Sign in to follow this  
Red Shirt Volunteer

Meteroite Hits Archers' House

Thought this meteorite story was kind of interesting, especially considering the name of the family whose house it hit: The Archers. The story's from the BBC.

Space rock smashes into NZ home

A grapefruit-sized meteorite has crashed through the roof of a house in Auckland, New Zealand.

The rock hit a sofa and then bounced back up to the ceiling, before coming to rest under a computer.

"There was just a huge explosion and we looked around and there was just dust everywhere," home-owner Brenda Archer told New Zealand television.

The meteorite was probably travelling at about 500 km/h (300 mph) when it hit the house, experts say.

"I'm just glad no one was sitting on the couch because they would have got absolutely crowned," Mrs Archer said.

A beauty

When the meteorite entered the atmosphere, it is estimated to have been the size of a basketball, travelling at about 50,000 km/h (30,000 mph).

Collectors worldwide are expected to offer the Archers cash for the 1.3-kg (3lb) rock.

Meteorite expert Joel Schiff from Auckland University said it could be worth more than US$5,000.

"Falling through a roof is really an exceptional event and this is a beautiful, large specimen," he said.

The overwhelming majority of meteorites entering the atmosphere burn up before reaching the Earth.

The chances a house being hit by a space rock have been measured in the billions-to-one - although two such incidents were reported last September - in New Orleans in the US and in India's Orissa state.

BBC: Space rock smashes into NZ home

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

I think about something like that, all the time, I live on the top floor :look: Except I think it'll be a jet engine coming crashing through the roof. :look:

Edited by Jeanway

I've always wanted a meteorite...

Come on...

need one to hit right now...

Dang...

I'm going to have to buy one...

Well, Jeanway one family didn't get a jet engine but they got a big chunk of that frozen green septic fluid from a jet fall through the roof. Ewwwww

You know, when I read that story I immediately thought of another incident where the meteor landed by the computer...odd coincidence.