Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Have You Home Canned Fruits Or Jams?

Have you home canned fruits or jams?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Have you home canned fruits or jams?

• Yes, I regularly or semi-regularly can certain specialties
    • Yes, if helping my mom or grandma counts
    • No, but I watched mom or grandma from a safe distance
    • No, and I have no idea what you're talking about

It's home canning season, though I wonder if people do it as much as they used to. Walmart still puts the jars and lids out. When I was little I remember my mom doing a lot of canning.

I've done some canning as an adult, now mostly I make jalapeno jelly (ohh yum) and the jalapeno's are ready but I'm not .... it's a lot of work.

I remember many years ago my mom and I kept hearing a strange noise - we couldn't figure out what it was, after a day or two we realized that the seal had broken on a jar of canned potatoes and the gases would periodically escape - which is what we were hearing.

In case you're wondering - home made jams taste so much better than store bought. When I lived in Utah I learned about freezer jam, OMG, fresh strawberry jam on homemade bread. It was there I also learned how to make homemade fruit leather from home canned fruit that had discolored. And fresh raspberry jam from bear lake raspberries, ah fond memory

Well this fall I am going to find a good orange marmalade recipe - I'll even experiment with different types of oranges. I wonder how a mixed citrus marmalade would taste?

Yes I have UH. I've made green tomato relish, strawberry preserves, pickles, peaches, stewed tomatos, applesauce. Yea, is is alot better than the store bought stuff. My Mum did teach me when I was little. I don't do any now though. :theking: I should. Hey, do you think you can do anything with melons? I also have a dehydrator and my favorite thing to do with that is watermelon. That's incredible dried. I also have made ' turkey jerky', I was just fooling around with marinades and thought I'd try making some, that also was incredible. I've also made ' beef jerky', with the same marinade.

once my mom tried to make pickles, but she messed up and they got air in them. That was 2 years ago and she has yet to throw them out :theking:

Yep. Well, Mom does it and I'm required to help. :theking:

Strawberry jelly

Strawberry jam

Apple jelly

Apple jam

Crabapple jelly

preserves

blackberry jelly

blackberry jam

cherry jelly

canned cherries

canned pears

canned peaches

mock pineapple

canned tomatoes

tomato juice

vegetable soup

chili sauce

tomato sauce

salsa

canned potatoes

apple sauce

green beans

apple butter

pickles

relish

chutney

...and a bunch of things I've forgotten about, not to mention everything we've put in the freezer.

:theking: Ace, I never would have guessed :clap:

I also make my own cranberry juice, it's so much better than the store bought stuff. Has more of a musky taste, it's really good.

:theking: Ace, I never would have guessed :clap:

I also make my own cranberry juice, it's so much better than the store bought stuff. Has more of a musky taste, it's really good.

I'm just glad we don't have any gardens this year so she can't force me to do as much. :clap:

Wow, Ace, that is an impressive list.

If my tomatoes cooperate I hope to try salsa this year.

I had some roommates make apple butter once. I vowed then and there I would never attempt it.

Wow, Ace, that is an impressive list.

If my tomatoes cooperate I hope to try salsa this year.

I had some roommates make apple butter once.  I vowed then and there I would never attempt it.

When it's made right... :theking:

Forgot: grape jelly.

I'll probably be adding to that list for days. :clap:

Tomatoes. It seems always to be the hottest day in the summer and undoubtedly my sister and I would be made even more uncomfortable by us having our monthly visitor. I would swear even the walls in that old house would be sweating due to the heat. I hated tomatoes and beans. Thankfully my husband doesn't require of me to do our own canning although the church makes invitation to us to go to the apple cannery from time to time. I'm lucky my husband declines.

I selected the third choice, because even though my family does not home can, I know what it is. My former office mate at work still does it, altough she hates it. She does it because her husband loves it.

I finally took matters into my own hands yesterday and threw out the old contaminated pickles. Don't know why my mom never bothered to get rid of them...maybe she was trying to grow her own botx, jk. Maybe I should have the haz-mat team come pick them up :clap: