Sign in to follow this  
borgdrone222

First Contact Uniforms

Star Trek Universe Reason- the uniforms change to reflect the times, like the FC Uniforms look more militeristic, since they're fighting a war

Real World Reason- to suit the actors needs and also to just be different for the big screen

Maybe the continuous changing of the design of the uniforms could reflect a change in Starfleet's objectives. with uniforms that are half black and half division color, you are emphasising what branch you are in. by having a uniform that is mostly black, with the grey or purple shoulders and only a small section of your division color showing, you could say that Starfleet is putting more emphasis on unity rather than career fields. in the American Military, ther only way you can tell what job a sailor does is by one patch on their rank insignia. for officers or other services, it's harder to tell.

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman

Why didn't they just go with the "First Contact" uniform from Generations and use it on DS9-onwards? Wouldn't that of made things easier? I think it'd be kinda hard to confuse the "battle version" with the "exploration version" don't you? :flowers: :unsure: .

Star Trek Universe Reason- the uniforms change to reflect the times, like the FC Uniforms look more militeristic, since they're fighting a war

Real World Reason- to suit the actors needs and also to just be different for the big screen

The uniforms were created for First Contact, not DS9, so the war had nothing to do with it.

As for the topic starter, the First Contact uniforms aren't really a new uniform, but more of an update to the DS9/VOY uniform.

Why didn't they just go with the "First Contact" uniform from Generations and use it on DS9-onwards?

I've no idea what you're talking about. Generations was suppose to introduce a new uniform that probably would have been the new starship uniform while DS9 would use the space station uniforms. However, they didn't have time to design them and ended up showing a transition from the TNG uniforms to the DS9 uniforms implying that DS9 was experrimenting with a new uniform durring seasons 1 & 2 instead of it being the "space station" uniform standard. First Contact's uniforms were ment to be an update of the DS9/VOY uniform rather than a new uniform all together.

I think it'd be kinda hard to confuse the "battle version" with the "exploration version" don't you? :unsure: :flowers: .

There is no battle version and explorration version. The use one uniform at a time, although they do have a special uniform for ground forces as seen in a few DS9 episodes.

Ok sorry, i didn't realize till after i posted how badly worded that was. What i meant was, why didn't they just create the First Contact uniform for Generations and use it from then on? And what i meant by "battle version" and "exploration version" is simply because it seems like if it weren't for the recent conflicts the First Contact uniform might not exist, and the First Contact uniform, since it does exist would have made the "uniform standard error" in Generations moot, as the costume department would've easily distinguished between the tng uniform and the First Contact uniform. :flowers:

Well, the Generations uniform, with the black uniform and department colour at the top is classified as a jump suit. The two reasons why Voyager went with that uniform is that they weren't expecting a long mission, just go to the badlands, and the FC uniforms didn't exist yet. Also, on DS9, the first seasons seemed that the Federation was just fixing up the station and being there to prevent the Cardassians from getting all uppity and reoccupying Bajor. Therefore, they just needed a basic uniform. Once First Contact was done with, and the increasing threat of the Dominion, the Federation knew that they must stay on DS9 for their survival, so the crew got the new uniforms as duty uniforms.

Ok sorry, i didn't realize till after i posted how badly worded that was. What i meant was, why didn't they just create the First Contact uniform for Generations and use it from then on?

Generations was going to have a uniform that would look like a cross between TNG & the TOS movie uniforms. However, they didn't have the time to make them, so decided to show a transition perriod of Starfleet adopting the experrimental DS9 uniforms.

And what i meant by "battle version" and "exploration version" is simply because it seems like if it weren't for the recent conflicts the First Contact uniform might not exist, and the First Contact uniform, since it does exist would have made the "uniform standard error" in Generations moot, as the costume department would've easily distinguished between the tng uniform and the First Contact uniform. :naughty:

Well, we could say that the uniforms reflect the times, but to be honest, the First Contact uniforms came out before the Dominion War and the Borg invasion of movie #8. The way I see it, the DS9 uniforms were being experrimented on DS9, then became the Starfleet standard durring Generations, and got an upgrade by First Contact. :bow:

My star trek universe theory is that Star Fleet changes uniforms to reflect the era or the mission. The ST II uniforms were more formal and militaristic because I get the idea that the Fedration was constantly on the defensive with Klingons and the Romulans. Later as we have seen in STNG those uniforms were altered to look less formal until they were changed all to gether to a more casual style. The uniforms worn in first contact were created because the Galxay had become a politically dangerous place again.

My star trek universe theory is that Star Fleet changes uniforms to reflect the era or the mission.

I think that's true, even with today's military and space program.

The ST II uniforms were more formal and militaristic because I get the idea that the Fedration was constantly on the defensive with Klingons and the Romulans.

Well, I wouldn't say it's becuase of the Klingons and Romulans, but rather that it's arround the time where Starfleet went from one of the major powers in the Alpha Quadrant to one of the major powers. It was to reflect a sience of formallity and power.

Later as we have seen in  STNG those uniforms were altered to look less formal until they were changed all to gether to a more casual style.

I agree. Those uniforms were to reflect an era of peace and formal explorration.

The uniforms worn in first contact were created because the Galxay had become a politically dangerous place again.

That can't be true as those uniforms came out before their major conflicts with the Dominion, Borg, and Remans. I simply saw them as an update to the DS9 uniforms, a way of showing Starfleet officers as the type you don't want to mess with.

I was kind of thinking of the events in Best of Both worlds. Star Fleet was decimated and they had to tighten things up a bit. This kind of fits in with showing the other powers that SF officers should not be messed with. Of course these uniforms were not introduced until a few years after that incident. To go along with the more militaristic uniforms the Enterprise E and the Defiant were vessels that were seemingly built for combat.

I have always liked the FC uniforms, but I think that the best reason for their explanation is how one of the Producers put it, when he was talking about the destruction of the 1701-D "They've been on the same ship for eight years! It's just time for a change of scenery." The same kind of applies to the gray and black uniforms.

I don't perticularly care why the uniforms change (according to the Trek universe), but as long as it doesn't happen to often or to drastically.

Yeah............too much disscusion on uniforms.......

Just one question, if you don't like discussing uniforms, why post in a topic devoted to one. Just a friendly question :unsure:

The uniforms were created for First Contact, not DS9, so the war had nothing to do with it.

As for the topic starter, the First Contact uniforms aren't really a new uniform, but more of an update to the DS9/VOY uniform.

I read that the uniforms were created darker because dark times were ahead for the Federation in the form of the Borg and the Dominion. Wearing a bright yellow/blue/red uniform would make you stand out on the battle field, so they were darkened down and made more durable.