Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Takara_Soong

Takara's Personal Log

I've been wanting to start a personal log for some time but I just couldn't come up with a name for the thread. Then I started to think ~ what would Data call his personal log if he could name it? ~ and it hit me. Data would call it a personal log. Doh%204.gif

I haven't been to the boards as much lately as I have meant to and certainly have missed the place. I've really thrown myself into researching my family tree lately and have added some new information that has encouraged me to look further. I've still run into a few walls regarding my paternal grandfather, a paternal great-grandmother and a set of maternal great-grandparents but hopefully I'll get over those hurdles soon. With one paternal branch of the family, I have a very good lead on a paternal great-great-grandfather in Northumberland, England and I'm waiting to get the Civil War pension records of a maternal great-great-grandfather (he fought for the Union btw).

I've been watching the hockey playoffs this year too. The only thing I hate about the playoffs is when they end!!! In Canada we have at least one game shown every night in the early rounds and as the number of teams decreases we have every game broadcast. It's amazing how easy it is to get use to watching that much hockey and then...it's over!!! Talk about having to go cold turkey!!! Goof.gif

You've probably noticed I have a bit of an addiction to smilies. Here are some of my favourite ones and who they remind me of:

EvilKevin.gif Now this is obviously VBG. LOL

AEDevil.gif This was Alterego from when he had the picture of him in the mask in his profile.

FlagWaving%202.gif This one reminds me of Bysty and Nemesis.

AngelHorns.gif This one in a way reminds me of RC and dill. Both look so innocent but I know the truth!!!

Typos.gif She'll kill me but when I saw this I immediately thought of Lessa.

Group-Hug2.gif And this one makes me think of them all and STF.

You should now be feeling drowsy so don't forget to tuck yourself in for a nice nap. lol

AngelHorns.gif This one in a way reminds me of RC and dill. Both look so innocent but I know the truth!!!

Hey, you're gonna blow my cover! I've got these people thinking I'm sweet and innocent. :laugh::laugh:

*is blissful at seeing Takara's log again* :P

Click for Spoiler:

I missed my fellow HTB winker.gif

D'OH!!!!!!!! I look like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer!!! My daughter, Chantelle, had been waiting since last June to go to the Winnipeg International Air Show this year. That's how much she loved it last year. The person who took her last year found out on Friday that she wouldn't be able to take Chantelle because she was coaching in a basketball tournament and the schedule conflicted with the air show times. Chantelle was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO upset! I couldn't stand to see her looking so sad and to see her crying so I asked my mom to pick up tickets for us. It was cloudy and overcast on Sunday but I still remembered to wear sunscreen, bug spray and a hat. Chantelle was covered from head to toe with sunscreen but I forgot to put sunscreen on my face. "But the hat will have protected you" you say. Hats aren't much protection from the sun when you are constantly looking up in the sky. I think I even sunburned my lower lip. It has this little white spots about the size of pinprick and I feel like I've got a fat lip. Thank goodness the air show was soooooo good that I don't care that I look so goofy. I've discovered that calomin lotion works really well on sunburns. Thank goodness I had some left over from when Chantelle had the chicken pox about 4 years ago.

Back to the air show, if anyone has a chance to see the Canadian military's precision flying team, the Snowbirds perform - GO!!!!!!!!!!!! They are truly spectacular. The formations they flew were amazing. The tightest formation pattern they have in the performance features 5 of the 9 planes and they are 8 FEET apart!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!

Hockey is over now. I'm glad Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup. I have a soft spot for Nikolai Khabbibulin, the Winnipeg Jets' former goalie who now plays for Tampa (sigh I miss my Jets!!!!!!!!). My mom told me about an article she had read where someone had said they couldn't cheer for the Calgary Flames because of an incident in the first round of the 1987 playoffs involving the Flames' Jamie MaGOON (as he will forever be known in Winnipeg - his real name is Jamie Macoun) breaking the ribs of our captain and best player Dale Hawerchuk. We had a great team that year and many a Jets fan believes we would have had our most sucessful playoffs ever if Dale hadn't been hurt. I thought I was "over" that incident myself but I must admit by game 6 of this year's finals I really had that hate back for the Flames (sorry Flames fans).

I've made a little progress in my search for my family history. I found a couple of posts at a genealogy message board that were asking about a couple of the same lines I'm searching. I asked my mom if she knew anyone with this woman's name who was associated with the families named and she said she had a cousin with the same first name but she didn't know what her last name was now. I emailed the woman and it turns out she is my mom's cousin. When she responded she said she nearly fainted when she read my email she was so surprised. She was also happy to know there was someone else who was interested in genealogy as she was the only one who was working on it amongst our relatives in her area. We exchanged information and told how each of us became interested in genealogy. My interest started when I was about 8 years old. I was born in Kenora, Ontario which was originally named Rat Portage (after muskrat so no jokes). I was working on a school project about the history of Kenora when my mom told me that my ggrandparents were married in Rat Portage. All of my relatives were either in Thunder Bay, Ontario (dad's side) or Calgary, Alberta (mom's side) it seemed so it really made me feel connected to know this. My mom's cousin had told me she became interested when she was cleaning out her mother's things after she had died. She found an old letter from a cousin of her mother's that claimed that the family was related to one of the founders of Cincinnati, Ohio. She has verified that yet but hopes to. Hmmm I wonder if we could get some free Reds tickets or something out of that. lol

That's my update for today. I think I need to put more lotion on my nose - it's starting to hurt again. *whine*

Back to the air show, if anyone has a chance to see the Canadian military's precision flying team, the Snowbirds perform - GO!!!!!!!!!!!! They are truly spectacular. The formations they flew were amazing. The tightest formation pattern they have in the performance features 5 of the 9 planes and they are 8 FEET apart!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!

I do! Every year, they practice over my house a lot. I live not that far away from our airforce base. :P

FlagWaving%202.gif This one reminds me of Bysty and Nemesis.

Yay!

Lol. I can't believe I missed this thread though. I love the name!! Lol.

It's good to see you back at the site!

But... I'm mad at Calgary. Kiprusoff sucks. Stupid Tampa. Lol.

I do! Every year, they practice over my house a lot. I live not that far away from our airforce base. :dude:

I actually saw them perform in Italy , at Aviano AB, back in 1980 or so. I was a Security Policeman with the USAF. My roommate was from Saskatoon, believe it or not.

However, I'm partial to the US Navy's Blue Angels - simply AWESOME!

They will be performing at Deke Slayton Airfest in LaCrosse, Wisconsin this weekend. I will be there with family. :dude:

I do! Every year, they practice over my house a lot. I live not that far away from our airforce base. :dude:

I actually saw them perform in Italy , at Aviano AB, back in 1980 or so. I was a Security Policeman with the USAF. My roommate was from Saskatoon, believe it or not.

However, I'm partial to the US Navy's Blue Angels - simply AWESOME!

They will be performing at Deke Slayton Airfest in LaCrosse, Wisconsin this weekend. I will be there with family. :o

They were in my area, at Andrews, awhile ago... I wasn't able to go because I was sick. ARGH!!! Oh well, next time...

Like the log. :dude:

I've stopped in for a visit. I hope they will be much more frequent. All I can say is damn depression. One of the symptoms of depression is losing interest in something you enjoy and, believe it or not, that struck me in my heart and stole my desire to come here.

I've been able to continue looking into my family tree. I was finally able to discover the maiden name of my gggrandmother on my mother's side. My father's side continues to prove difficult but I'll try to keep digging.

It's been an interesting summer. Chantelle turned 10 in early July. We went on the Prairie Dog Central (vintage train) for her birthday. She loves it and looks forward to going. It's become a tradition that we do every year now. Chantelle continues to grow and is now about the same height as my mother (5'2") and she comes up to my eyebrows. She had a pretty good summer although she did have a few meltdowns but she recovered beautifully from them. For those who don't know, Chantelle is autistic. I think hormones may be playing a factor in those meltdowns but Chantelle is now able to recognize that her behaviour was not acceptable. She gave very sincere apologies (without prompting) for each incident.

I'm really looking forward to the start of season 4 of Enterprise. Of course I'm especially looking forward to seeing the episodes with Brent Spiner. I hope they are able to bring his character back. The production report quoted an interview he had given to Army Archerd that seems to indicate he's open to it. And a member of the crew said that when Brent and Scott Bakula are on screen together that the results are "electric. It looks really, really good." I'm keeping my fingers figuratively crossed.

There are so many people here that I have missed. I hope to be able to chat with you all soon. TTFN

Great to read a post from you Takara..I hope you're able to visit with us from time to time..That would be great.. ^_^ We have all missed you here..Yeah, we're all pretty excited about Brent being on Enterprise this season..Should be fantastic..

I've stopped in for a visit. I hope they will be much more frequent. All I can say is damn depression. One of the symptoms of depression is losing interest in something you enjoy and, believe it or not, that struck me in my heart and stole my desire to come here.

I'm really looking forward to the start of season 4 of Enterprise.

There are so many people here that I have missed. I hope to be able to chat with you all soon.  TTFN

259863[/snapback]

WB Takara! Long time no see. I, too, am battling depression. I can appreciate losing interest in things you once loved to do and such. You're in my prayers.

I also look forward to the next season of Enterprise . AND to another hockey pool. ^_^ I've already begun a mental list for my as-yet-unnamed-team. see ya!

Jaz :pepsi:

I'm really looking forward to the start of season 4 of Enterprise.

There are so many people here that I have missed. I hope to be able to chat with you all soon.  TTFN

259863[/snapback]

WB Takara! Long time no see. I, too, am battling depression. I can appreciate losing interest in things you once loved to do and such. You're in my prayers.

I also look forward to the next season of Enterprise . AND to another hockey pool. ^_^ I've already begun a mental list for my as-yet-unnamed-team. see ya!

Jaz :pepsi:

259875[/snapback]

It's always good to find others who are experiencing depression too. That did not sound the way I mean it. I think it can be difficult for people who have never experienced it to truly understand what it's like. I think I need to talk to my doctor about some different drugs.

As for the pool, I just hope we have a hockey season to have a pool for. :dude:

It is certainly good to be back at STF for good. I've still got many of the symptoms of depression that I've been struggling with but it seems to have finally given up its grip on my enjoyment of STF. This is the second day in a row I've been to the boards and it feels so right to be here. YEA!!!

So much to get caught up on now. I'm going to have to be like Santa and find out whose been naughty and whose been nice.

Still working on my family tree although it is getting more difficult now. I have a cousin in Montreal who I recently found out is also delving into family history so it's nice to have someone to commiserate with over our lack of success in tracking down anything about our grandfather and great-grandmother. One of my uncles contacted another (my cousin's father) about an audiotape he had made of his mother talking about family history. He's going to send it to my uncle who is going to make a copy and possibly transfer it to CD and send it to me and my cousin. Hopefully it will have a few new clues regarding my grandfather and my grandmother's mother. Her family has been a mystery to me as well.

I miss hockey. I wish they would settle this stupid labour dispute and just play the game. After watching such great hockey during the World Cup of Hockey, it's even more difficult to go through this. It's like someone giving you a taste of the most incredible chocolate (like Bernard Callebaut) and then taking all chocolate away from you so you only have that lingering sensation on your tongue. Good thing I've got a small supply of regular chocolate at my computer. I've made myself hungry. D'OH!!!

I actually had a spurt of energy yesterday and put up some new venetian blinds that I've had for over month. I replaced ones in my bedroom that fit my windows much better. Two of the old ones from my room went in to Chantelle's room. One of my old ones and one of Chantelle's old one was then put up in our playroom. I later put up the blinds for the kitchen. It is really great to have the blinds in the playroom. The sun in the morning always made it difficult to see the monitor so we had been taping a piece of bristle board on the window to block it. Now we don't have to do that! YEA!!

Not much has happened over the past few months so I think I'll end this entry.

I feel for you and the depression. I too have it, I am in my second bout at 23 and have taken myself off of meds, my doctor is now looking at psychology based thereapies (i.e. Talking about what has been getting me down) I hope whoever she finds to talk to me has the rest of their lives then, cause I have a lot of things that could have done this.

Its nice to see you have regained some of the energy and your passion for STF, it is really nice to see that you are getting slowly back to the things you like/love.. The same is true for me. danged depression . Any how its nice to see you about. We have all missed you!

I am glad to you are back on the board. You where missed. I hate the fact there isn't going to be a hockey season. :flowers:

My creative juices have taken me into a new area. I'm currently redesigning the DataLoreFiction website. It took me three days, a template and about 7 different software programs but I finally have a working Flash index page for the site that looks pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. I haven't uploaded it to the site yet as I need to run a few more checks on it and I'd like to get the whole site done first. Hopefully I'll get the rest done before Halloween.

My daughter is really looking forward to Halloween this year. She loves getting dressed up and going door to door. She doesn't like candy though so that means my mother and I pick through what she doesn't like and give the rest away. My sweetie wants to dress up as Data again this year and is insisting that I, once again, go as Lore.

My daughter is also counting the days until the Spongebob Squarepants movie comes out. She goes to the Nick website and to the movie website to check out new trailers and play the games.

WOO HOO!!! The second last of my Christmas presents has arrived. We used my mom's Air Miles to get me a digital camera for Christmas. I ordered it a couple of days before Christmas and they said it would take 3-4 weeks so this is early. Now I just have two manuals that are almost bigger than the actual camera to read through. LOL The camera I got is a Konica Minolta DiMage Z3 I had a Minolta Maxxum SLR camera years ago that I loved so I have confidence in the brand.

Only have one more delivery that I'm waiting for. I hope it will get here soon. It should have come last week but I've read there is quite a delay with getting mail across the border right now.

School's back in tomorrow for my daughter. Once again WOO HOO!!! Hopefully the bus won't be too late. The windchill temperature is supposed to be -39C (-38F) in the morning but then get warmer until the week end when it's going to get cold as heck again. I certainly won't be going out tonight. The overnight lows with windchill reflected are between -45 and -50C (-49 and -58F). I saw a report on the CBC evening news tonight that was done in Regina, Saskatchewan talking about the cold temperatures in Manitoba and Saskatchewan right now. The reporter said that, because of the temperature, school in some areas had been cancelled, "something rare in the Prairies". I wish I could take a picture with my new camera of RC's face when she reads those temperatures. LOL

I'm bundled up in my house with my new camera so I'm happy.

It's still cold as heck off and on. Just when we get a break from the cold, it snows and then gets really cold again. What a horrible cycle!

After getting my digital camera I realized I needed to upgrade my printer. Good thing I have points collected through so many places that I was able to get one. My current printer is a Lexmark and I really like it so I decided to stick with that. I've never gone for the "all in one" printers before but thought I would give it a try so I got a Lexmark P6250 photo printer, scanner and copier in one. I've wanted to get a scanner for some time but I don't have the room for it on my desk so it would be either get an "all in one" or get a printer, scanner and new desk. I don't have THAT many points. lol Unfortunately, I forgot to buy a stupid USB cable to hook the printer up to my computer (I always forget they don't come with the printer) so I won't know it works the one I ordered arrives in a couple of days.

I decided to use all the points I have so I also got Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse bundle (I love it!) and a DVD-RW drive (accidently got an external drive though). I burned my first DVD last night and am in the process of burning one for Major Viper. I tried the one I burned for myself and it worked really well.

Now I'm going to start collecting points for a new flat screen monitor and to add some more memory for my computer and I should be happy for another year or so.

Oh, that last delivery I mentioned I was still waiting for in my last entry finally arrived last week. I can't talk about it though because these are family boards. :P lol

That is really cool i will be getting my camera done as well. It is getting fixed in the shop i always had a passion of photography.