Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan IDIC

My Great Uncle's Story

I though that it would be appropriate to share this story today. I never met my Uncle because he died before I was born, but my grandmother remembers his story very well and has shared it with us. If anyone else has story about someone from their family to tell please share it with us.

He tried to join the Army when the war started, but they wouldn't take him because he had a small problem with his eyes. Later on he was actually drafted by them. While serving he wound up being in one of the worst battles in WWII history, The Battle Of The Bulge. The battle was in the middle of winter and it was freezing cold. He was an infantry man and while figthing in this battle he was wounded, shot in the back. The corpsmen came by him and decided that he was dead, so they took him to the area where they were holding those who had been killed. One of the other soldiers was checking dog tags of all of the casualties and noticed that he was still breathing. He could see his breath coming out of his nose. He pulled him out and noticed that the blood on his back had frozen and acted like a clog to stop the bleeding. He received his purple heart and he lived with some minor problems from his wound for the rest of his life.

I wish I could have met him so I could have talked to him personally.

:laugh:

An interesting story. it's amazing how some people can survive the circumstances like that. While the weather in Bastogne in the winter of 1944 certainly did cause many problems for soldiers on both sides, this is one circumstance where the weather actually saved someone's life.

I found this story in a county history in Virginia-

My fourth great grandfather was an infantryman in the Revolutionary War - he was on sentry duty when a person approached and failed to give the password so he wouldn't let the person pass. It turned out to be General Washington who praised him for doing his duty (according to the story they were going to hang him for holding a gun on Gen Washington but who knows if that is true)