Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ Any Suggestions ~~

If it's just mindless blather, no. :look: I think the Mods look at me funny anyway. :look:

What is with all the drama at this site?  I thought it was supposed to be about Trek.

It is about Trek. We are just a big bunch or Trekies who sometimes have a bit of difficulty. Then we all make-up. Your just coming in at the end, this is make-up stuff, that's all. It's good. :look: In order to be a well rounded person one must be able to function in many capacities, " Red Shirt ", variety IS the spice of life, right? Do you just watch ONE channel of the Television?

Wow, this thread is really off topic! :look:

With that said, all I can think of is a small convenience thing. When topics have more then one page, I'd like it if there was an option to read all or the posts on one page. Its only a tiny thing but there you go.

Also, I'd like it if when people want to post useless/random/one-word replies, they do it in the proper place. :look: Now I know I'm sounding like some anally-retentive jerk who has no life... Well, I am but still, it is annoying when you come across people saying things like "Clouds are fluffy" in the middle of a discussion. Not that I'm getting at anyone here.

Other then that, nothing really.

Well aren't clouds fluffy?

Isn't annoying when there is an argument about somthing and eveyone gangs up on a person..Even if its Non of thier Beewax?

Well aren't clouds fluffy?

Isn't annoying when there is an argument about somthing and eveyone gangs up on a person..Even if its Non of thier Beewax?

I'm sorry, I don't understand. I said quite clearly that I was not getting at anyone and I was not, least of all you. I was not thinking of anyone person when I wrote that but I apologise if you thought it was meant at you. It was not.

However, I do not apologise for saying that useless and irelevant posts that are completely off-topic are annoying and frankly childish. If people wish to post that kind of thing then they should do so where they are meant to, ie the Cotten Candy Factory and leave the serious forums for serious posts, or at least posts with a point.

Edited by NordicBearskin

Well, well, well, since I started this thread I guess I should interject here.

Off Topic is just part of it all. Discussions get skewed in one direction and evolve into some pig-faced, scary animal sometimes, so what. :P No one is getting payed to post so how serious can it be, this is all for entertainment and enrichment and comraderie between us all with all our main thread, or connection being Star Terk. I think a silly post in the middle of a heated discussion kind of adds to it's charm :laugh: We all have different views and opinions that's what makes coming here so addicting, OOPS, did I just say that? :o :blink: :eekout:

Well, well, well, since I started this thread I guess I should interject here.

Off Topic is just part of it all. Discussions get skewed in one direction and evolve into some pig-faced, scary animal sometimes, so what. :P No one is getting payed to post so how serious can it be, this is all for entertainment and enrichment and comraderie between us all with all our main thread, or connection being Star Terk. I think a silly post in the middle of a heated discussion kind of adds to it's charm :laugh: We all have different views and opinions that's what makes coming here so addicting, OOPS, did I just say that? :o  :blink:  :eekout:

Well, I'll show you an example of what I mean by "useless and irelevant posts that are completely off-topic".

Say, for example, there is a discussion about the celebrties and their influence in our culture. Then someone posts something completly random about, say squirrels. Then that that topic ends up looking like this: Person A: "I like squirrels, they are so cool" Person B: "Really?" Person A "Yeah!!!11!" Person B "LOL - cool!" Person A "I know" and so on till the topic is ground into the dust.

Now, this is not amusing nor does it enrich the topic; off-topic does not mean the topics can go in any direction, it means that it is a forum for the discusion of non-Star Trek ideas. And no, having to trawl through 20 or so random two word posts does not add to the charm.

Having different opinions is great and everyone should express theirs fully. However, the above example, which has happened a couple of times is not expressing that persons views, it is at best deliberatly taking a threat off-topic and having a personal conversation in a public forum. At worst its a selfish act that completly de-rails the topic, again, if anyone wants to post random posts there is a forum available.

*reviews post* I knew I would look like the bad guy! Oh well, just my two cents...

Edited by NordicBearskin

Hey, Lighten up, there are kids in here who fool around like all kids do. As an adult, or most adults, understand this. I like having the kids around sometimes they knock some sense into us adults when we get too serious. Sometimes when I get too serious a funny little comment from one of them snaps me out of it. Are you in a bad mood or something NoBeSk? There is a 'Pissing and Moaning' thread in here somewhere you might like to visit. :eekout:

Edited by Jeanway

What is with all the drama at this site?  I thought it was supposed to be about Trek.

It is about Trek. We are just a big bunch or Trekies who sometimes have a bit of difficulty. Then we all make-up. Your just coming in at the end, this is make-up stuff, that's all. It's good. :eekout: In order to be a well rounded person one must be able to function in many capacities, " Red Shirt ", variety IS the spice of life, right? Do you just watch ONE channel of the Television?

Umm, actually, yes... I do watch one channel of television. As a matter of fact, I only watch one program: "Enterprise." To be completely honest, I don't watch any channel because I have to have "Enterprise" sent to me on video since it isn't really available where I live (it started 2 seasons late and is on at 3a.m. on a Wednesday morning).

TV is most certainly not the spice of life - it's the sugar. It's the junk that acts as a substitute for a lack of substance in reality or ability to deal with said reality. I hope you accept my assurance that I am able to function in a great many capacities, but being able to flick through the channels is not one of them.

Just so there's no more drama, rest assured that I am calm and don't need to "lighten up." I think NordicBearskin has a very good point. Not only is it relevant in relation to pointless responses, but also the fact that many of the responses utterly fail to address subsequent ones. Too many threads are a string of posts by different people giving the same answer to the original post and never really developing into a discussion. I'm not saying that's what happened here, because it obviously didn't, but it does occur with disturbing frequency.

One example is when there's a poll and people vote then decide to make a post that includes little or nothing more than the option they chose. What's the point of writing that? They should at least give their reason so that meaningful discussion might follow it. That's all I have to say at the moment.

Hey, Lighten up, there are kids in here who fool around like all kids do. As an adult, or most adults, understand this. I like having the kids around sometimes they knock some sense into us adults when we get too serious. Sometimes when I get too serious a funny little comment from one of them snaps me out of it.  Are you in a bad mood or something NoBeSk? There is a 'Pissing and Moaning' thread in here somewhere you might like to visit. :eekout:

I like to call it the Bandwagon effect..

Sod does Jeanway...

She came up with the term... :laugh:

I don't like polls or voting on something either. I hardly ever watch television it's mindless crap. I watch Enterprise too, and that's about it.

Red Shirt: "Hey, what the...!? You're not on the crew manifest."

Reptilian: "Why would you ever walk behind a big boulder like this on your own?"

Red Shirt: "Saw this move in a training video. Say, where'd you get that funky uniform? I love the way the green catches your eyes."

Reptilian: "Same place I got this huge rifle." Zap.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Red Shirt:  "Hey, what the...!?  You're not on the crew manifest."

Reptilian:  "Why would you ever walk behind a big boulder like this on your own?"

Red Shirt:  "Saw this move in a training video.  Say, where'd you get that funky uniform?  I love the way the green catches your eyes."

Reptilian:  "Same place I got this huge rifle."  Zap.

:eekout: :blink: :laugh: I Love It!!!!!

Hey, Lighten up, there are kids in here who fool around like all kids do. As an adult, or most adults, understand this. I like having the kids around sometimes they knock some sense into us adults when we get too serious. Sometimes when I get too serious a funny little comment from one of them snaps me out of it.  Are you in a bad mood or something NoBeSk? There is a 'Pissing and Moaning' thread in here somewhere you might like to visit. :eekout:

Well, I am "light". I'm not talking about a "funny little comment", I am talking a about completely non-relevent spam with smilies.

Please, and this a general point to no-one in particular, think about other people before you decide to take a thread off-topic. Some people like having completely pointless topics with 46 three word posts in them from four members, however, some people do not and I'm sure some people do not like having their topics become something completely different because someone thinks it is amusing or funny to repond with a random series of posts.

Please remember, while some people might like totaly randon post after posts, others do not. There are in fact forums for nonsensical posts, if you feel like posting a pointless post or topic, please do use them, its a common courtesy and ensures that everyone is happy.

Oh and Jeanway, that comment was slightly too personal and, whether you meant it or not, I did feel slightly insulted. Just be a litle more careful with your wording in future okay?

This just seems to be a thread to start friction.

For the most part 99.5% of the people on this site have no problem with it

The Mods do the best they can this is not there sole purpose in life.

This is something they want to do not have to do.

Nothing is perfect but this is the best trek site on the web.

Have a problem You can talk to them they are willing to listen.

not like other sites.

Sorry to rant but it boils downs to you do not like it here log off

HUH? :eekout: I love it here. I'm not trying to cause friction. And NoBeSk, sorry, if I sounded a bit callous last night. I had been up 22 hours and running on pure adrenalin. I'm sorry. I enjoy conversing with you very much. I can see the Mods have alot to put up with and can't be everywhere all the time, I'm aware of that too. That's why there is a ' REPORT ' button on every post. If you think it's useless Spamming just report it. Yes, this is the best Trek site, no argument there. And all the Mods here are great. :laugh: That's just my opinion. Can I go now? :blink:

5. Do away with "Kronos".  I don't see why a Star Trek site should have an "adult section" anymore than a theme park should have an "adult book store". :o

I think of Kronos as a forum where the threads get heated, lots of political opinions thrown around, not as an "adult" forum. I think it should stay so those who want to talk about topics that draw out strong feelings can post without censoring themselves too much, I don't recall ever seeing a thread in there that was "adult book store" -like. Keep the politics in one forum so it doesn't spill out into the other threads , easier to avoid those discussions if you want to that way. :P

Yea, " Kronos Multi-Thread Bandwaggoning" is the worst. I got sucked into one thread and couldn't escape it for weeks. Thanks Fen :laugh: There is a certain level of nastiness and hostility in there. I try to stay out of there as much as I can, I'm glad it's clearly marked. " WARNING, THIS FORUM COULD BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR MENTAL HEALTH" :o :eekout: :)

Captain Picard, Did you post the above before or after you posted in Kronos today?

EXACTLY FEN! :)

"There is a certain level of nastiness and hostility in there."

Jeanway, you really believe it's THAT bad in there? I don't see it, I use memories of ST.COM to judge the level of nastiness and hostility in Kronos and although threads have been closed for tempers flaring it never has reached the level of warfare we all remember at ST.COM. Agreed?

AE, that was a long time ago, why are you bringing that up again. ... Why you always throwing up the past to us? ...

It was not that far in the past, all the quote dates match. :)

Oh yea! Who said? You?  You know after all the insults I've seen you hand out it's amazing to me how you can dish it out but you can't take it. I was talking to my FRIEND, Alterego. I don't like seeing him upset, is that alright with you, Mr. SmartyPants?? Oh, sorry about the weight thing. :blink: Just lost it there for a second.

I wasn't upset at all Jeanway, my not being upset was the point I hoped to get across to you. Btw, you and I are not as chummy as you let on above; our exchanges are about board business. Sorry you misunderstood our relationship.

Sometimes I think you get trigger happy with that Yardstick Alterego. then again, in my own twisted reality, I am never wrong...maybe, just maybe, I do ocassionally deserve it.

Jim I understand your desire for a war of position between opposing sides of every Kronos issue (just for the fun of it I'm sure) but I cannot allow that. That forum was created to keep controversial topics in a place away from the regular family atmosphere of STF'S, not for mudslinging war games. It being password protected is not an "anything goes" license. The policy for Kronos is clearly posted and will remain in effect.

Last time I was there I noticed Ten Forward at st.com still allows that kind of thing to go unchecked.

Allow freedom of expression

We allow every freedom of expression which is not in violation of the rules, I've said it before and I say one more time; you want freedom to flame mods and fight with other members then go to the war grounds that are st.com or where-ever you find such things to be allowed and knock yourself out.

What is with all the drama at this site? I thought it was supposed to be about Trek.

We are under attack by a few message board members from another site; their strategy is to cause disruptions by questioning our policies, flaming the staff and generally causing disturbances every chance they get. The net result being members will supposedly flee here to join "elsewhere".

NordicBearskin we the staff are sorry for the overly negative replies to your comments, they are part of the attack I spoke of above, please don't allow them to run you off. A crack-down has begun and will continue until the peace we used to enjoy around here is restored. :)