Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

First Few Seasons The Best!

TNG is in my top list of Trek series' (along with TOS and Enterprise) however I have always enjoyed the earlier seasons as the best. The early episodes seemed somewhat darker and more gritty with such great episodes as Conspiracy, Datalore, Too Short a Season, We'll Always Have Paris, The Big Goodbye...the list goes on.

The second season saw the introduction of the great Dr Polaski, she was a much bigger character capable of taking major roles in episodes and helped bring more colour to Data's characterisation. In this season we explored equality issues in The Measure of a Man and Elementary, Dear Data. Time Squared was a fantastically erie episode with plenty of atmosphere, Riker got to be his most Kirk-like in Peak Performance and Q Who introduced a foe that had such a massive impact on first viewing.

So what do you think? Is there anyone out there who does not consider the first few season to be weak at all?

Personally I have absolutely enjoyed all of TNG but overall season one and season two are right up at the top.

tng00202.jpg

What a wonderful picture *drools* :( :(

Erm.. what... oh yes, right, the topic. :)

I love the first two seasons of TNG as well, I wouldn't consider them as to be weak either.

I like Jean-Luc always being a bit grumpy, Data struggling on the issue of human humor and so on. And, of course, I'm a big fan of Dr. Pulaski. She's just great. :clap:

And I love episodes like "Elementary, Dear Data". The episode wouldn't have been so great without Pulaski. ;)

So, yes, I could say I am a fan of the first two TNG seasons as well. They have a special place in my heart. :) :laugh:

That is a real nice pic TM..I might have to copy it if it's OK... :(

I liked the early seasons of TNG very much..I'm a big Tasha fan so I have to like the first season..I also like Bev Crusher alot and was glad she came back in season 3..But Dr Pulaski was in some good 2nd season episodes..Data certainly had some interesting interactions with her..Course, one of my fav TNG episodes happens in season 2..'The Measure of a Man'..I never tire of watching that one..Picard really saved Data's future in that one..

The first 2 seasons of TNG have always been my least favorite, I have some episodes in those seasons I like but on the whole I dind't like the seasons.

I don't think it really hit it's stride until season 3.

Well, I really liked Dr. Pulaski and I think that there are some wonderful episodes in Season 2. Season 1 ... let's just say I'm not a big fan of aliens wearing diapers and running everywhere they go, or Commander Riker scoring on every planet they visit, or Deanna emoting and doing little else in nearly every episode :rolleyes:

Pulaski would have been an awesome character if they'd kept her a few more seasons.

For my money, Season 5 is the BEST. Just about every episode is well-acted, engaging, exciting and just plain cool.

You're one of the few people who believe this TM. While I don't think they are the best, I do find the first 2 seasons much better than people make them out to be. Some of my favorite episodes are from the first few seasons: 11001001, Lonely Among Us, Conspiracy, Contagion, The Royale, Time squared, Q Who?. I also want to make a mention to Shades of gray, because I feel I'm the only one who actually liked the episode.