Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ The Lightening ~

The monkeys watched them bringing in the meat and going down into the hole in center of the great room floor. The door was leaning back against the table. A few times Sam and the girls wanted to help, or they were just curious and tried climbing down the ladder but were quickly ejected by Chakotay. Amid a flurry of screaming protests. Eventually they got the message and retreated to the nest to watch. It took several trips to carry it all down to the cellar. When they were finished Chakotay and Janeway sat down by the fire to catch their breath. "I'll drag what's left of the carcass back into the forest." Chakotay said after a minute. "That should keep those scavengers away from the cabin. Then I'll finish washing the pelt." He added.

As Chakotay walked to the stream dragging the sled behind him he could hear the preditory birds high up in the trees calling to each other. He looked up frequently and then back at the dis-membered carcass on the sled to make sure it wasn't falling off. At a spot far enough away from the cabin, he sat down in the snow and pushed it off with his feet onto the ground. He then continued towards the stream dragging the sled. Noticing the trail the heavy pelt made, it had uncovered some still green, growing matter that was buried before. He pulled up some leafy, edible plants along the way and planned on collecting them on his way back. He got to the stream and the current had surely been doing it's job on the pelt. It was a different color now, much lighter and all the fur was flowing and swaying in the water. Now free of all dirt and hopefully all the foul odor. He hauled it out of the water. He looked at the sled and decided to give that a good wash since the last thing on it was the filthy soaped up pelt. On his way back now he collected the greens and pulled up a few more roots he had spotted.

When Chakotay returned to the cabin he found Janeway in the great room. She was sitting at the table and working on her PADD. She looked up as he walked through the door, carrying the now clean pelt.

"Well it certainly looks better clean." She said.

"Yes it does. Now we just have to let it dry." Chakotay agreed. Pulling the frame far enough away from the fire Chakotay draped the pelt over it.

"You know Chakotay. It's been over three months since we've heard from Tuvok. I'm really beginning to think they are never coming for us." Janeway said sadly. Chakotay was tired of the harangue and decided not to start it up again with her. So he had to come up with something else to occupy her thoughts for a while. Something pleasant. Something happy. He thought hard for a few minutes then said.

"We really should give these little guys some names." Chakotay said. Janeway set her PADD down and went over to check on Delilah and her babies.

"Good idea." She agreed. "Any suggestions?"

Just as they sat down the two restless infants began to stir in the nest after their nap. Delilah watched them as the began to climb down from the nest and chase each other around the room. It appeared that the smaller of the two was trying to catch the larger one then as soon as he touched him the larger one would turn and chase the smaller one. Janeway and Chakotay sat and watched, laughing at their antics.

"That bigger boy is a Pip isn't he?" Janeway said.

"He sure is." Chakotay agreed. "And the little one just loves to play Tag." Chakotay added.

"Well, there we are, 'Pip' and 'Tag', it fits them, doesn't it?" Janeway said. Chakotay replied. "I'll say it does."

The two tiny monkeys chased each other around the room in their game. Delilah watched them from the nest, taking the opportunity to rest. Tag chased Pip right under the table and the two of them ducked in and out of Janeway and Chakotay's legs, hooting in delight when one of them caught the other. After a while they retreated back to their mother and fell asleep.

Janeway continued her blood testing, as usual, for the virus's progress. It was still present and the counts were increasing. Janeway had bad days as did Chakotay. Janeway's were especially bad because of her prenancy. Chakoktay didn't complain on his.

The winter here on "New Earth" continued. Janeway not able to get around to forage for roots and greens like she was before, Chakotay took up that task for her. The stores of meat were feeding them well, as well as the monkeys. Pip and Tag were growing rapidly as well as Rommy and Remmy were nearly full grown by now.

On occasion there were brief periods of storm-like conditions when the roof of the cabin as well as the ground around it were pelted with small stones. An occurance neither of them could explain nor understand. The attributed it to the long line of strange occurances that had been happening over the past year.

"Look what I've got." Chakotay said to Janeway as he came through the cabin door amid a tangle of green branches. " I thought it might cheer up the nest a bit if I hung these up on the frame of the nest for the babies to climb on." Janeway just smiled and watched him weave the branches across and around the canopy of the monkey's nest. As soon as he was done the babies as well as Rom, Rem and Sam and Delilah were climbing up on them. "That was a nice idea." Janeway said asshe held her back and threw another log onto the fire.

As the winter wound down , the days grew longer and Janeway, Chakotay and Sam and his little family began to venture outside more. The temperatures rose and the snow melted. The signs of springtime on "New Earth" were everywhere. The songbirds returned, the forest floor began to explode with new growth and the partially frozen stream ran freely again. Janeway decided a good cleaning was in order for the cabin. And of course Chakotay did whatever she asked him to do. She was nesting. Her time was drawing closer and according to her's and the Doctor's computations she would be a mother in about six weeks.

One warm morning as she and Chakotay were dragging the beds, blankets, lockers, lab equipment, and the skin from the animal that had fed them for the past 4 months outside to be washed and to dry in the sunshine, the tri-corder chirped. "Captain? Captain?" was heard from inside the cabin. It was Tuvok. The babies, Pip and Tag were now fully functional and attacked the tri-corder thinking it was a small animal, and ran out the door and into the forest with it. This was their first display of independence and Chakotay took off after them followed close behind by a screaming Sam and Delilah, Remmy and Rommy. Janeway, too big now to join in the chase sat down on a log and waited for them all to come back.

As Janeway sat there waiting a familiar sensation overtook her. The ground again began to vibrate and shake. Sitting there alone she became very frightened and began calling for Chakotay even though he was well out of earshot. Yet she continued to call him. The remaining snow that clung to the branches began to fall onto the ground all around the cabin and at the very same time small stones began swirling around in mid air in front of her. This further agitated her and she began to scream even louder.

When from the forest emerged something she didn't recognize. A great animal, covered with black fur and gleaming red eyes, standing on it's hind legs was walking menacingly towards Janeway. She jumped up off the log and ran in to the cabin door and slammed it shut then placed the large wooden bolt across the inside. Then she went silent, hoping this Thing would go away. She scrambled around looking frantically for her phaser, and once she found it, set it on kill and sat on the hearth in front of the fireplace facing the door. She sat there and waited.

Outside she could hear the animals grunt's and roars as it tore through their posessions. Since there were no windows in the cabin she had no way to watch. She wondered perhaps if the carcass they had left in the forest, now thawed was attracting hungry animals. Or perhaps her screaming for Chakotay attracted it. Either way it didn't matter at this point, she had to remain quiet and hope that it would leave.

Voyager remained at the space station in the nebula for a few weeks. The station provided a safe harbor for those who came there to trade. No violence was permitted on the station or outside in it's immediate vicinity. The second day that Voyager was there they got a demonstration of this. The crew of a Kazon raider tried to board another ship that they accused of cheating them. The station's weapon systems crippled the Kazon vessel and forced it to limp out of the nebula and to another port on impulse power.

Tuvok and the crew of Voyager took this opportunity to repair and upgrade the ship's systems. Neelix was able to practice his hand at haggling. Even Tuvok was impressed by how many much needed parts and equipment he was able to acquire. After nearly a week Voyager was fully repaired and Belanna and her team in engineering had even been able to enhance Voyager's shields and weapon systems. While the crew completed a few remaining system checks before the resumed course for 'New Earth' where Janeway and Chakotay were waiting for them. Neelix was taking the opportunity to see if he could pick up any last minute items on the station that Voyager might need.

Neelix was in a shop on the station. The owner of the shop had a device that Neelix had never seen before. The shop owner was working hard on selling the object to Neelix. "It's origin is unfamiliar to me but I have scanned it and it's some kind of advanced sensor device. I've been unable to interface it with anything I have here." The shopkeep explained.

"Interesting. But I don't think it's anything we could use. Voyager's sensors are very advanced." Neelix countered.

"Well I'm really trying to get rid of it anyway. I could let you have it for a copy of your ship's star charts." The merchant offered.

"It's a deal." Neelix used his PADD to download a copy of Voyager's charts to the alien's computer. He exited the shop carrying the device and made his way to the station's transporter room. After beaming back to Voyager he left the device in Engineering.

In the briefing room Neelix told everyone about the device. "If it really is an advanced piece of sensor equipment and we can interface it with Voyager's sensors we could increase our speed through the nebula." Harry Kim observed.

"Agreed. Ensign Kim. I want you to work with Lt Torres to integrate the device with Voyager's systems. In the mean time we'll resume our course to 'New Earth'." Tuvok said. As everyone was leaving the room Tuvok stopped Neelix. "Mr Neelix. I found your bartering while on the station to have been most efficient."

Neelix felt like he was going to burst with pride. Coming from Tuvok this was high praise. "Thank you Commander. I did my best." He replied. Neelix hummed a song to himself as he cooked lunch that day for the crew.

Getting the alien device to work wasn't an easy task. Belanna was able to get it connected to Voyager's sensors and powered up but neither Harry Kim or her were able to get it to work with Voyager's sensors properly. All the computer could make from it's readings was gibberish. It wasn't until Harry was able to write a program that translated the information the device transmitted into a form Voyager's computer could interpret, that the device provided them with any useful sensor data. When the first streams of information were finally read by the computer they were astonished by how clearly the device enabled them to scan the nebula. With their newly enhanced sensors Voyager's crew could plot a course straight through the nebula to the other side without having to crawl along to avoid the pockets of denser matter in the nebula. They could now see in the dark.

By going straight through the nebula Voyager shaved several days off of it's journey. Exiting the nebula they scanned for any signs of pursuit. "Nothing on long range scans. Either inside or out of the nebula." Harry Kim reported.

"It is highly improbable that the Vidiians are still pursuing us. If they are we have out distanced them by a considerable margin. Lt Paris. Set a course for 'New Earth.' Warp 8." Tuvok said.

As Voyager sped towards the distant planet Harry Kim and Tom Paris went off duty. As they were in the mess eating their dinner Harry Kim filled Tom in on what he had learned about the alien device. "Whoever designed it obviously had a lot of experience dealing with dark matter. I think it was specifically designed to work inside of the nebula or another one similar to it." Harry said.

"I wonder how that trader came across it?" Tom asked.

"There's no telling. I've never seen anything like it. I'll bet whoever lost it would like to have it back." Harry added.

7 of 9 notices something odd happening in Astrometrics. She can't understand these new readings showing on her starscreen. She taps her com-badge.

"Captain Tuvok, could I see you in Astrometrics right away, there is something you need to see." He answers.

"I'll be right there 7." Tuvok enters the lab.

"Look at these readings." She says to him.

"Ah, very unusual, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before." He says.

"Neither have I." She says.

Tuvok and 7 study the screen and look at the sensor readings.

"Some sort of magnetic radiation." 7 guesses.

"Do you think this has anything to do with that device Neelix acquired and had integrated into the ship's computer?" She asks.

"May very well be. Let's get B'lanna down here to see this, she may have an explanation." Tuvok taps him com-badge.

"B'lanna, this is Tuvok, could you come to astrometrics." He asks.

"I'm on my way." She answers.

The three ponder this event they are watching and discuss possible explanations for this new found sensor reading and visual display. Tuvok points out.

"There is 'New Earth" and there is this aura around the planet.I do hope The Captain and Chakotay are alright down there. My last transmission to them had so much interference, it sounded quite odd. At this range we should have had no problem. I suspect there may be problems we weren't aware of."

The alien device now integrated into Voyager's sensors allowed them to get an enhanced scan of 'New Earth'. From the scans they could see immediately that their was something wrong with the planet. "Our scans show that the planet's magnetic field is fluctuating." Harry Kim explained to the group now assembled in the briefing room. "The planet's gravitational field is also showing signs of instability." He continued. "Is this a permanent condition or will the planet return to normal?" B'lanna asked. "Right now it's impossible to tell." Harry replied. "We need to get to 'New Earth' as soon as possible. Who know what's going on down there. The Captain and Chakotay may be in danger." Tom Paris said. "Agreed. The Captain and Chakotay are our first priority. Ensign Kim, I want you to continue to study this new data. Lt Torres I want you to increase our warp speed as much as possible. You are all dismissed." Tuvok ordered.

Back on New Earth:

As Janeway waited for either this creature to end it's rampage of their belongings or be chased off if Chakotay came back. A few shots with the phaser would do that or enrage the animal and Chakotay would end up killing it. If the later should happen it would mean more meat and a better situation for them all. The monkeys seemed to thrive on all this meat they have had over the past few months. Delilah was back to her old self but Janeway was showing the strain of her pregnacy. Her back bothered her contantly and she had signs of Eclampsia, unbenounced to her. Her blood pressure was elevated and she generally didn't feel well most of the time. So sitting here, stressed and scared was a precarious situation for her. If she fainted and this animal decided to try to get into the cabin, she could be killed.

On the bridge of an alien ship an officer reported to his Captain.

"Sir? We've detected a sensor signal from one of our ships that was destroyed several months ago."

The Captain looked at the data presented to him. On his data screen the image of an unfamiliar starship was displayed.

"What do we have in the database about this ship?" He asked his officer.

"Nothing Sir. It's completely unknown to us."

While it wasn't clear from this extremely limited information who these newcomers were and whether or not they were responsible for the destruction of their comrades' ship, the Captain intended to find out.

"Set an intercept course and engage the phase cloak."

The alien ship shimmered out of this reality just as it went to warp, heading straight towards Voyager.

Chakotay chased the monkeys deeper into the woods. Just as he almost caught one of them it would toss the tri-corder to his accomplice. Jumping from tree to tree they played their game wit Chakotay. Just when he was about to give up Pip and Tag lost interest in the tri-corder and let it fall to the forest floor. Picking it up Chakotay examined it to make sure it was still functional. Satisfied that it was he tucked it into his belt and started back for the cabin. An uneasy feeling came over him and he picked up his pace. Overhead Sam and Delilah had rounded up their children and were making their way back as well.

Near the cabin Chakotay saw the underbrush pushed aside and trampled, something big had come this way. Instantly Chakotay knew it was heading straight for the cabin. "Catherine!" The word stuck in his throat. Pulling his phaser from his belt he ran, low hanging branches grabbed at him but he shoved them aside, letting them rip at his clothes.

In a rush he emerged into the clearing. All of the things he and Janeway had brought outside to wash were scattered about everywhere. Most of them ripped apart. The creature was nowhere to be seen. He ran to the cabin. The door was shut and wouldn't budge. "Catherine! Catherine!" He shouted, banging at the door. "Catherine! Are you alright? It's me! Open the door"

"OH, I thought you'd never get back here." She shouted as she removed the large wooden bolt from across the inside of the door. "Is it gone?" She sasked caustiously, almost in a whisper. "It appears so, after he had his way with our things. Look at our beds, they are mangled." They both walked around outside amid the rubble strewn about."Where's Sam and Delilah?" She asked him. "Did you get the tri-corder back?" "I have the tri-corder right here. Sam and Delilah were above me in the trees. I'm not sure if they followed me." Chakotay replied.: In answer to his question Pip and Tag came bounding out of the forest. Deciding that the ruins of Janeway and Chakotay's things would make an excellent playground they hooted and squeeled. Throwing bits of ruined furniture around and pelting each other with the stuffing from Chakotay's mattress.

Edited by Jeanway

Chakotay spent the rest of the day trying to salvage what he could of their belongings. Janeway tried to help him.

"Catherine? You look exhausted. Why don't you try to get some rest. I can take care of this." Chakotay suggested. Janeway started to protest but she had to admit to herself that she was feeling very tired. Chakotay managed to repair the beds and brought hers back into the cabin so she could lay down after her ordeal. She layed down and fell asleep in her room.

Meanwhile Chakotay busied himself washing and bringing back those things that were left. The monkeys ran around him, always getting in his way and scrapping and fighting with each other like children. As he finished bringing in the last few things, he also brought in some firewood and got the fire going for their evening meal. He opened the cellar door in the floor and went down to get some meat and what was remaining of the roots and greens. Once the fire was ready he threw slabs of meat on the grate and had a large pot of water boiling for the roots.

"Catherine." He whispered through a crack in her bedroom door. She moaned then answered him.

"Yes, what is it?" She said groggily.

"Are you hungry?" He asked.

"Mmmmm, I'm starved." She answered. She got up and went outside for a moment to visit the outhouse then returned to find he had set the table and her meal was waiting for her.

As they finished their meal. The monkeys sat in their nest chewing on chunks of cooked meat and roots. The younger ones, Pip and Tag fell over tangled up with each other and fell asleep. Remmy and Rommy along with their parents picked at and groomed each other for a while then eventually decided to sleep too. Janeway and Chakotay sat in front of the fire and finished eating and inspecting the tri-corder to make sure it still worked. 'Push the test button." Chakotay said to her. They both laughed.

Janeway stretched and held her back while still sitting at the table."How's your back?" He asked her. "Better since I got some rest." She answered. "I'll clean up here, you go to bed, I'll be fine." She told him. He got up and walked towards his bedroom when the tri-corder chirped.

"Captain, this is Tuvok, are you there?" He asked. Janeway picked up the tri-corder and held it close to her face and answer. "Yes, Tuvok, I'm here." He continued. "My last transmission wasn't answered, are you alright?" "Yes, we are fine here, still waiting for you to get here, what's the hold up?" She asked. " We've had some problems with repairs but we are done now and on our way." He answered. "Oh, that's a relief." She answered. Tuvok continued. "Captain, are you experiencing anything unusual there? Anything out of the ordinary?" Janeway answered. "Why as a matter of fact Tuvok, there have been some unusual occurances over the past few months. Chakotay and I have been concerned. Why?" She asked.

Chakotay came back and sat down at the table to listen. Tuvok explained to them about the sensor readings Voyager had of the planet. "Ensign Kim is working on several theories but we have limited data so far." Tuvok explained. "I'll transmit the readings I've taken with the tri-corder. That might help." Janeway said.

After making a brief report Tuvok wished them both well until his next transmission. Sitting back in his chair Chakotay digested the new information they had learned.

"At least we know now that we weren't imagining all of these unusual incidents." Chakotay said.

"What ever is going on it's planet wide. With only a tri-corder to work with we would have never figured it out. They'll have a better chance of solving this puzzle on Voyager." Janeway said.

Onboard Voyager Ensign Kim reviewed the data that Captain Janeway had transmitted to Voyager. When he added them to sensor readings he had collected he reached his conclusion. "Ensign Kim to Tuvok." He tapped his com badge. "I've found something that you should see." Tuvok reviewed Kim's findings, the data was without error. "New Earth is loosing it's gravitational field." He said. "That's the only conclusion I've been able to reach. It explains all of the strange occurances on the planet and the odd readings we've been getting." Harry explained. "How long before the planet's gravity is gone completely?" Tuvok asked him. "With this data I'm not sure, it could be months or years. But I think it would be a good idea if we rendevous with the Captain and Chakotay as soon as possible."

* In this sector of the Delta Quadrant, this is happening to many of the planets. "New Earth" is just one of many whose orbits around larger planets are being changed by an unknown force. The possibility of planets actually colliding with each other is a definate possiblity. Since the "Omega Molecule" had been detected here it could be playing a major part in this dilemma. It's advantagious for Voyager to rescue Janeway and Chakotay as soon as possible and escape this area of the Delta Quadrant, escape into the Void.*

Edited by Jeanway

On board the alien ship, it's Captain watched his viewscreen. It's course and speed were updated constantly.

"What are they doing?" He thought to himself. The ship was on a course straight into a area of space that his people had forbidden their ships to travel through. Several centuries ago one of his race's most brilliant scientists began experimenting with a highly dangerous particle. Unstable, it was capable of yielding vast amounts of energy, but if it could be harnessed it would have ushered in a golden age for his people. The experiments ended in disaster. Containment of the particle failed and the resulting catastrophe had destroyed several star systems.

"By the Gods. These aliens don't know where they're heading." The Captain thought. His first officer approached.

"You are aware of where the aliens are heading?" The Captain asked him.

"Yes Sir. If they're attempting to retrieve the Omega Molecule from one of the unstable planets in the forbidden sector they could trigger another cataclysm." He answered.

"We cannot allow that. I was willing to hear their 'story' of how they came about having a piece of our technology on their ship but now I no longer have the luxury of diplomacy. Increase our speed to maximum. Prepare the ship for battle." The Captain ordered. His first officer saluted, then carried out his Captain's orders.

This news left Janeway and Chakotay both anxious and relieved at the same time. Knowing that their rescue was soon at hand yet also knowing that the planet they were on was teetering on the brink of catastrophe. Fearing anymore incidents, precursors of the planets eventual demise they found it difficult to sleep or eat. They rarely were apart now. They kept the family of primates within sight too as they came to love them. One day Janeway said to Chakotay "You know, we can't leave them here when we go." Chakotay had felt the same way but hadn't brought it up fearing her objections. "I'm so glad you said that Catherine, I've felt that way too for quite a while now." He answered. "I wonder how they will get along with the rest of the crew once we are back on Voyager?" She said. " I hope no one thinks of them as food, especially Worf. He might try to have Neelix cook one of them." They both laughed.

One night, not long after that, they experienced the worst Plasma storm yet on the planet. Not only was the lightening furocious, hitting the cabin a number of times but also the trees and started a fire that nearly burned the cabin down to the ground. The monkeys paniced and clinged the Janeway and Chakotay as they escaped the flames and made their way to a cave near the lagoon they used to frequent before they had moved the camp. Chakotay found this cave on his way up the mountain on his Vision Quest. They waited out the storm with a couple of blankets and a their tri-corder hoping to hear something from Tuvok about their progress.

As the storm raged on they remained in the cave. Chakotay would venture out occasionally to return to the partially burned out cabin for food and to escort the monkeys away from the cave when nature called as to not foul up the air in the cave. But they were close knit and seldom ran off if the rest of the family was still in the cave. He also collected greens from around the lagoon that were prevalent now in this springtime. On one of his trips out during the storm he found a cluster of flower blossoms that had been torn up from the ground and were floating in the lagoon. He retrieved them and stuffed them under his jacket for Janeway when he returned to the cave. He went back and handed her the pulled up roots and a cluster of berries which she began to eat and share with the monkeys, then he pulled out the flowers and smelled them then handed them to her. "Oh, you shouldn't have." She said as she smiled up at him. " Well, I thought you could do with a bit of cheering up." He said with his usual handsome smile.

It was three days now in the cave. The effects on Janeway were obvious. And finally it appeared that the storm was winding down. "Are we going to wait until the rain stops to go back or should we start back now?" Janeway asked him. He walked to the entrance of the cave and looked up at the sky. " It looks to be clearing Catherine I think it would be safe now. There hasn't been a lightening bolt in quite a few hours now." Janeway tried to get up off the dirt floor but had some trouble. "Here, let me help you." Chakotay offered. "Well, alright if you insist." She said in a strained voice. He helped her up, she brushed off the back of her pants and called to the monkeys. "Come on children, let's go home." Janeway was too sore and tired to carry any of them now so she just took Delilah's outstretched hand. Remmy, Rommy and Sam followed Chakotay as he carried Pip and Tag. Then headed back to the cabin.

Chakotay's heart sank as they caught their first sight of the cabin. Now charred, smoking and a mass of burned branches and small stones everywhere. Large piles of stones were piled up against the walls that remained and covered the what was left of the interior. "You know." Janeway began. "I've seen the stones flying around in the air before. They seemed to be racing up tree trunks on more than one occassion as well as bushes flying right up into the air and getting stuck in the trees." Chakotay thought for a moment then said. "Well, if the gravity is decreasing or fluctuating they may be getting caught in pockets of it and that's why they are doing this." Janeway added. 'I'm afraid of what is next as this gets worse." They looked at each other and fell silent at the prospect.

After a while they began to clean up the cabin, or what was left of it, to try to salvage what they could. "Catherine?" Chakotay asked as he dragged his bed out from a pile of branches. "What do you think about us going underground?" She looked at him, then at the cellar door. "Down there?" She said as she pointed to it. "Well, the door is still in tact, it wasn't disturbed. It may be our only protection at this point. I can go down and remove some more dirt and expand it so at least we'd be safe if another storm comes." She thought for a moment then said. "Well, at this point I don't think we have any other options, alright let's do it." Then he added. "Voyager is on it's way now, we shouldn't be here much longer anyway."

Chakotay and Janeway spent the next few hours in a salvaging attempt. Clearing away the debri from what was left of the great room. The bedrooms were buried. As Chakotay cleared out the mountain of stones in the fireplace Janeway tried to find the woodpile outside. She's pull out one log at a time then the stones would fill in that space and she had to continue digging. Slowly she was accumulating enough to start a fire in the fireplace. Chakotay had opened the trap door to the cellar and gone down with a shovel and a pail to begin digging out the walls a bit more to give them more space. The work was tendious and exhausting. And after three days in the cave waiting out the storm they began tired and hungry and food and rest were what they needed now, not hard physical labour.

Janeway came back in with her arms loaded down with logs and began to pile them up in the fireplace. She replaced the grate then used the phaser to start the fire. She rinsed the slabs of meat from the cellar in a pail of clean water from the stream. As the meat cooked the monkeys gathered around her, drooling and Chakotay came up the ladder from the cellar with his last pail of dirt for a while.

Edited by Jeanway

Finding the plates and eating utensils had escaped their attention until the meat, now sizzling over the fire was nearly cooked. "We have nothing to put the meat on." She said to Chakotay. They both scanned the wreckage around them with their eyes looking for them so they could cut up the meat and eat. "There." Janeway said as she pointed toward a pile of stones. Chakotay went at it furiously and within a minute pulled out a plate. "AHA." He said. Then continued to dig. He found what they needed but everything was on the opposite side of the room from where they were kept. "Some wind to move everything around like this." He said. "Yes, and remember, we were out in it." They both laughed.

As they began to eat, Janeway cut up the meat on her plate and fed the monkeys, sneaking a mouthful for herself in between. Chakotay attacked his slab and threw more onto the fire. "Any roots down there?" Janeway asked him. "Nope, nothing, just the meat." He answered. "Well, I best go out after we eat and try to find some then. " She said. 'We'll ALL go together Catherine, no telling what's around here now. With the smoke from the fire and the smell of the meat we need to keep our eyes open and our phasers with us at all times now." Janeway agreed and they finished eating.

After all the meat was gone and a brief rest Janeway, Chakotay and the monkeys left what was left of the cabin and walked towards the stream. Chakotay carried two pails and Janeway carried two. The monkey frollicked on the forest floor, running ahead, around and behind them in a swirl of childish play. Their antics amusing Janeway and Chakotay as they took turns relieving themselves on the ground then throwing it at each other in a sort of game. The odor was pungent and made a bath in the stream for all of them a neccesity now. "Let's get them cleaned up first, I need to wash myself too." Janeway said. "Yea, me too." Chakotay answered.

The morning was warm and the stream was overflowing it's banks from the storm. The clear water rushed over the rocks. Janeway set down her pails and began to undress partially, behind a bush. The monkeys ran into the stream and took care of their own washing. Playing and splashing each other. Chakotay took to his bush a few meters away and did the same. Janeway decided to wash her underclothes and strung them over a bush in the sunshine to dry. This gave Chakotay the same idea and he did the same. They spent a few hours at the stream just enjoying the water, drinking and sitting on the bank, out of each others sight but within earshot.

Edited by Jeanway

Janeway was stretched out in the sun on the grass, nearly falling asleep, Chakotay doing the same as the sound of the rushing water, the birds in the trees singing and the sun shining over them. This was the first time either of them had been alone and quiet in weeks. The monkeys were off in the forest foraging for food and could be heard off in the distance screaching and yapping at each other as they usually did. There they lay, relaxing and quiet. Janeway fell asleep. Chakotay didn't, he was watching and listening for any signs of trouble.

Through the forest the monkeys made their way back to the stream. Coming across it dragging branches loaded with bright red berries. They were closest to Chakotay and dragging them out of the water presented them to him on the opposite bank. Then fell down all around him on the grassy bank and stayed there. All six of them stretched out in the sun soaking wet with berry juice covering all their little faces. They had eaten their fill and were now sleepy. Chakotay plucked the berries off the branches, one at at time and popped them into his mouth. They were sweet and delicious. A fine desert after all that meat. He stripped the branches of what were left and put them in a pail for Janeway.

As the sun rose in the sky, nearly directly overhead now. It woke Janeway, she stirred a bit then sat up. She was sunburned, her entire body. She looked around then down at her red skin. She immediately went to the water's edge and rubbed the cool water all over herself. Then walked to the bush where she had hung her under garments and felt them, they were dry. She quickly put them on then her trousers and shirt. Chakokay could see movement behind the bush and called to her. "Did you have a nice Nap Catherine?" He asked. "Yes, wonderful." She answered. She walked over to Chakotay and sat down next to him on the bank. He reached over, grabbed the pail of berries and set them down in front of her. She looked into the pail and began grabbing them by the handful and pouring them into her mouth. "Delicious." She repeated over and over as she ate.

They sat there chatting like there was nothing at all wrong going on around them. The monkeys were all dozing around them on the grass.

All was peaceful here for most of the day. A well need respite from all the turmoil they were living through. They foraged for roots and greens, the tenderest now in this springtime on "New Earth", returned to the cabin refreshed and well fed.

As the sun went down it was to be their first night spent underground. Since all their temporary housing modules had been used in bits and pieces for other things that were now no where to be found. The roof of the cabin was gone either from the wind or the loss of gravity. The entire inside gutted from fire and masses of small stones covering mostly everything. Not the welcome enclave it once was for them. They are doing what they have to to survive. Go underground to sleep and to hide from animals who seem to show up on occasion to loot and rampage. With only a few hours of light left they busily tried to make the cellar as comfotable as possible, just for tonight. Tomorrow they would spend the day customizing their new sleeping quarters. "We have to do something about the smell, Chakotay." She told him. "Well, Catherine, it's the meat. We can't leave it outside, the animals will get it. Let me try to figure something out, but not tonight. In the morning, let's get some sleep." He told her. They settled into what was left of their blankets and some soft leaves on the foor of the cellar. The monkeys fussed for a while but after Chakotay pulled the door shut over them and it was dark, they settled down and fell asleep.

Edited by Jeanway

Back on Voyager Tuvok is informed of an approaching ship on long-range sensors. 'Put it on the view-screen". He orders.

"What's that noise?" Janeway said in the dark as she reached over and shook Chakotay out of his sleep. "Huh, what?" He answered. "Listen." She whispered. "You hear it?" She asked. "UMM, yea, yes I do, what is that?" He asked her now. "I'd better go take a look." He whispered. "Alright, but be careful." She said. Chakotay felt his way around on the dirt floor to find the bottom of the ladder then climbed up and pushed on the trap door. He saw light but more light than usual. The four moons illuminate the night here on "New Earth" quite well. But this light he was just beginning to see as he opened the door above him was much brighter than this. And it wasn't a constant light, more of a strobing light. He thought to himself it may be a ship. Cautiously he opened the door enough so he could climb out. He stood there in the middle of the roofless great room and looked up into the sky.

Edited by Jeanway