's not genetic, can it be overcome if a homosexual chooses?  Absolutely, in fact, it's been done many times.  If it is, infact, genetic in some way, can it be overcome?  In this day and age, we can replace organs, re-attach limbs, remove tumors from the brain, even repair the brain after severe injury.  We've even discovered that we can survive with half the brain removed!  So, I believe that some genetic disorders like autism, can be overcome, provided that the circumstances are right.  If homosexuallity is genetic, I believe it could be over come if one were to choose so, primarilly becuase it is behavior-related.

First off, I'm going from what I remember of high school classes on this. Genes are dominant and recessive. A recessive gene can run in a family for generations and not be known until someone reproduces with another individual who is a carrier. For instance, for a person to have cystic fibrosis both parents must be carriers of the gene. If one person does not then the child may or may not become a carrier. Even if both parents have the gene it is not 100% definite that their child will have CF.

As for autism, there is a suspicion that it is genetic as there are more instances of families having more than one child with autism. Studies are still being done. Some people are convinced it is caused by environmental contamination or from reactions to vacinations such as MMR. There are unexplained clusters where the autism rates are higher for no apparent reason. I can say from my personal experience that I know of no cases of autism/PDD in my family and yet my daughter is autistic. And there is another twist, boys on the autism spectrum outnumber girls 4 - 1. Why - we don't know. Autism can not be overcome "given the right circumstances". There is no "cure" to autism.

People seem to bring up the inability of homosexuals to procreate as a reason it is not right. Where does that leave a heterosexual who is infertile. Is that individual less of a person because they can't reproduce.

Man this is what I exactly wanted, the science behind the issue. We, in America, cannot just close down the topic of homosexuality becuase it is 'out there' already. Guys and Ladies have tried to come out the closet, but it is most diffuclt for them. Why? Becuase America lives in this tiny inclosed bubble that shields itself from the rest of the world. Therefore the majority have their rights to what they say and exclude all minorities from what they want to say. Sure there are some places in America that accept homosexuals, but face it; we in America think it is uncalled for, and for there to be a gay mayor in America; Forget About It. That would be the talk of the entire nation. In Europe they have accepted it as a way of life; genetic or non genetic, in some places of Mexico they have accepted it genetic or non genetic; in Canada they accepted it genetic or non genetic. People should just have the freedom in America to say what they need to say without everyone jumping down their thoats. If a gay guy walks down the streets of DC with his partner everyone stairs; heck I do. Sometimes they can be too proud of their lifestyle becuase they carry themselves in an "odd" persona. But yet again who am I to judge, if that is what makes them feel happy then so be it. If they kiss then let it be, why the stairs, why the preaching, why the slanderous phrases. For once, I would love to turn on my American TV set and not hear one gay joke; it hurts when they joke about a lifestyle becasue one one in their hearts should lash out on a persons way of life. Religiously and Morally; who are we to judge upon it as a matter. From reading what I read in the bible, Jesus wasn't even sent down on the world to condem it. We also know that in the Christian outlook that this type of thing is looked down upon, but it still shouldnt break the relationships that grew in todays society of men with men / women with women. If it so happens that the one who created us will judge us then let us go through our day accepting the way society is unfolding. We know the heart of America loves to fight back and have their 'two cents' and this what makes America so great; the freedom of speech. I hope that the people that have read this post realize that it isnt in our place to judge others for what they do. CJLP was right in saying that if they are gay they are gay, if they are straight they are straight. If it is genetic then we cannot help the situation, but what America and the govertment can do is solve the problem of the AIDS virus. I am unsure of the origns of the AIDs virus, but it seems that this thing is what is causing the fear against those who are living the homosexual lifetsyle. Man cannot develop a disease within them and it is foolish for someone to link up homosexuals with AIDS, yes it might be abundant within their group; but to say that a virus is caused by humans is foolish. What we need to do as Americans is come together and find a cure for this problem. This can be the light at the end of the tunnel for whomever does want to explore this lifestyle and not be afraid of getting the disease. And one more note is that just as one might be homosexual, a hetrosexual, or bisexual can also contract the disease as well and just as easy.

Fare warning: just be cautious, of course no one is going to give up the pleaseures that is sex; but beware of AIDS, and all the other STDs that one can get. Once we find a technology or science that can help us we should all be cautious.

Autism can not be overcome "given the right circumstances".  There is no "cure" to autism. 

People seem to bring up the inability of homosexuals to procreate as a reason it is not right.  Where does that leave a heterosexual who is infertile.  Is that individual less of a person because they can't reproduce.

Personally, I believe that autism lies deep within the human brain. Perhaps more unconventional methods of treatment should be sought out?

Well, I'm not going to try to say it isn't right as that'll start a huge debate I'm not in the mood for. What I can say is that the inability for 2 homosexuals to reproduce proves that it isn't natural. And, for argument's sake, let's say it is. Than that inability to reproduce proves that homosexuallity either is not genetic or will never be a majority as the genes can't be passed down from 2 homosexual parents.

The only case that 2 homosexuals could produce a gay child, in genetic terms... would be if the male and female were both gay.

Don't nitpick me, I'm just being generalized, but if you see a flaw in my idea, please I'm welcome to corrections! :laugh:

My big question for humanity right now is "Why is sexuality even an issue?" I do not believe that ANYONE should be judged based on there sexuality. I do not know if it is genetic or not, but it is everyone's right to follow the sexuality that they are the most comfortable with, and I do not think that ANYONE should be denied the rights that are awarded to all human beings. I have always had issues with those that believe that others should not have the same rights simply because they look different or have different beliefs. All human beings are created equal, and should be treated thus.

Okay, rant over. Keep on Trekkin.

My big question for humanity right now is "Why is sexuality even an issue?"  I do not believe that ANYONE should be judged based on there sexuality.  I do not know if it is genetic or not, but it is everyone's right to follow the sexuality that they are the most comfortable with, and I do not think that ANYONE should be denied the rights that are awarded to all human beings.  I have always had issues with those that believe that others should not have the same rights simply because they look different or have different beliefs.  All human beings are created equal, and should be treated thus.

Okay, rant over.  Keep on Trekkin.

AGREED :laugh:

This topic has been closed due to concerns that discussions on sexuality may not be suitable in this type of forum. Our membership includes all ages from pre-teen through people in their mid 60's.

While I don't want to hinder open discussion I also have to take parental concerns into consideration.

In the future I request that you you would like to discuss topics of a sexual nature that it be done through e-mail or PMs. This way we won't have any members be forced to resign from the boards due to contet.