Sign in to follow this  
Mike

The Golden Gate Bridge

I watched ST IV again tonight and a thought struck me..There is the Golden Gate Bridge right there in front of our eyes in the 23rd century !! And it looked beautiful..Almost brand new looking..It got me thinking...Do you think the real Golden Gate Bridge will survive that long ? I really think it'll need some rebuilding or refurbishing by then..

Here's another question for ya...In the Star Trek world what do they use the Golden Gate Bridge for ? I can't imagine that there is any kind of land vehicles anymore..Why would there be when they have that wonderful transporter technology..

What do you all think ??

they probably do have some type of ground transportation.

It could also be a landmark. Or just there.

Yes the golden gate bridge could still exist. With today's technology in around a 100 years the bridge would not last but with technological enhancements it can be refurbished as you said. Now also what would it be used for, just about the same as most old sites. That is History.

Like the others have already stated it's probably a historical icon. I'm sure they have some sort of transportation other than transporters though. Perhaps some sort of hovercraft vehicle or something like it. The bridge certainly is an impressive landmark, built during the great depression and creating many jobs for out of work men.

I have stood on it before. While I was out there it started misting lightly and the wind was extremely powerful. I have a picture of me standing there all bundled up in my jacket. It was very cold. My friends and I actually walked from our hotel on Fisherman's Wharf to the bridge. We started walking around 1:00 and finally made it there sometime around 6:00. Lets just say the bridge looked like it was a lot closer than it actually was and I think we later discovered that it was a good 6 to 7 mile walk from where we started. We took a bus back to the hotel becasue by that time it was raining and we were too tired to walk all the way back.

Edited by Vulcan IDIC

That's an interesting question, Spacetigger. I doubt it would last that long as is without serious restoration with tech we don't yet have, but it would certainly be worth restoring in the future as it's probably the first image that comes to mind for most people when they think of San Francisco.

Well when the air shuttle passes over it there is no traffic visible on it's surface. It soon gets a hit during the Breen attack on Earth though...

They charge $5 everytime you go over that bridge (entering SF, only one way). With inflation, over time, with interest, etc, etc.....too bad they don't use money in the future. But that's for the upkeep and maintenance on the Bridge and it could use a coat of paint about now.

I think that there is a good chance that it will still be there, but I think it will have little or no original material left as it would have been repaired so many times. As for a use, I agree that it may have no other purpose than to be a land mark and tourist attraction. :eekout: